Inbound and outbound question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, so I have a cloud setup with an access list that permits icmp traffic and tcp traffic on ports 80, 443 and 23. Everything works from my PC that I'm testing it on in GNS3. However! I initially put it on the outbound part of the interface and nothing work but then I tried the inbound option and everything works perfectly! One thing I don't get is WHY? I thought outbound would have meant that everything coming from outside the interface would come into contact with the ACL and the inbound was for things that came from inside the interface! This is really confusing!

Any explanation would be very helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    I thought outbound would have meant that everything coming from outside the interface would come into contact with the ACL and the inbound was for things that came from inside the interface! This is really confusing!

Outbound is what's leaving the router via exit interface.
    Inside is what's being received on the interface i.e. coming into the router.
    From other questions you have asked, it looks like you don't understand extended acl's and the difference between src and dst addressing.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes I need some clarity on it, just a couple of lines and maybe an example for me to just grasp the last part that is stopping me from getting it!