Options

TestOut Security Pro?

Anyone tried this:

Security Pro

I used TestOut / Labsim for my CCNA training via WGU, and I thought it was really good. Student price for Security Pro is $495, which isn't terrible.
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UMUC heavily relies on the Labsim courses for their IT track classes. While I think they are excellent for running a class and teaching a topic, I have never felt prepared for a certification after completing any of the Labsim courses. Now, the only Labsim course that I haven't taken is.... Security Pro. I had the S+ and got a pass on that class. I have taken nearly all of their other courses and their CCNA course was by far the best.

As for the certification itself, it doesn't have any name recognition and won't help much. It is essentially a copy of the S+. Seeing that you already have the S+, I wouldn't recommend dropping $500 on that course unless you need to renew or get into the CE side of S+.

If I could recommend a significantly less expensive route for studying for S+, it would be Darril Gibsons books. They are really all you need for S+.

B
  • Options
    And I forgot to mention that the TestOut exams are unproctored online tests, so I don't imagine them gaining much traction until that changes...

B
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    thanks for the input, I was more looking for the learning side of it, I'm sure the TestOut cert is crap. Like you mentioned, I thought their CCNA training was top notch, so if their Security was similar, I would be good.

However I don't care about the Security+, more so the training involved. But yeah, $500 is a lot to drop for an unknown. Maybe I can find a 50% discount somewhere
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Gotcha. Not sure if Rob Tracy is the narrator for that class, but he did make a quick appearance in the Cisco videos. If you don't remember him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG033L53zlE

Either way, good luck with the studies.

B
  • Options
    I hit up their online chat, they are going to open the course up for me for 2 days so I can take a look to see if it is something I am interested in
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Excellent! I was not aware they did that.

B
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    I took a class at a local community college this summer that used Labsim Security Pro and we got it for $89. My understanding is that students can get the same or similar discount. If you are taking classes at any school, you may want to check on this. I could have bought it from the school's bookstore for $89 without having to register for a class.

It was pretty good for the basics, and I did enjoy the simulations. I already had the Sec+, and I studied further after Security Pro before I took the SSCP. Videos were pretty good and easy to follow. The quizzes and exams were just so-so.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Mike
    I used testout to pass the A+ and net+
    They have good labs.
    When I bought the courses you could get a student discount. This info ins't public, so you will have to give them a call.

I checked the linked for the Security pro course
    I noticed this:
    * As of April 15, 2015, the SSCP Certification exam prep portion of the TestOut Security Pro course is not up-to-date.

Check out these websites:
    https://www.cybrary.it/cyber-security/ This site is free

IT pro TV ----They have virtual labs

Plural sight has it courses

https://www.cybrary.it/cyber-security/

The best online security courses. Free.

SANS Cyber Aces Online is an online course that teaches the core concepts needed to assess, and protect information security systems. The course was developed by SANS, the most trusted and the largest source for information security training and security certification in the world. The course is an engaging, self-paced, easy to use combination of tutorials, videos, and quizzes. It’s available as open courseware so you can take it anytime. SANS is donating the course from their library of professional development curriculum. And it’s free.

and this ..............

https://www.hackthissite.org/

Good luck

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    @NetworkingStudent

I did notice the SSCP said it was out of date, but I wouldn't be taking that cert for awhile anyhow so I was fine with that. I was unaware of that SANS course those, I'll have to check that out, thanks!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's been 5 or more years since I last used TestOut but I really liked it and I learned a lot using it.

They were my primary training tool from 2008-2011. With them I got my Security+ and MCSE 2003 both in 2008, my CISSP and 70-298 for MCSE:Security 2003 in 2010 and my MCITP SA & MCITP EA in January 2011.

I stopped using them because they started to become less targeted, the targets they did have were for more "basic" certificates and my knowledge base was more advanced but I loved the way they had the program laid out.

Obviously, it's been some time since I used them so I dont know that my view is still relevant; they could have changed the layout and they have clearly changed the offered certification pathways and with that the value/relevance of the information may have changed but I wish they did more advanced training as I'd probably consider them for my CCIE if they offered it.

Unlike INE or CBT nuggets, et al, I liked the way testout broke up the content into sections and the way the videos and content were integrated into a program so that you could see progress. I also liked that they would provide a summary slide to each section and then quiz you on the knowledge you should have gained.

With INE/CBT/et al, I know Im making progress but it doesnt give the same visual feedback like testout did and only some of the programs are broken up into easily digestible sections (I know they all break things seem to break things into multiple videos but the videos are longer and dont seem to be grouped) and none I've used have given me a "this is what you should have learned" slide or tested me on the knowledge from that chapter.

That's what made testout so great in my opinion. It's hard to use INE/CBT/etc and then take a practice test and find the relevant sections or portion of the videos to review.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP