Options

Changing from storage to networking

DelphieDelphie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I need some advice. I've been with my company for 2 years and work for an EMC partner. I'm on the post sales implementation side so I do the installs of VNX, Isilon, Avamar, VMware, Data Domain which I have all these certs plus the VCP-NV (network virtualization, NSX, SDN) cert as well. We also handle supporting these systems, as well as our internal IT. I graduated from college 2.5 years ago with a CIS degree and did an internship at a big oil and gas company on their server and storage team. I've always been interested in networking ever since I started with computers, but the way things worked out I got into storage because that's what came to me (recruiter) and I was fresh out of college so I was going to take anything I could get.

I had bought a home lab about 1.5 years ago to get into networking, but have been so busy learning/working I haven't had the chance to really dive in. Recently, I've realized how boring storage and backups are and I really want to do something I'm passionate/fascinated about and I figured I better do it now than later. I'm working on my CCNA as we speak and spending 3 hours a night after work and 8 hours on the weekends so hopefully I'll finish that pretty quickly and move on to the CCNP and then CCIE. During our installs we will dabble on the networking side but nothing too complex.

So, do you think I could find a job with a CCNP, but not a lot of real world networking experience on the customer side? I would like to not take a pay cut if possible, but I think my experience in the enterprise environment will help land that CCNP level job. Someone's got to give me a chance. I would expect to start looking in the next 6m to a year. Anyways thanks for reading, just wanted a little guidance on my next steps as I make this transition to the wonderful world of networking.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Take a look at the CCNP Data Center track.

I am going to the exact opposite path hahaha
  • Options
    DelphieDelphie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I saw that, and I may do that in the future but I really would like to specialize in R&S. Just way more interesting to me than SAN.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Do the R&S.

Even if you do it up to the CCNP and switch to DC. I always feel R&S gives you the core fundamentals you need for networking rather than starting with the specializations since in the end it always leads back to there.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the same transition as you about a year ago. Worked for one of top 3 enterprise storage companies doing tech support. Also, got bored and eventually moved over to networking. I was able to get a job in a NOC with a Net+ and Linux+ (They wanted people with linux skills). My only networking experience was from an ISP I worked at for a little bit, which isn't much (Hello. Yes this is tech support. Did you reset the router? lol).
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)