Options

Curious as to what the MCSE and CCNA certs will get me

rainman03rainman03 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I'm currently attending New Horizons Computer Learning Center, and by August I will be able to starting looking into taking my CCNA test and getting that certification. My real question is this: What can I expect to find once I am certified with my MCSE and my CCNA as far as payscale and job opportunities? I have about 2 years of field service work on home and business PCs and by then about 6 months as an intern for a medium-sized computer repair store. My basis and strength is going to be security. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Joe

Comments

• Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Helpdesk or geeksquad. Both pay about $12-$16 / hour.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    int80h wrote:
    Helpdesk or geeksquad. Both pay about $12-$16 / hour.

Int80h, why don't you cite some references when you say something like that?

I don't have either and I make more than that. It really depends on your location for what's in demand and your experience in the field. With no experience you most likely would be looking at the jobs mentioned above. You could always do some job searches on Dice.com or Monster.com with the keywords MCSE and/or CCNA for your area (or state) to get an idea.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rainman03 wrote:
    My basis and strength is going to be security.
    Let's see -- the certs and $1.25 should get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds. With the certs and $3 bucks you can go to Starbucks. icon_lol.gif

Now, your certifications and your field service work experience and repair shop.... depends on what you really did, or how you sell it. Did you ever work on servers? Did you install, configure, troubleshoot....? Or did you just swap power supplies and video cards?

You mentioned Security -- what have you done? More than load zonealarm on customer pcs? Have you worked with or installed routers (other than a home linksys or netgear)? Have you secured a network, other than a home wireless connection?

I would say you have done your time at the geeksquad level (but without the nifty bug) -- with the certs, shoot higher.

Are you working in the Security+ as an MCSE elective? I think that's an option - right?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I have worked on a few servers, nothing too major. Also, I have studied and deployed a bunch of wireless networks with the idea of it being secure. And yes, I have done the $1.25 McDonalds thing quite often!

My MCSE will have the Security+ elective. After the CCNA, I have plans to persue the cisco security tier 2 certification (CCSE, i think). But that will be 2-3 years down the road.

I'd like to think these are worth more than the paper they are printed on, but I'm honestly not sure. Security is fun, knowing you have the power to make or break a hacker is wonderful!

Thanks all,

Joe
  • Options
    EricOEricO Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    (CCSE, i think)

That would be CCSP.
  • Options
    thats the one...sorry
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rainman03 wrote:
    Security is fun, knowing you have the power to make or break a hacker is wonderful!
    That only happens if you are not connected to the Internet and didn't have any end users. Lots of employees let their kids use their laptops at home....

And Irate Sally who works in accounting and erases all the commissions and receivables data because Brown-nose Bob got the promotion is your greater threat.

I think CCSE could be a Checkpoint firewall/security cert....

What kind of servers have you worked on -- you don't want to minimize your experience (especially if it is minimal in that area). It's not a few server, its Microsoft 2000 and 2003 servers, Novell, and Linux.... don't volunteer quantities if it was only one of each.

Work on it.... and you'll be ready to step up to the $3 dollar coffees.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike, you are such a cynic. Your attitude does not represent the truth. I know 3 or 4 CCIE's who have masters Degree's who do not have views like yours, so please do not tell me I am just not experienced enough to make that judgement call.

I just think you should be more supportve to people instead of trying to use sarcasm to discourage them.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Mike's coffee comment makes me want to get to the level where starbucks is affordable. it's a neat way to look at a growing career. plus his idea about an internal disgruntled employee is a reality everyone in a business setting should know about. thanks for all the help, mike!