Study Methods?

FermionFermion Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Forum. This is my first post.

I'm currently studying for the 410 exam. Using the Microsoft Skills Measured page, I see that there are 19 bullet points on which to focus. I figured that would work out nicely to approximately 3 days per bullet, and I could be done in about 2 months.

Well, it's not quite working out as I planned. I study about 3 hours per day, and I'm finding that it's taking a lot longer than I expected. For example, let's take a look at this particular bullet point:

• Configure file and share access
    • Create and configure shares, configure share permissions, configure offline files, configure NTFS permissions, configure access-based enumeration (ABE), configure Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), configure NTFS quotas, create and configure Work Folders

Although, 3 days at 3 hours/day would initially seem more than enough, I'm finding that once I delve into a topic, there is just SO MUCH to learn. Between watching videos, reading material, labwork, I never feel like I'm truly done.

I guess my concern is that I've never taken a Microsoft exam, so I don't know what to expect. Should I spend hours upon hours researching the intricacies of VSS, or should I just get a general understanding of the topic and move on? if so, how do I know when I have a good enough grasp of the subject to move on?

I know this is a pretty subjective question, but I'd still like to hear the experiences of others.

Thanks for reading my first post. It definitely won't be my last.

Comments

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't stress yourself out. When i first started i thought wow that's a lot of information to remember. Get yourself a good book and follow it. Most of the time it will cover most of the information you need. For me it's remember all this information and recalling it. I have failed it twice because of stupid things and always in a hurry. Never going back to review the questions because of get tired and UGH towards the end.

This time around i'm going to take my time and review the questions once again. I am really wishing that I pass this exam. I really need it .
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    you should get a practice test to see how good u know the subject.. and lab it! I done that where im on a subject and next thing u know i have like 10 tabs open on that subject
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as VSS, I don't remember there being a lot about it on the test. Then again, the tests aren't just cookie cutter tests either. I have heard of some people with practically zero powershell on a test whereas both of mine have been Powershell heavy.

Study the material and lab it. The first exam focuses on Installing and Configuring 2012 so focus on the topics that apply to that. Read technets, lab the material, and do get a practice exam. That is the number one best way to ensure that you are on track.

Good luck.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT