Options

WGU BS IT - Security 11/15

fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok! I wanted to get some things sorted out before I posted my updated evaluation but I this is what I got credit for.
Bringing 77 credits in - 47 left. Kicking myself for failing ICND1 by 3 points last month...oh well. icon_lol.gif

Again, thanks to everyone for their opinion, advice and encouragement!

Transfer Evaluation
Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis
TRANSFERABLE COURSES GENERAL EDUCATION
COURSE TITLE COMPETENCY UNITS REQUIREMENT FOR TRANSFER SATISFIED BY STATUS
English Composition I 3 Met
English Composition II 3 Met
Elements of Effective Communication 3 Met
Intermediate Algebra 3 Met
College Algebra 4 Met
Introduction to Humanities 3 Met
Introduction to Probability and Statistics 3 Met
Integrated Natural Science 4 Met
Introduction to Physics 4 Met
Introduction to Geography 3 Met
Critical Thinking and Logic 3 Met

TRANSFERABLE COURSES CORE TO THE MAJOR
IT Foundations 4 CompTIA A+ COMPTIA A+ CE - CompTIA Certifications Met
IT Applications 4 CompTIA A+ COMPTIA A+ CE - CompTIA Certifications Met
Network and Security - Foundations 3 COMPTIA NETWORK+ CE - CompTIA Certifications Met
Data Management - Foundations 3 SQL FUNDAMENTALS Met
Scripting and Programming - Foundations 3 VISUAL BASIC PROGRAMMING Met
Business of IT - Project Management 4 COMPTIA PROJECT+ - CompTIA Certifications Met
Networks 4 COMPTIA NETWORK+ CE (NA) - CompTIA Certifications Met
Network and Security - Applications 4 COMPTIA SECURITY+ CE - CompTIA Certifications Met
Scripting and Programming - Applications 4 C/C++ PROGRAMMING Met
Operating Systems I 4 COMPTIA LINUX+ - CompTIA Certifications Met
Operating Systems II 4 COMPTIA LINUX+ - CompTIA Certifications Met

REMAINING CORE MAJOR CLASSES:
Introduction to IT 4 Not Met
Web Development Fundamentals 3 Not Met
Business of IT - Applications 4 Not Met
Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices 6 Not Met
Interconnecting Network Devices 6 Not Met
Designing Customized Security 6 Not Met
Organizational Behavior and Leadership 3 Not Met
Data Management - Applications 4 Not Met
Principles of Management 4
Technical Writing 3
IT Capstone Written Project 4

Total Competency Units in Program 124
General Education Competency Units Awarded 36
Other Transferable Competency Units Awarded 41
Credits Remaining in your Program 47
Percent of program already completed! 62.1%
timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Wow, only 30 CUs? That is impressive. I needed 46 upon entry and I thought that was good!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on your journey!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Thanks! They got my AP scores in today so I'm on my way. I have taken C/C++, Visual Basic.Net, SQL Fundamentals and Programming the Mobile Web at a community college so I gotta see if they will count as equivalent scripting/programming/database classes. Plus my certs and upper division Advanced GE from SJSU helped.

I have no SQL background so the database class has taken me nearly a month and a week to finish. Finishing up the project as we speak...
    Programming is next and I am NOT looking forward to learning Java. Once I get these two classes done, its easier classes followed by Linux and Capstone.
  • Options
    ThatdudeThatdude Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started WGU in August brought in 59 credits. I'm on task to graduate by December the 18th if I pass my MCSA Server exams by then.
  • Options
    Formally got admitted today! 11/15 start date/month -> 4/16 icon_cheers.gificon_cool.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Formally got admitted today! 11/15 start date/month -> 4/16 icon_cheers.gificon_cool.gif

Awesome!! You transferred in quite a bit

I think when I started I had 70 CU's transferred from certs and school. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks D! bpenn transferred in a lil more but maybe I'll catch up - pending appeals. icon_rolleyes.gif We all transferred in a TON so be proud of that! We'll all look back and be like - 'Wow! I actually did all that work in that amount of time?'.

Thatdude: Good luck and great job!
  • Options
    Finally got cleared to start today - I actually got credit for Programming and Scripting - Foundations as well. icon_study.gificon_arrow.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    You will probably finish before I do as it took me almost a month and a half to complete my first class (SQL) and probably the same or longer for the second (Java). I hate programming... but its all down hill after that!
  • Options
    I'm trying to finish in 1 period or 4/16. I'm just finished Orientation today so I'm awaiting my Mentor to call and setup all the particulars/details. Pretty exited to say the least...

bpenn: I'm lucky I have a programming background - it's pretty tough to pick up. BTW, usman transferred in 94 credits! All Cisco stuff! Crazy!
  • Options
    Began yesterday but I already finished Intro to IT/passed the PA.

Now I'm doing Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices and Interconnecting Network Devices which is mostly review for me. I plan on taking CCENT/CCNA ASAP!

Then:
    Designing Customized Security
    Web Development Fundamentals
    Data Management - Applications
    Business of IT - Applications
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    Principles of Management
    Technical Writing
    IT Capstone Written Project
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed Programming and Scripting last Friday. It was nothing compared to the actual course material. :D And welcome aboard with WGU.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    Congrats on passing that class! I think a lot of people dread programming! Thanks for the welcome. Go Night Owls!
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing that class! I think a lot of people dread programming! Thanks for the welcome. Go Night Owls!
    A coworker and fellow Night Owl sent this my way a while ago.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    Ruminus wrote: »
    I just passed Programming and Scripting last Friday. It was nothing compared to the actual course material. :D And welcome aboard with WGU.

Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    Ruminus wrote: »
    A coworker and fellow Night Owl sent this my way a while ago.

OMG! I love The Warriors - Warriors come out and play! I have the Rockstar game on PS2. icon_cool.gif

Baseball Furies all the way tho! :D
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any notes or study material you can offer?
  • Options
    I provided this to Yellowpad already but this can help you if you are just starting Scripting and Programming and Database: Applications

"So, I completed C170 (Databases) a couple of weeks ago. Here is my review:

I have ZERO background in SQL (or programming, for that matter) so I knew this class would challenge me. There is an objective and performance assessment - the performance assessment requiring you to take unnormalized data, convert it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd normal form and then create tables with that data. It took me 2 weeks to complete the project (I spent around 25-30 hours on it) and I hated it. You may grasp the material better than I did but I just cannot stand SQL. The objective assessment relies HEAVILY on the UCertify material. I suggest reading each chapter and going through some of the flash cards. ENSURE you are familiar with database normalization and entity relationships. I suggest taking the preassessment a few times to gauge your knowledge and begin working on the project before you take the objective assessment as it will really help you remember correct syntax.

Also, search for MySQL syntax on Google and REALLY try to practice and memorize some of the syntax as it will help significantly on the exam!

It took me around 1.5 months to complete the class, though I only put in 15-20 hours a week, tops. I have a wife and 2 year old daughter so time is precious to me. My advice, watch the CLASS COHORT VIDEO as I could not have completed the project without it. Also, utilize your course mentor if you need help. I booked my mentor 3 times and each time I did I was able to get through whatever hump I was stuck at. I cannot emphasize that enough.

As for C169, I am in it right now and struggling just as much as I thought I would. Programming isnt my cup of tea but my degree path is all downhill after I complete this class. My suggestion for C169 (Java) is to download the Eclipse IDE instead of BlueJ and watch the Lynda videos instead of the Udemy (personal preference as the Udemy goes over my head, assuming my math skills are college level).

If you have any more questions I would love to answer them if I can"

So, in summary, make sure you READ the UCertify material on SQL as the exam likes to pull from that. Focus specifically on entity relationships and database normalization. I recommend you email your course mentor and ask for the link to the normalization case study (will REALLY help you during the project). Also, the cohort videos by Maria are fantastic and are the only reason I finished that project. Another tip on the project: READ the directions step-by-step, ensuring you dont miss anything. The rubric grades very specifically and you need to follow it to the tee.

The class took me about a month and a half to finish (I have a 2 year old and a high maintenance wife) so expect that if you can only put in 10 hours a week like me. TAKE the preassessment as that really helped me prepare for the exam. Also, starting the first half of the project helped me pass the exam. Understand the syntax of SQL and what correct strings look like. If you get stuck contact your course mentor. I cannot stress that enough. My course mentor helped me through some tough areas I couldnt have gotten through without her. Oh, and use w3schools.com to help instill syntax and anytime you cannot remember what something does in a line.

I cant really offer much advice in Java since I am currently taking it now. When you start Java, disregard the crappy BlueJ IDE and download the Eclipse IDE. It will make life much easier. I watched Lynda videos to learn how to use Eclipse and make the most out of it. I hated the Udemy videos (they assumed I knew a little Java already) and watched the Lynda videos and read the Wily Java textbooks included. I am about half-way done with studying for the exam but plan on taking the preassessment in a few days to see where I am at.

I was in the same boat as you (and still am). I have no programming background and despise it with my whole being. I made a 73 on the SQL assessment and celebrated, let me tell you. Once I finish Java its all easier classes (exception: Linux and CCNA:Sec) and I am done. But hey, if I can get through than you can, too. Stay strong, take your time, and utilize those course mentors when you dont understand something. When I finish Java, I will update my tips for completing the class.

Good luck!
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @bpenn...thanks for the info...PM me and I'll get your email and I can send you notes for Linux+ and CCNA:Security...I'll be taking the second test for Linux on Monday and I've already cleared CCNA:Security last month, the old test. Once I finish Linux, I'll be doing Org and Behavior, Principles of Mgmt, Business of IT-Applications, and Elements of Effective Communication...hopefully I can get all of these knocked out before the end of Feb when my term ends so that I can jump straight into the DB and Programming classes.
  • Options
    Update: Been really busy with work, an IT Masters short course and finishing other certs that I bought last year (and I got sick too!) but I'm - slowly but surely - getting all I wanted to accomplish done on time.

Passed Intro to IT a couple of weeks ago and I've been taking Boson practice exams the last few days for ICND1 which I barely failed a couple months ago. I'm scoring 90%+ and have requested a voucher for Pearson Vue. I plan on taking ICND1 next week and ICND2 the week after that. I have LFCE, VCP5-DCV and all eLearnSecurity lined up still (and I'm going to take CASP if I can get a deal). It's going to be a busy but rewarding last few weeks of 2015 and I'll make sure I keep on going strong into 2016 and beyond... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Finally passed CCENT/ICND1/C246 today...

Passed CCNA/ICND2/C247 yesterday (1/28/16)!

I completed 16/16 units...

On to CCNA-Security...