Options

CCNA Security book 210-260 book is a dud.

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so I scrolled through it and it has mainly text, at least the first 2 chapters. Has little challenges and mini quizzes too. Its $350 so not sure if I will shell out cash for it, only if it is worth it. Hopefully more people will respond to this.

In the intro it tells you its for the 640 (older version) CCNA Security
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    bigbenhotnessbigbenhotness Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    In the intro it tells you its for the 640 (older version) CCNA Security

then why say version 3?
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow... so I started this book yesterday and I'm only 3 chapters in and I can already tell I don't like it icon_neutral.gif. I feel like it was written in an order different than how it is presented. He keeps referring back to things in the book that don't exist or referring to new concepts without first introducing them..
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am reading the Security atm.I think cisco is making every track, even the ccna level, more harder and more oriented to the real world. ;)Just my Cents
  • Options
    openallnightopenallnight Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the book also and put it down after a few chapters, just doesn't seem to teach me anything in the sense that its not instructional for me. So, I purchased the e learning for $350 (received 10% discount). I'm a few chapters into it. I'd say I like it better than the book, has some labs etc...I would hope it's enough to pass the exam (should be if Cisco is offering it), has a lot of information to remember. I think it's somewhat expensive for what it offers in return, but if it helps me learn more and pass the exam, its worth it to me. I was looking to find video instruction\lab for the 210-260 (CBT Nuggets, etc) but couldn't find any anywhere so I figured to just get started and not wait around I may as well get going and bought the e-learning.
  • Options
    islandboy80islandboy80 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am thinking about purchasing the e-learning also. I am also disappointed in the OCG. Very disjointed. It looks like he pulled chapters from other books he may have written and just kinda stuck them in loose order. Now that you have had a few more days with the e-learning, how do you feel about it?
  • Options
    I am thinking about purchasing the e-learning also. I am also disappointed in the OCG. Very disjointed. It looks like he pulled chapters from other books he may have written and just kinda stuck them in loose order. Now that you have had a few more days with the e-learning, how do you feel about it?

That's the exact impression I got. Almost like he wrote the book in one order and then reorganized it at the end without changing any of the text. So lots of references back to things that he hasn't actually talked about yet.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    openallnightopenallnight Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm around chapter 5, its good. I'm actually using all different types of resources for learning and using the e-learning here and there. Compared to the book its better. I just wish cbt nuggets had their ccna security updated with the new one. The e-learning has labs and good content, but I do think at least for me its a little over priced.
  • Options
    xyzledzxyzledz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone, I've read this thread and found out that the OCG i've been studying + the CBT Nugget 640-554 by Keith isn't enough to pass 210-260 exam. Sadly I can't spend $350 for the E-Learning course available at cisco. Can anyone suggest what are other free study materials to help me pass the exam? I've been studying and doing practice configurations of router and ASA.

Also there's a mention about ASA 9.x. What's the difference between configuring 9.x and 8.4 (which i'm using in GNS3) with regards to the exam? Does it change how we configure ASA much?

Appreciate your response guys!
  • Options
    islandboy80islandboy80 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xyzledz wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I've read this thread and found out that the OCG i've been studying + the CBT Nugget 640-554 by Keith isn't enough to pass 210-260 exam. Sadly I can't spend $350 for the E-Learning course available at cisco. Can anyone suggest what are other free study materials to help me pass the exam? I've been studying and doing practice configurations of router and ASA.

Also there's a mention about ASA 9.x. What's the difference between configuring 9.x and 8.4 (which i'm using in GNS3) with regards to the exam? Does it change how we configure ASA much?

Appreciate your response guys!

Hey, I understand money being a factor. I finally twisted my bosses arm hard enough and got him to buy the E-learning. Otherwise I would be in the same boat as you. With that being said, even though the OCG is not the best for prepping for the 210-260, it is better than nothing. You just have to follow the advice of other people on this forum; dig through it, research topics, and make the best of it. Also, last week, Cisco released the CCNA Security Networking Academy Lab Manual Version 2 (which by the way, tracks with the 210-260 IINS v3). I purchased it immediately from Amazon and have been going through it along with the labs in the E-learning. It's pretty good and only $50.

All things considered, with limited funds, the OCG along with the new Lab book, is not a terrible way to go if that is all you can afford. Additionally, CBT Nuggets has posted the new videos for 210-260. So a one-month membership after you have gone through the aforementioned books would only cost you an extra $99.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/cisco-ccna-security-210-260

Good luck.

I am testing January 4th. I will post successes and failures after that date.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the info islandboy! Probably gonna schedule my test soon. Will definitely have to check out those videos.
  • Options
    Lion66sixLion66six Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, last week, Cisco released the CCNA Security Networking Academy Lab Manual Version 2 (which by the way, tracks with the 210-260 IINS v3). I purchased it immediately from Amazon and have been going through it along with the labs in the E-learning. It's pretty good and only $50.

Sounds great to me. Very keen to hear more over the next few weeks on how well you have gotten on with this product. I'm considering purchasing it myself.
  • Options
    xyzledzxyzledz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I understand money being a factor. I finally twisted my bosses arm hard enough and got him to buy the E-learning. Otherwise I would be in the same boat as you. With that being said, even though the OCG is not the best for prepping for the 210-260, it is better than nothing. You just have to follow the advice of other people on this forum; dig through it, research topics, and make the best of it. Also, last week, Cisco released the CCNA Security Networking Academy Lab Manual Version 2 (which by the way, tracks with the 210-260 IINS v3). I purchased it immediately from Amazon and have been going through it along with the labs in the E-learning. It's pretty good and only $50.

All things considered, with limited funds, the OCG along with the new Lab book, is not a terrible way to go if that is all you can afford. Additionally, CBT Nuggets has posted the new videos for 210-260. So a one-month membership after you have gone through the aforementioned books would only cost you an extra $99.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/cisco-ccna-security-210-260

Good luck.

I am testing January 4th. I will post successes and failures after that date.

Thanks for all your input. I'm sure that will be a great basis for everyone whos gonna take the exam in the future. In my case, I took the exam and passed. Along with OCG, CBT Nuggets, GNS3 lab practice using ASA with ASDM, router setup that follows all the topics. I also downloaded the manuals from the IINSv3 Cisco Learning which can be viewed using the trial version. Followed all of their lab topics using the manuals I downloaded and reading important notes, plus the tips from those who took the exam and surely all of those became helpful.
  • Options
    Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Access to Cisco's new VIRL Lab running ASA's with 9.0 code and Next Generation Firewalls and IDS/IPS's. Using Kali aka "Backtrac5" to hack into devices and protect your network. A lot of hands on vs. 640-554 was all theory. It was a little more then I was expecting.

Just wanted to point out, Kali and Backtrack5 are very different. Kali 2.0 is even more different. You can't really compare them.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to point out, Kali and Backtrack5 are very different. Kali 2.0 is even more different. You can't really compare them.

Kali is basically Backtrack 6. Same guys who made Backtrack made Kali. Just a redistribution of tool sets. If you want to say it's more like comparing Windows 10 to XP then that's fair.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xyzledz wrote: »
    Thanks for all your input. I'm sure that will be a great basis for everyone whos gonna take the exam in the future. In my case, I took the exam and passed. Along with OCG, CBT Nuggets, GNS3 lab practice using ASA with ASDM, router setup that follows all the topics. I also downloaded the manuals from the IINSv3 Cisco Learning which can be viewed using the trial version. Followed all of their lab topics using the manuals I downloaded and reading important notes, plus the tips from those who took the exam and surely all of those became helpful.

Ah, good suggestion on the IINSv3 manuals. Guess I'll have to sign up for a trial version :)

Also, I'm going through the OCG and am really glad I read through the comments here ahead of time. There are a ton of topics that they make brief mention of but never discuss implementation. I'm keeping track of these to do my own research on them which I hope will prove useful for the test.
  • Options
    I think the most confusing and frustrating thing about this book is that it keeps bringing up the CCP. I've read numerous times from other sites that the CCP isn't tested on the 210-260.

Can anyone confirm whether the CCP is even offered as a tool when taking the test? Is there any reason at all to learn the CCP?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AMD4EVER wrote: »
    I think the most confusing and frustrating thing about this book is that it keeps bringing up the CCP. I've read numerous times from other sites that the CCP isn't tested on the 210-260.

Can anyone confirm whether the CCP is even offered as a tool when taking the test? Is there any reason at all to learn the CCP?

I don't have direct experience with it, but I have been told by others the CCP is not focused on in the new exam. I don't even see the CCP mentioned in the blueprint for 210-260:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/iins-v3/exam-topics
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I don't have direct experience with it, but I have been told by others the CCP is not focused on in the new exam. I don't even see the CCP mentioned in the blueprint for 210-260:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/iins-v3/exam-topics

Yeah, it isn't mentioned in the blueprint so it isn't a focus but it could possibly be provided as a tool on the test. I have been ignoring the sections on the CCP in the OCG up to this point and just wondered if there is someone who has taken the test who can say if it is an available tool or not
  • Options
    davidgrzdavidgrz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,
    So, I also failed a few weeks ago my CCNA 210-260. I just have to confirm that everything that is said about the book and the exam looks true...
    Yes, the book is a dud, my experience was a really bad one, very frustrating, since I had almost half the questions in the exam that are not discussed in the book. The book is almost as useful as reading the newspaper to pass the exam.
    I have submitted tickets to Ciscopress and also at the Cisco certifications & community online support, both don't want to know, they just answer that it is said that you need real experience on the gear. I also asked for a voucher, no way. Each one tells me to ask to the other.
    Ok, so, to pass, you have to purchase a Cisco ISE, an ASA with licenses for Anyconnect, a TACACS, and many other gear ...but you will not be sure to pass anyway.
    My feeling when I took the exam was that it is designed for people to fail and get more money on that exam and extra resources.
    They won't change my mind, since almost half the questions are not covered. And almost 90% of what I learned from the book was not really useful to take that exam...
    I am really angry, and I'm not sure I am going to continue to spend so much money to take exams...
  • Options
    davidgrz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I also asked for a voucher, no way. Each one tells me to ask to the other.

Tell them it's not acceptable you want your issue escalated. Their first response is to always say no and then if you ask to escalate someone will actually look at your complaint and decide whether to actually issue one or not.
  • Options
    jonarmanijonarmani Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took the 210-260 for the first time and failed. My resources were the OCG + CBT Nuggets + practice exam I found online. Each material source included some things unique from the others, and worse yet the actual exam included stuff unique from anything I studied. Very frustrated and spending lots of money. Anyone know a more comprehensive study guide?
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Gotta say this thread has got me a little bummed. This was going to be my last CCNA Cert before moving on to the CCNP but now I'm not feeling so confident. I have the OCG and Bryant Udemy videos but I've barely begun my studies. Here's to hoping I guess.
  • Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jonarmanijonarmani Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jamm1n wrote: »
    I ordered this guy... hopefully it is worth it

https://www.amazon.com/Days-Before-Your-CCNA-Security/dp/1587205785

I actually have access to that now with Safari Books -- I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!
  • Options
    DannyvanDannyvan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is extremely concerning. What do the Cisco people think of the idea that book is inferior? Anyone?
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thought I might test the waters. Took the exam today and failed with a 809. Used the OCG. Going to keep working on it and retake the exam in a week or two. Didn't expect this much difference between the book and exam. For those using the OCG, watch out!

I'm using the Cisco Security Solutions books all in one for my prep along with more labbing and Boson exam practice.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Next-Generation-Security-Solutions-All-/dp/1587144468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472499558&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+security+solutions
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I went ahead and ordered the 31 days before book as well. I have to pass by the end of the month or else I lose my CCNA. Safe to say I am in serious crunch mode. I have the OCG which I have used to supplement the INE training. Will be getting Boson practice exam this weekend as well.

I'll definitely give a pre and post exam review of the book here. Definitely nervous for this one. Best of luck to all in here.
  • Options
    SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Hello, gents.

It seems a deja vu. I am nearly done with the CCNP RS and I wanted to re-start the CCNA Sec which I had to stop when Cisco suddenly decided to retire the 640-554.

Unfortunately, I read the comments on the OCG's page from Amazon and it's dishearting. Everybody agrees with the fact that the book is a shame and does not cover the exam blueprint.

Apart this book, that was already mentioned by somebody here in this post, I was wondering what else to read for the exam.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Next-Generation-Security-Solutions-All/dp/1587144468/ref=pd_sim_14_20?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RT0CSQ7NKMAQ89E5C9RR

Kind Regards.
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard good things about 31 Days Before Your CCNA Security Exam (Amazon Link) I have not yet picked up this book but many students at WGU report this book as a good supplement.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]