Options

Passed CCENT on Sep 18th

jaandrade3rdjaandrade3rd Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Study tools:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide,
1st Edition by Wendell Odom release May 2103. This is a pretty good book.

Cisco CCNA 640-801 Course by Greg Dickinson. This course was good in covering many of the concepts behind Odom's book and provided a visual learning experience. VTC.com

QuickStart! - Cisco ICND 1 and 2 Update (exams 100-101 and 200-101) Course by Greg Dickinson. This course was good in covering many of the concepts behind Odom's book and provided a visual learning experience. VTC.com

Pearson Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Network Simulator. This lab simulator is very limited but helpful in the various type of simulations that are presented.

GNS3 v1.3.10 This Lab Simulator is very good. Helped with preparing for the sim-lets and applying the knowledge to the CLI. Although, this software doesn't support many of the integrate routers like the 2800 series or has any switches. Lab work for switches can be done using switch modules in some of the more beefy routers--command are almost the same.

Cisco Packet Tracer v6.2 Helped with preparing for the sim-lets and applying the knowledge to the CLI. Although, the software lacks some of the commands you would expect in the IOS even older versions like 12 for example service sequence-numbers.

the-complete-ccna-200-120-course on the GNS3 Academy. The instructor is pretty good in getting his audience in the right mindset but leaves much to desire in presentation.

I put off studying for the ICND2 to prepare for the CISSP (Edit: Passed the CISSP too)

Comments

• Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! With all of the material and resources, did you feel you over prepared? I'm wanting to tackle this early next year to shore up my networking knowledge.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    m00ndoggm00ndogg Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey congrats!

I just passed the ICND1 yesterday myself!
    Now I'm trying to decide what's next... I'm curious why you decided to go for CISSP before ICND2?
    I feel like I should do ICND2 immediately while the material is still fresh in my mind and then shift my focus... Anyone have thoughts on that?
    ...Or should I consider another CCNA path (such as Cloud, Security or Wireless) that may be more likely to make me marketable?

That leads me to another question for all of you....
    It seems that many/some of the other CCNA certifications are being eliminated:
    640-554 IINS
    Last day to test:
    November 30, 2015

640-722 IUWNE
    Last day to test: December 14, 2015

640-461 ICOMM
    Last day to test:
    September 17, 2015

200-001 VIVND
    Last day to test:
    September 17, 2015

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]What is the recommended path these days?[/FONT]
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

"...it's not my boat, it's my boss' boat..." (Capt. Ron)
  • Options
    jaandrade3rdjaandrade3rd Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19

I didn't feel like I was over prepared--just better prepared. There were question on the exam that are/were not in or clearly described in the material. Having other sources presenting different perspective on the same topics helped making it stick. Also, I had to juggle between the 3 different simulators to get exposure to all of the different commands that the exam tests on. The exam actually disables certain commands like show running-config on some simlets.

mOOndogg

I was hoping to pass the ICND2 (failed 788 passing 825) before the CISSP but unfortunately I did not. Exam scheduling forced me to concentrate on CISSP. I too have been considering whether to just get CCNA Security since it is more relevant to my career path versus CCNA Routing & Switching. At this point I will probably just do both ICND2 and 210-160. Alternatively, I could still do the CCNA R&S composite but times are tough and I can't afford to fail again--the last time I failed it with 807 (passing 825). THe last time I took the ICND2--it felt like it was harder than the CCNA composite.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats to you both, I'm currently working on CCNA DC, there is quite a bit of overlap with CCNA R+S especially on the first exam
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    khalidsaid101khalidsaid101 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I got my security+ and have a basic understanding of network+ material and was preparing for it and got a job and got busy. It's been about 4 months and now I want to get my CCNA, later go into the security field.

I was looking on clarification on the CCNA R&S 200-120 exam which I am planning to prepare and take soon.

I want to make sure I understand correctly, there are 2 ways to take the exam:

1- Take the CCNA R&S - which is one exam (comprehensive, including labs and all content) = CCNA CERTIFIED

2- ICND1 & ICND 2 ....2 exams (material of CCNA broken up within both exams) ....if I do this does it mean= CCNA CERTIFIED?

Also if I take CCENT does that substitute for ICND1?

If I do CCENT then ICND2 = CCNA CERTIFIED?
  • Options
    tolmietolmie Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im getting completely confused with the cisco certs, I was planning to do the CCENT, is the ICND1 exam the same thing or is that a diff exam, I managed to download a cisco study book which says on cover CCENT & CCNA and then refers to exam ICND1, so are they the same thing.
  • Options
    YanioYanio Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tolmie wrote: »
    Im getting completely confused with the cisco certs, I was planning to do the CCENT, is the ICND1 exam the same thing or is that a diff exam, I managed to download a cisco study book which says on cover CCENT & CCNA and then refers to exam ICND1, so are they the same thing.

CCENT and CCNA can be thought of as two different certs. You can achieve CCENT by passing ICND1 (100-101 exam), then get your CCNA by subsequently passing ICND2 (200-101 exam). Alternatively you can take a composite exam that combines both, I think it's called CCNAX (200-120).

HTH!
    "That's what" -She
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□