Options

Passed CISSP !

Awilliam77Awilliam77 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
So after 4 long grueling hours I managed to finish the exam and walk out into the lobby to find a printout telling me congratulations. Felt pretty awesome, and thankfully I don't have to look at that material anymore.

Here's a little about myself:

My only security experience is completing the Sec+ cert, MSISA from WGU, and working 4 months as an IS Risk Engineer at an insurance company for the past 5 months. Before that I spent 3 years in networking, and 2 years in desktop support

Study Method:

I studied 45 days.

Books - Shon Harris All in one, Eric Conrad (both the full and 11th hour CISSP guide), CISSP for Dummies, CISSP Combined notes (found here).

Videos - Cybrary with Kelly K., Larry Greenblatt's CISSP Kung fu, Saari Greene CISSP on safari books

Test questions - Shon Harris books, CCCure, McGrawHill

Every piece of that played it's part. Shon Harris gives you an overwhelming amount of information. Eric Conrad gives you a lot less, but what he talks about is very relevant. CCCure test questions aren't that relevant, but the study material provided from them is VERY relevant. Cybrary videos are a must. Kelly tells you what to focus on and what not to, and that's very accurate information. I couldn't have done it without the Larry Greenblatt videos on youtube though. He gives a lot of methodology, and a lot of little tricks a long the way. It's also nice to study and listen to a comedian. He's going to tell you things like "it's an english test," which is so true, because the wording is very deceptive, and it actually became kind of fun to figure out what they were really asking for. Saari Greene videos are decent, but they are very updated. She talks about things that the other 2 don't mention. The CISSP Combines notes were great, but probably due for a little updating.

The best advice i've seen around for this test aside from Larry Greenblatt's, is to relax. You're going to be in there for a while. I thought for sure that I was going to fail walking out of there. I could only remember answering 20% (if that) of the questions confidently, so even if you don't think you did that well, there's still a chance.

THere's really no practice questions out there that will prepare you for the gauntlet you're about to run through. Just study and learn the concepts as best as you can. I'll even throw out there that most of the stuff on the CCCure's website in the section of "What's been added," I didn't see much on the test. You should still take a look at it, but I wouldn't spend too much time on it. All of the concepts are in the information I provided above.

Good luck, folks.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gz! What's next for you?
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jasonperry10jasonperry10 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! CISSP! Great cert to achieve. icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Thanks, people!

Ges, I plan on doing CRISC and CSSLP next year as both directly pertain to my current job. Just for fun in the meantime, I have bought 5 or 6 classes from Udemy that I had got on sale and will knock those out. Most pertain to hacking (wireless, network, webapp) and then another on wireshark and another on Python. For those of you who don't know about Udemy, you can get a lot of good tutorials for cheap if you wait for them to go on sale.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    rony1234rony1234 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Awilliam and thank you for the tips.
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! It sounds like you used the perfect set of study materials (not too many, not too few). Man, getting that paper is such a good feeling!

Congrats again!
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    dvditdvdit Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awilliam77, congrats on the pass. Thanks for the very detailed feedback. One question though. You said "CCCure test questions aren't that relevant, but the study material provided from them is VERY relevant". Are this two different offerings from CCCure? Do they have a separate study material they sell or it this included if you buy their practice quiz? Thanks.
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dvdit - As I read the feedback I had a similar question but I think they meant that the explanations following the questions were relevant.
  • Options
    ^^ Yes, that's what I meant. The information provided with the "show answer" function in study mode was very relevant. I say the questions are not because most of them are very simple and straight forward.
  • Options
    dvditdvdit Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks both. I plan to sit for the exam early next year. I have bought both AIO and CBK (ISC)2. I plan to read AIO cover to cover and refer to the CBK for the newest material. I will buy Eric's book when it comes out in Nov. The only thing I am not so sure about is which quiz engine to buy. CCCure, Boson or Transcender?
    [h=2][/h]
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awilliam77 wrote: »
    ^^ Yes, that's what I meant. The information provided with the "show answer" function in study mode was very relevant. I say the questions are not because most of them are very simple and straight forward.

Were you taking the CCCure test in hard mode?
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□