Options

Do I have the required experience to get the SSCP certificate?

doordoor Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Valid experience includes information systems security-related work performed, or work that requires information security knowledge and involves direct application of that knowledge. For the SSCP certification, a candidate is required to have a minimum of 1 year of cumulative paid full-time work experience in one or more of the 7 domains of the SSCP CBK.

I have worked for many years in different PC repair shops, my job was mainly to install MSWindows OSes plus the necessary software (including different AVs if that counts). I also worked in different Internet cafes where I provided support to everyday users, add to that responsibility to configure the PCs in a way to restrict users privileges, configure print server and the task of maintaining bandwidth control software and hardware.

Since I am new to the field I would love to know if my limited experience is part of the CBKs

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    door wrote: »
    I have worked for many years in different PC repair shops, my job was mainly to install MSWindows OSes plus the necessary software (including different AVs if that counts). I also worked in different Internet cafes where I provided support to ever-day users, add to that responsibility to configure the PCs in a way to restrict users privileges, configure print server and the task of maintaining bandwidth control software and hardware.

Since I am new to the field I would love to know if my limited experience is part of the CBKs

Thanks

You probably do. Do you have any security certifications?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Yes, Security+
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd imagine you do. And since you have Security+, you should already know a lot of what's required for SSCP. I say go for it if that's something that you think will benefit your career. Earning the SSCP helped get me a 12% raise at my last job, and then it made a difference when I interviewed for a new job (also a good raise) last summer. And even if ISC(2) doesn't feel you have enough experience, you can still get an Associate status.

SSCP is a good stepping stone for higher level certifications. Having it may help get your foot in the door when applying for security-related jobs.
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's your work domain? Federal or DoD or a company that works within that domain, then, yes, SSCP is good. But, I'd shoot for CISSP as even an Associate CISSP you qualify for 8570 IAT III, IAM III, and IASAE II. SSCP takes you to 8570 IAT II.

To each their own in regards to experience. The CISSP was long, but I did not find it that hard. I think those that find it hard are ones who do not have a well-rounded background, which is what the CISSP basically tests.

Also, I had asked as my experience was not consecutive. I did some dot-com stuff back in the late 90's early 00's with DB's and UI's and the "security" back then. Joined the Navy, did a lot of COMSEC and TRANSEC related work, network security to a small extent, transferred to a shore command where I did a lot of stuff that was related to the ten domains here and there. What really matters is to not sell yourself short and to appropriately articulate your experience on your resume.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your answers guys