Dell to buy EMC

tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
In case you haven't heard yet and there isn't another thread already open (Which I don't see)

Dell to Buy EMC for $67 Billion - WSJ

Let the rants / discussions begin!

Comments

• twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting.....
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Because my focus is VDI/SBC, I'm most interested to see how the relationship with VMware impacts their offering. Dell does a lot of business in the VDI space, reselling both VMware and Citrix while promoting their own vWorkspace broker as well.

With the acquisition of Wyse, and now VMware, Dell can provide industry leading end-to-end solutions for VDI/SBC initiatives. Interesting things to come, I'm sure.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't care much about EMC stuff, but what concerns me is VMware stuff. Does he buy it WITH or WITHOUT VMware division?
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    The merger comes with the 80% stake in VMware, which will be left as a public company.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder what will happen to VCE, I doubt Dell would want VCE to continue selling a product with Cisco hardware when Dell has it's own hardware and I doubt Cisco will continue to support VCE after Dell takes over EMC.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Priston wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen to VCE, I doubt Dell would want VCE to continue selling a product with Cisco hardware when Dell has it's own hardware and I doubt Cisco will continue to support VCE after Dell takes over EMC.

Cisco sold most of their VCE shares to EMC while back. Last I heard they only own 2% of VCE now.

VCE will probably keep selling Cisco HW along with the option to swap with Dell HW.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't decide if this is better than the HP/EMC rumours last year. I think it makes a lot of sense for Dell but it seems like a lot of post-merger debt. It will be interesting to see what Dell does with RSA and some of the other prior EMC acquisitions.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    paul78 wrote: »
    I can't decide if this is better than the HP/EMC rumours last year. I think it makes a lot of sense for Dell but it seems like a lot of post-merger debt. It will be interesting to see what Dell does with RSA and some of the other prior EMC acquisitions.

Not rumors, that talk was real. They apparently just couldn't reach a price point that both ends agreed with. I too am kind of shocked that Dell bought a company bigger than itself but the partnership makes sense. Dell and EMC were strong business partners until Dell started acquiring storage vendors for its own lineup.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Dell tried to buy Veeam not long ago and I found out Dell wouldn't give me pricing for Veeam cause Dell and Veeam are not on good terms. Yet Veeam is pretty much the king of the VMware space, seems interesting they went to EMC. Since EMC own most of the VMware stock this is very interesting now indeed for Veeam.

They already have a diverse portfolio like Wyse, Equalogic, Sonicwall. If Dell swallows up VMware that will be very interesting.
  • hurrdlethesquirtlehurrdlethesquirtle Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Dell tried to buy Veeam not long ago and I found out Dell wouldn't give me pricing for Veeam cause Dell and Veeam are not on good terms. Yet Veeam is pretty much the king of the VMware space, seems interesting they went to EMC. Since EMC own most of the VMware stock this is very interesting now indeed for Veeam.

They already have a diverse portfolio like Wyse, Equalogic, Sonicwall. If Dell swallows up VMware that will be very interesting.

"It Just Works"
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was just checking the arbitrage spreads on the merger. I was kinda surprised to see how wide it is. And as I started to read more about the merger, it's making sense. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    If anyone wants to hear another perspective from WIRED. This writer sure does have some enthusiasm.

Dell. EMC. HP. Cisco. These Tech Giants Are the Walking Dead | WIRED
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long would HP last now? It seems there's nothing out there for them, unless they go for Veeam or perhaps Cisco would go for Veeam? Not going for Nicira on Cisco part was a huge mistake that will haunt them for a very long time.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting considering I used to be an intern at EMC's command center. Just heard from friends still there that a bunch of my mentors have left and gone over to VMWare and RSA.

Im curious to see what happens to vmware and RSA since I've considered sending my resume to them in the future.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought Dell was trying to get into being a service provider when they bought out some companies like Perot Systems and less focus on hardware. Guess they saw an opportunity here, to provide hardware and the services for it.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tkerber wrote: »
    If anyone wants to hear another perspective from WIRED. This writer sure does have some enthusiasm.

Dell. EMC. HP. Cisco. These Tech Giants Are the Walking Dead | WIRED

Interesting story or should it be called fantasy? A lot of things need to be worked out before public clouds fully absorbs enterprise DCs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Personally I think it's a huge risk for both EMC and Dell, but one that is required. Both orgs lack any kind of serious innovation in the last 5 years and while acquisitions sometimes help deflect that perception you aren't immune to it. If Dell can transition from a hardware/PC company to being a solution provider then I think they stand a chance long term.

The biggest hurdle here is going to be melting together two very different company cultures and keeping attrition low.