Options

FAILED CISSP 15th October

Canberra1973Canberra1973 Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
Failed my CISSP exam yesterday icon_sad.gif
Read Shon Harris book multiple times and questions
Did Cccure practice questions around 1900 mostly got 85 - 90 percent
Did actual test got mostly around 85 percent
CBT Nuggets videos some Cccure videos
Studied pretty hard for three months, passed my CEH in July and started studying for CISSP.
I have 7 years experience in Cyber Security.
I got 677 marks

I found the test yesterday was very hard there were so many things that I had never heard of. It was very vague and mostly three answers looked right. Nothing from Orange Book, hardly any from Cryptography very tough questions from Cloud that were not in Shon Harris's book or cccure. Not many technical questions. If some one says that almost nothing has changed after 15 April.. I strongly disagree. They keep saying this because their material is not updated and they want people to buy it. I took the whole 6 hours.. so disappointed. So many questions that I was like what the..... Not many straight forward questions at all.

I am totally confused now and not sure where to study from.. Can some one please advise how to prepare for the exam now.. I want to pass this asap. I am thinking of buying CBK 4th edition.. suggestions plz

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree the questions were vague on the exam, I would recommend the cybrary videos because she gives some good advise on how to prepare for the exam and take the test. I read the updated Sybex book too that just came out for the 8 domains and I thought that helped me. I also had those cloud questions also but I believe those are the "sample" questions that don't actually count towards your score.

Don't give up, make sure you try the test again asap so you don't forget the material!
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Canberra1973 - Hang in there! you are soo close!

Alexsmith - I have the Sybex book as well. What chapters would you suggest focusing on related to the Cloud Computing. I am about 3/4 of the way through the book and have started skimming parts of it because it is duplicate and wordy explanations of Eric Conrad's book. The Cloud portion is new but they tend to jump around a lot in the Sybex book.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks heaps... i ve bought CBK 4th edition already and will buy the Sybex too :) so will try my best. Congrats on passing yours. My boss told me few months ago if I pass CISSP i will get a promotion so getting desperate.
  • Options
    nguyenvnnguyenvn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam on the 14th and failed with a 695. I know how you feel... Hopefully we both pass on our second try.
  • Options
    splash24splash24 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up.A little bit of luck needed sometimes.If not for Crypto scenario based questions I would not have been able to pass the exam as it's my strongest area.I am sure you will clear it in the next attempt.Was a pretty close attempt.
  • Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Cybrary videos as mentioned are definitely worth a watch. Try to watch/read from as many different sources as you can. I found the drag and drop questions to be pretty straight forward. Having at least 2 questions that look correct does make this exam a challenge.
  • Options
    AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    Canberra1973 - Hang in there! you are soo close!

Alexsmith - I have the Sybex book as well. What chapters would you suggest focusing on related to the Cloud Computing. I am about 3/4 of the way through the book and have started skimming parts of it because it is duplicate and wordy explanations of Eric Conrad's book. The Cloud portion is new but they tend to jump around a lot in the Sybex book.

Thanks!

The sybex book didn't cover cloud computing that well, but I think those questions were part of the test questions that don't count towards your score like I've read on here from other posts. I would just research on the risks companies face when storing their services in the cloud if you want to get some extra reading on that subject.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I say you were ready minus newer material. I say don't bother rereading outdated stuff and practicing outdated questions on cccure or similar, you seem to know it already. Read (from anywhere) and make sure you digested newer concepts such as cloud computing, IoT, SSO, etc and you'll be fine. Pros, cons, shortcomings, security considerations of implementing cloud, this kind of stuff.
  • Options
    gene33gene33 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Canberra1973
    Sorry about the test.
    I am taking my in 8 days, getting pretty nervous about it.
    I got the new sybex book and it did have newer material in it. Worth a read, not as wordy as the AIO.
    I found the NIST 800-144 on security issues for public cloud computing very worthwhile. It has a lot of detail, more than the sybex. Maybe someone who has passed the exam can add their $.02.
    Good luck on your next attempt.

• Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh man, I am scheduled for the 7th of Nov..now you've got me worried. I thought I had all the bases covered...crapola!
  • Options
    cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    havoc64 wrote: »
    Oh man, I am scheduled for the 7th of Nov..now you've got me worried. I thought I had all the bases covered...crapola!

Yeah man, me too, they're scaring us, I'm taking mine at the end of Oct.
    OP: I know you feel bad, but you have tremendous experience now as compared to the rest of us who haven't taken it. Jeez, 695, you were one question off man. I wish I had your score :), I hope I do over 600.

EDIT:

There also seems to be some discrepancies between people's postings; some say it was real easy, some say it was real hard for them, I hope I get the easy one rofl. Neah, I'm not worried, I'll pound on it, I wouldn't want to pass it in the first place if I wasn't ready to.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry about the news.

There are plenty of threads of people that have failed and passed, I suggest you PM some of them and figure out a plan of attack. I would re-take it as soon as you can.

Keep your head up, stay focused and you will pass.
  • Options
    21ctl21ctl Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    all the best on your next attempt
  • Options
    Thanks nguyen hopefully we will pass. Good luck next time :)
    nguyenvn wrote: »
    I took the exam on the 14th and failed with a 695. I know how you feel... Hopefully we both pass on our second try.
  • Options
    Thanks heaps splash24.. congrats on passing.. I will try my best
    splash24 wrote: »
    Don't give up.A little bit of luck needed sometimes.If not for Crypto scenario based questions I would not have been able to pass the exam as it's my strongest area.I am sure you will clear it in the next attempt.Was a pretty close attempt.
  • Options
    Thanks Archon.. i did not have any drag and drop question at all... I will definitely find these videos and watch them. I have started reading CBK 4th edition.
    Archon wrote: »
    The Cybrary videos as mentioned are definitely worth a watch. Try to watch/read from as many different sources as you can. I found the drag and drop questions to be pretty straight forward. Having at least 2 questions that look correct does make this exam a challenge.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot gespenstern... thats very helpful.. I will try my best. I should have researched a bit better. I was getting the impression that If I read Shon Harris thoroughly i ll be fine .. cheers
    I say you were ready minus newer material. I say don't bother rereading outdated stuff and practicing outdated questions on cccure or similar, you seem to know it already. Read (from anywhere) and make sure you digested newer concepts such as cloud computing, IoT, SSO, etc and you'll be fine. Pros, cons, shortcomings, security considerations of implementing cloud, this kind of stuff.
  • Options
    Cyberscum.. thanks.. very good idea... i should do that
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Sorry about the news.

There are plenty of threads of people that have failed and passed, I suggest you PM some of them and figure out a plan of attack. I would re-take it as soon as you can.

Keep your head up, stay focused and you will pass.
  • Options
    Thanks 21cel..
    21ctl wrote: »
    all the best on your next attempt
  • Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I answered the CISSP today and scored 695 . this was my second attempt. I dont think i will be answering this again . icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    melvinfz wrote: »
    I answered the CISSP today and scored 695 . this was my second attempt. I dont think i will be answering this again . icon_sad.gif

So close you are only 2 questions away from passing!...
  • Options
    melvinfz.. thats is bad luck... so close... hopefully next time
  • Options
    gene33.. thanks for the info... I will get sybex book as well and look into NIST 800-144 too. Still cant go anywhere near the books but hopefully should resume study soon. Best of luck with your exam.. hope you pass.
  • Options

Melvinfz - This would be a very trying process if I were in your shoes. Personally if I can't do it in two tries I am done. Given how much time and effort I've put into this exam, if it takes me more than twice something is wrong. We just hired a Security Manager and their certs were the lowest on the list of important items. It was their experience and personality that got them the job!
  • Options
    Hi G33k3r,

I have been working as an IT Manager for 13 years but my exposure in security is like moderate . I cleared the OSCP examination easily . But when I researched they said CISSP was the top of all certifications hence I attempted it , the first attempt was 623 , second attempt was 695 so am thinking now since i have studied so much why not give a try last time . if i fail the third time then CISSP is not for me . :) Just dejected since i failed by just 5 marks .
  • Options
    cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know but it sounds impressive that you have passed OSCP "easily". I would not dare to do that. But then, OSCP and CISSP are entirely different beasts. I don't really feel like CISSP being "top of all certifications" LOL.
  • Options
    I am impressed that you passed the OSCP. To me this cert has much more credibility given you need to practice the theory and prove you know it. If you've got the money, go for it!
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi G33k3r,

I have been working as an IT Manager for 13 years but my exposure in security is like moderate . I cleared the OSCP examination easily . But when I researched they said CISSP was the top of all certifications hence I attempted it , the first attempt was 623 , second attempt was 695 so am thinking now since i have studied so much why not give a try last time . if i fail the third time then CISSP is not for me . :) Just dejected since i failed by just 5 marks .

If the CISSP is a career goal that you have why would you give up. I know people that have taken it three and four times and finally passed. If this is truly a goal you have for yourself don't ever give up. I know it will be hard, take time, money and effort, but anything worth getting in life does.
  • Options
    Let me try it again next month . I just need to try harder .
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□

Don't make the decision to walk away based off emotion. Take a few days and clear the mind and then check your gut. Everything worth something in my life has taken effort. You were so close.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F