Options

Remote desktop via browser problem

OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
I'm experimenting with remote desktop
Now i know you can connect using the remote communication client
..I wanted to try and connect via my browser
So i installed IIS on the remote machine (windows XP)..yes i also installed remote desktop web connection in the IIS details.

I try to connect from my host , a windows 2k3 system
i give in the details in my browser http://ip/tsweb

then i says that the page cannot be found icon_sad.gif
I do this process in virtual pc systems, i don't have internet connectivity but i can access the remote system via ping etc, its implemented correctly in the domain

edit:
well the service is running correctly on the remote machine, because when i do http://remote_computer/tsweb
i see the page for connection, of course useless to connect to a machine where i'm currently working on.

Here are my NIC configs.
win xp
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.106.216
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.106.116

win 2k3
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.106.116
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.106.116

What am i doing wrong ?

Thanx in advance

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have no other websites on that machine then you can leave it at the default port 80. It is recommended however that you change that to a port above 1000 for security purposes.

As far as connecting from a remote machine. The "Page Cannot Be Displayed" would indicate to me that your router is not forwarding TCP port 80 to the machine that is running Remote Desktop Web Connection. Of course if you change the port to something other than 80 in IIS then you will want to forward that port instead. That should resolve the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. You will also want to forward TCP port 3389 to that same machine to allow RDP traffic to that machine. If you are running Windows Firewall then make sure you allow Remote Desktop through the firewall. Also, make sure you add the user you are wanting to connect to the Remote users of the System Properties.

Once you connect via your web browser you will be prompted to install an active x control. then you will be able to connect......you do not have to enter a server name in this setup, just leave it blank and click connect.

Good luck and post back if you have any other problems with it
  • Options
    Yea i actually knew all that :D

I'm running both OS's in virtual pc so no router is used and in win firewall don't allow exceptions is not checked so it is'n blocking any traffic..

Dunno where the problem could be
    thanx for the input though.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    is your server named "ip"? i'm sure you already know that it must be [url]http://[/url]/url][i]servername[/i/tsweb.

um if i understand correctly you are using some sort of virtual pc, i don't know anything about that but i will assume it will work the same as two pc's.
    so on your server, try accessing the page by, say, http://localhost/tsweb. like that you can make sure that it does in fact work.

if that doesn't work, make sure iis is started, and all the relevant whatevers are installed and running.

if instead it does work, try then from your client to access the server by ip address, i.e. http://10.1.106.116/tsweb. just to make sure it's not a name resolution issue.

and if you have a firewall on, try turning it off on both ends.
    witty comment
  • Options
    As far as connecting from a remote machine. The "Page Cannot Be Displayed" would indicate to me that your router is not forwarding TCP port 80 to the machine that is running Remote Desktop Web Connection.
    but this is all happening locally so the router wouldn't have anything to do with it.
    witty comment
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    win firewall don't allow exceptions is not checked

You still have to manually select remote desktop in the Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab even though don't allow exceptions isn't checked. Be worth checking out.
  • Options
    yea with ip i mean the internet protocol of the remote machine ,lol
    thus 10.1.106.216..or the computername

yea it works locally on the system..
  • Options
    Opi wrote:

so turn off yer bloody firewall and see if that's it :)
    witty comment
  • Options
    hmm remote desktop was selected in exception standard

now i stopped the windows firewall on the windows xp machine and tried connection from the server and it worked.
    So the firewall in windows was idd blocking something...weird

Thanx for the input guys

Greetz
  • Options
    _omni_ wrote:
    Opi wrote:

so turn off yer bloody firewall and see if that's it :)

lol omni give me some time to put that damn thing off and test the result :p

thanx man