Options

Offered job as a Sr. Wintel/VMware engineer

2»

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I figured that pay was low when I saw it given the area and responsibilities. For a senior position like that I'd think 6 figures easily.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    well that's always a hard topic, once I pass the CCNA, what 'should' I be making with the CCNA, VCP, and other certs plus experience? ...Could I easily command what each cert upon itself commands, I truly think Dice numbers are inflated so much...

I take the ICDN2 on the 31st and it will just be a matter of time until I pass it since I'm bloody persistent, aiming for a one time hitter though but prepared to fail a few times...
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's all subjective based on experience and the job. Once I get the CCNP, I'll still only have 1-2 years of Network Engineer experience. I couldn't (or at least I don't think) go quit and command 90k elsewhere because of the CCNP. I would probably need more experience. 82k for that large of an environment might be low but it's your first job on that scale and you don't have to stay forever. They'll go up to 90k though I bet. If you're the lead, 82k is definitely on the lower side. If they offered 82k, they probably budgeted for 80-100k, just tell them you want more?

Also, the CCNA probably doesn't get you any more money since it's worth less than 82k and not really related to the job. MCSE though I'm guessing would allow you to command more money. If it was me, I'd probably take it, get the next level VMware cert and an MCSE, finish WGU, and go try to get 100k elsewhere in 2 years since I think you have a handful of years already in the field. I think an expert level cert (VCIX or VCAP or whatever it is now right? And MCSE) would definitely get you what you want.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Pay seems low.
    i thought the very same thing. No senior position should be less than 90-100k
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It indeed seems low but I've seen senior positions paying less. To lead a whole sector of a large datacenter I'd expect around $120k but some companies use the senior title really loosely. I'd ask for more but I wouldn't blame anyone for settling on a $20k increase to get the higher level responsibility.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pay seems low, but it would be a step up from the current situation. Bigger money would follow I would think.

It seems like there are fewer high paying senor positions at least in general systems/storage/networking roles in my town, even contract/temp gigs. I have been wanting out of my current company for a while, but I can't find anything that even comes within 20% of my current compensation unless I go with a travel heavy role.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    This company contacted me today, I have a phone interview on Wednesday night. icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage,

Good luck to you, but PLEASE be careful of CSC. I worked there for over 7 years. I (and 5,000 others) were let go in March of this year as part of this new corporate structure they are doing. I was in the Cyber Security Division and they ripped us apart. It was probably my fault for giving 7 years of my loyalty to them for such crappy pay while my coworkers took off for higher paying gigs (yes, I am bitter). But, to give us no warning and drop us like a lead weight on a Wednesday afternoon is just crappy.

You have many skills, make sure they pay you for them. They will NOT give you raises or bonuses. In 7 years, I had neither of them. You can expect that with this new structure and the current CEO, Lawrie. He is only looking out for himself. Get whatever training you can from them and learn what you can, and then look for greener pastures.

Good luck.

Breadfan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    I retrospect of many on here in regards to CSC and after doing more digging with the hiring manager I decided that even with the higher pay the job longevity wasn't a promise so it wasn't worth the jump for me ot take. It was a hard decision but I need a job that will have stability and they couldn't answer that question for me.