Options

Which to choose? Popularity of the Company or Scope of Another?

TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys! You all have been an invaluable resource to me.

I need some advice.

I was approached by a recruiter for ExxonMobil for their IT staff. It would be contract for a year at 36k.
Not even an hour later I was called back by another application I had submitted for a small school in my town. I would be the only IT guy for the campus (it's an aviation school) so not that large. To me it sounds the equivalent of IT Manager. However they only can offer 34k.

If you were in my shoes. I've been unemployed for about a year now (not including military work). As anyone else on here I am trying to get advice on which would look better on the resume and if they pay dilemma is crazy at all.
These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Is contract W2? Offer benefits? Renewable? Possible lead into full time status?

With the information you gave me I would go with the school if your looking for stable, benefits and getting JOAT experience. Odds are you would not really be working for ExxonMobil but for a company who has a contract for them...
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    Is contract W2? Offer benefits? Renewable? Possible lead into full time status?

With the information you gave me I would go with the school if your looking for stable, benefits and getting JOAT experience. Odds are you would not really be working for ExxonMobil but for a company who has a contract for them...

That's what I was thinking. Here is the excerpt from the email

As discussed , please give me a rate confirmation for $17.50/HR on W2 (all inclusive) for the below position, do fill the following details and send it back to me ASAP. So that I can submit your resume to client ExxonMobil.

I will be getting more information about benefits. I'm glad you brought that up. It sounds fixed length through the recruiter (no mention of anything after the 12 months).

To be honest, I'm new to recruiters. Anytime I have gotten a job it was a direct hire. Now a lot of what I see on Linkedin and such is recruiters. Makes me feel like I'm in a shark tank sometimes.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for with recruiters or full time jobs in general?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    So that I can submit your resume to client ExxonMobil.
    It sounds like you haven't even interviewed for the ExxonMobil job yet. Have you gone on an interview? Have you received an official offer?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally I think I would prefer the environment at the school as well. I'd say interview for both and see what each is offering.
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    It sounds like you haven't even interviewed for the ExxonMobil job yet. Have you gone on an interview? Have you received an official offer?

This is where this guy is confusing. I'm going to say no at the moment but he's been weird from the get go.

• Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be honest, I'm new to recruiters. Anytime I have gotten a job it was a direct hire. Now a lot of what I see on Linkedin and such is recruiters. Makes me feel like I'm in a shark tank sometimes.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for with recruiters or full time jobs in general?

Tread carefully! Recruiters can be a valuable resource that can assist in getting you into the industry with a reputable employer. They can also be liars and full of crap. A really good recruiter will understand your skill set and experience and match you with an organization that he or she has worked with or are familiar with.

It doesn't sound like you're working with a really good recruiter.

My advice is to take the more interesting opportunity and broaden and deepen your skill set. Either way, good luck, and congratulations no matter which direction you choose!
    icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At the start of career it's very beneficial to put big names into your resume if you are heading to fly high.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I JUST had a situation with a recruiter that was going to forward my resume directly to the hiring manager. NEVER heard back from her and I can say that I have never had a good experience with a recruiter. If I were you, I would go with the school.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Until you actually get an offer from either prospective employer, there's no decision to be made. Since you are unemployed, I would suggest you apply for both and learn about the jobs before making any decisions.

If you are wary of the recruiter - do some basic research using google and find out more about the reputation of the recruiter's firm. But remember, the recruiter works for the employer not the candidate.

Good luck in the interview process.
  • Options
    I want to say thank you all for your advice. I will be doing my research and keeping my hopes high!

• Options
    shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on what your responsibilities would be for the Exxon contract job.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've had two negative experiences with recruiters, the most recent was very, very bad. The recruiter was putting me under severe pressure to accept the job and unfortunately, I crumbled. Do your research and go where you want to go. The school sounds better to me. Recruits don't give a stuff about you - they're looking out for themselves and their paycheque.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know the feeling si20. Had a similar experience and ended up leaving my previous employer and now regretting the decision each day now.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do what you feel is right for you but personally i would chose a reputable company over a job role as this world runs on perception as much as thats wrong sometimes a rubbish collector for Lockheed Martin is perceived to be of more value than a CEO for a company no one has heard of.. silly example but you get my point. I've work for about 8 different companies only two of them are not well known and that was because of situations out of my control but at the end of the day its your choice do whatever makes you happy.
  • Options
    si20 wrote: »
    I've had two negative experiences with recruiters, the most recent was very, very bad. The recruiter was putting me under severe pressure to accept the job and unfortunately, I crumbled. Do your research and go where you want to go. The school sounds better to me. Recruits don't give a stuff about you - they're looking out for themselves and their paycheque.

I know recruiters are sometimes bad but what really makes them bad?

• Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know recruiters are sometimes bad but what really makes them bad?

LOTS of potential pit falls with a dishonest recruiter.

The dishonest ones are willing to lie to employers about your credentials and experience. That would set you up for failure at a job where you aren't familiar with the technologies or processes that you would be working with. A dishonest one would also willing to lie to YOU, the candidate, about their level of access or relationship to a particular organization or organizations in a certain area. i.e.: Promise to give your resume to hiring manager for a company that you're interested in working for or with, but really just shotgun it out to a bunch of prospects who will later NOT want to follow up with you because the recruiter would claim that he was owed a finders' fee if they hired you.

Not to mention you being offered a position and the recruiter either demanding an exorbitant fee and/or quoting a lower rate to you then was offered in order to skim off of the offer. I've heard a number or different horror stories, but they're all pretty easy to avoid. Just make sure that you research the individual contacting you and their organization and don't assent to anything or send them any personal information until you are satisfied that they are reputable and honest.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever