Options

Interim Clearance need help.

cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello I recently accepted a job offer and I need an interim clearance to start. It is making me really nervous. I don't have any type of criminal record. My record is pretty much spotless except for a couple of debts that I had in college. I was a student at the time with health insurance.. When I went to the hospital they accepted my insurance. Later I found out that my insurance defaulted and I had no idea and the payments actually ended up going to a collection agency because the insurance company said I had to prove that I was a student full time (which I was, but found out too late) . I had 2 hospital debts one for around 200 dollars and the other for about 900 back in 2010. I paid all the debts in full last month but one of the debts is still showing on my credit report.. Apparently the collection agency forgot to report it to the credit bureau. What are my chances of getting an Interim clearance. I don't have any doubts on obtaining a security clearance, but I need the interim clearance for my job to go through?[h=2][/h]

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. What type of clearance are you getting? I don't know what you mean by a interim clearance. You just have limited access to do work while you wait for your clearance. You do alot of reading.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really doesn't matter your criminal background or debts for security clearances.

Before I get flamed, let me clarify.

For criminal they are looking for continuous criminal activity or that you haven't learned from the criminal activity.

For debts. They don't care if its 1000. If its defaulted they might tell you to pay it off completely. They are looking for you to make your payments on time. They dont want the temptation of someone coming to pay your debts. Or that you're spending stuff you can't afford.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just be up front and honest about everything and you will be fine. I don't see any issues as your debt is paid off now. The interim clearance is just a temporary determination until you get your final secret or TS. Pretty much everyone gets the interim while their background info is still being checked.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cms819 wrote: »
    Hello I recently accepted a job offer and I need an interim clearance to start. It is making me really nervous. I don't have any type of criminal record. My record is pretty much spotless except for a couple of debts that I had in college. I was a student at the time with health insurance.. When I went to the hospital they accepted my insurance. Later I found out that my insurance defaulted and I had no idea and the payments actually ended up going to a collection agency because the insurance company said I had to prove that I was a student full time (which I was, but found out too late) . I had 2 hospital debts one for around 200 dollars and the other for about 900 back in 2010. I paid all the debts in full last month but one of the debts is still showing on my credit report.. Apparently the collection agency forgot to report it to the credit bureau. What are my chances of getting an Interim clearance. I don't have any doubts on obtaining a security clearance, but I need the interim clearance for my job to go through?
    What kind of clearance do you need? Who are you working for?
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have seen people with DWI convictions, bankruptcies and run ins with the law obtain TS clearances. As long as you are honest with everything and you show progress in your issues it should not be a problem. There is no one size fits all with the investigations; They literally look at each case and the whole person concept.

BTW, depending on your clearance I would be very cautious about stating online what you do and who you do it for. As well as any critical information.

If you have specific questions ask the investigating official or a security manger.
  • Options
    cms819cms819 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your replies. I just tend to worry too much icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    cms819 wrote: »
    Hello I recently accepted a job offer and I need an interim clearance to start. It is making me really nervous. I don't have any type of criminal record. My record is pretty much spotless except for a couple of debts that I had in college. I was a student at the time with health insurance.. When I went to the hospital they accepted my insurance. Later I found out that my insurance defaulted and I had no idea and the payments actually ended up going to a collection agency because the insurance company said I had to prove that I was a student full time (which I was, but found out too late) . I had 2 hospital debts one for around 200 dollars and the other for about 900 back in 2010. I paid all the debts in full last month but one of the debts is still showing on my credit report.. Apparently the collection agency forgot to report it to the credit bureau. What are my chances of getting an Interim clearance. I don't have any doubts on obtaining a security clearance, but I need the interim clearance for my job to go through?

If this is for the US Federal Govt - they conduct backgrounds for Top Secret (Interim) and will grant it has long as you don't pop up in a local law enforcement check or NCIC.

Once the single scope background investigation is completed (SSBI) - you will be granted a full TS/SCI once you are read on. Other add-ons will come if necessary. SCI is "need to know"...

Basically, they are looking for information on your background to make sure you can't be blackmailed by a foreign service agent to where you are pressured to give out secrets. If someone does attempt to do this after you are hired, it is your responsibility to report it and the US Govt will take it from there.

If it is a Secret - they just run national and local LE check to make sure you don't have a criminal record.

If this is the only thing you have - no worries mate! Congrats on the job!!! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Basically, a security clearance is a "risk assessment" of the person. When you fill out the form, just declare everything up front. I fill it all out, parking tickets, you name it. I usually put in more than they can find and then they are like, "Oh", and roll to other stuff that they might have a concern about. If you tell them everything then nothing can be used against you.

Your hospital debt is unfortunate, but not your fault as your insurance company defaulted. It would help to have any supporting documentation on the company defaulting just in case they ask.