Options

First IT Job Interview!

TrollhydraTrollhydra Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm pretty excited here, I've worked at Wal Mart for a few years and my friend told me instead of going back to college I should try to get my CCNA and get a job like that. He had rosy glasses on about how getting a CCNA will get you a good job right away and I shouldn't have to bother with help desk (Of course the interview is for help desk =P). Well I did research and realized he was wrong after about the CCENT route and I'm still happy I did all that work.

I've only been looking for about a week! I've seen people say it could take months upon months to get your first foot in the door, especially if you have no degree and no IT experience. I'm also a self studier and I've seen some less then favorable views about that just because of how common brain **** are. If anyone has some suggestions to refresh my memory feel free to post them.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck. Ask alot of questions! Bring a notebook!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck with your first IT interview! I've always found (and I mean always) that employers love self-study. I've not met one employer yet who wasn't impressed with the amount of hours I do outside of working hours. Keep doing what you're doing. If I was you, i'd probably spend approx 1 year working at a helpdesk, then move onto an IT Support/Technician/Networking role. From there, you'll get really good experience. Stick with that and continue learning and you'll do well.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's going to be an incredibly tough task to skip the desk and head straight in to networking w/ no experience. The desk is the foundation for most of us and a great starting spot. Congrats on the interview and blessings on the start of your new journey.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    I was able to skip the desk. My work needed support for our lab and I jumped at the chance to learn networking.
  • Options
    TrollhydraTrollhydra Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get that, I've lurked here for a bit, and I see a good attitude to have is to never stop learning. I saw the job had active directory as a plus, guess what I did? Watched some videos on active directory.

I've cracked open a CCNP book because I was getting a little bored in that week waiting for replies lol.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I was able to skip helpdesk as well, but I got lucky and got in a desktop job after bugging the VP. icon_wink.gif
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    Research the company, show that you care!