Options

Changing direction

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot of good things. I've been in IT for about twenty years, I started as a programmer in the mid 90s for a small firm that eventually failed. Then the tech bubble hit and I found myself in field service ever since. I did work for a couple years in desktop support for Ashland chemical, nationwide insurance but find a great paying job in field service and been there the past 13yrs.

Currently I moved to Charlotte. NC and took a field service job to get to know the area really quickly while making money. Wasn't an issue getting the job, first one I applied to, hired in one meeting.
I support small to mid sized companies in their IT needs, everything from network gear and wiring, to servers, AD, GPO, hyper v, remote support, help desk (while driving lol), to printing devices, etc.

Now I'm wanting to get into a role as "IT Guy" for a small to mid sized company. I'm currently working on MCSA going that will up my appeal and pay. I'm tired of driving and here in the south they don't pay field service nearly what I was making up north. I've been wanting to get off the road for years anyway.

I'm getting the typical 3-4 recruiters/day offering those help desk jobs for 12/hr. So annoying.

Any advice guys?

Comments

• Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I might know something for an MSP in CLT. If you want to send me your resume, I would be glad to pass it along.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're willing to go contract I wouldn't think you would have any trouble finding something in Charlotte at all. I get hit up all the time for gigs down there, it's just more of a commute that I want right now, and I'm not willing to leave a secure perm role to do it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm guessing I must need higher post count to send PM's?

I'll do contract work, thats about all I see here. I hope they really do mean contract to hire as I've done contract work before and it was always short term stuff or some weird situation were I was the unlucky guy to find out I was sitting in for a deployed soldier, long vacation etc.