CompTIA A+ questions about practice tests

domn425domn425 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody, I've been studying for the 220-801 exam for the past few weeks and I felt that I'm pretty good with the material I've covered in the two books I used so far (exam cram and A+ certification passport, also about to receive the Mike Meyer's CompTIA A+ all-in-one certification guide for free off someone as I just found out they have the book). Thing is, I've tried some online practice tests, and I did pretty well in most, but few had some questions that seemed that they should be in the 802 exam, or some that weren't even covered in the book I used at first (which was the reason I got the second one).

I've printed out the exam objectives straight off the CompTIA website but I'm getting a little paranoid about this exam, putting it off further because I feel like I'm missing some information, as every time I study more, I come across some new kinds of questions that make me feel like I'm not good enough at this yet.

What do you guys think? Is the 220-801 exam hard?

Honestly so far my only weak areas are the printers and some of the cables, which is because I simply didn't spend much time on those yet. The rest is good, I think. Either way, I keep revising things everyday and hoping not to find any more weird questions online that make me feel like I'm not ready for the exam.

Also, I think in some questions, there are two right answers. In the real world you could do whichever you decide to first, but only one answer is correct. Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    domn425 wrote:

What do you guys think? Is the 220-801 exam hard?

hmmmm...No. though it depends...

However, the exam is geared toward a candidate WITH experience. If you know the objectives and have used a text or two, you'll likely do just fine.

Do not judge the exams based on practice exams and how you 'feel' the questions should have been prepared or placed. The main exam will be based upon the objectives and possibly some BETA questions for future exams...BETA questions are not scored.

The first exam is always one to cause jitters to folks. Take the plunge if you are ready, only you will know if you are ready or not. Worst case, you fail and need to reschedule...most folks fail one or several exams in their career, failing is not bad, it simply highlights what you don't know well...yet...and gives you some guidance for areas to improve upon.

Yes, the exams are expensive, but you are investing in yourself and your skillset, so go in as prepared as possible, but don't over stress.

You'll do fine.

I am one of the few who recommend taking the exams on the same day, at the very least a day apart, but the material works together, so one needs to know it in tangent int he field.

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I share the same sentiments as Plantwiz - the exam really isn't that difficult if you've been in an environment where you've built/imaged/refreshed a few thousand workstations and understand how stuff works - and how it doesn't...mostly icon_lol.gif - from real life experience. If you don't, CompTIA throws those questions in there that are a monkey-wrench to IT novices but plain as day to veterans just to get ya - those best-case scenarios that are easier to comprehend when you've seen it a couples times. Good luck! BTW, I just took 220-801/2 pretty recently so let me know if I could be of any help.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • domn425domn425 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't have any work experience in an IT field, I am planning to get into that after I acquire my A+. I do although have experience building computers and troubleshooting for years, helping out relatives and friends with various problems. I've never taken any of my computers to a tech, always just learned how to fix it and did it. Also have experience starting up servers at home and whatnot. I think I'll do well enough in the exams I just found a few questions online that ended up worrying me a little bit about the fact that maybe the books I went through don't have all the information I might need to know for the exams.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sure you'll do fine! Basically, it's all Hardware (40%) and Networking (27%) so it's just like piecing together your killer gaming machine at Fry's Electronics (or similar/comparable store) from their bargains and seeing if that motherboard fits that case and if your video card has enough juice with that power supply, etc; then trying to have a massive lan-party yet someone brought a hub instead of a switch or something (actually, probably not even that complex).

New CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 - Get Certified Get Ahead

https://www.cybrary.it/course/comptia-aplus

Professor Messer's CompTIA A+ Training Course Overview | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Grumble...really dislike the "I don't have experience" comments followed by "I have done..."

All experience matters! Do not sell yourself short.

Give it a go, the longer the exams are put off...the more anxiety you will build. If you understand the objectives and can explain those points to others, you are likely ready.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • l_Sirius_ll_Sirius_l Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also scheduled to take the exams and have some concerns. I've read the eighth edition of Mike Meyers' All-in-One A+ Exam Guide, taken notes, and repeatedly done the free practice tests on the CD that came with the book until I could consistently get 85%-97%. I've also practiced with about 20 quizzes each containing 25 questions on a Web site in addition to using some other sites. I thought I was fine with most of the conceptual things and that it was just a matter of memorizing the specifications, pins, different speeds, etc. However, I recently came across a quiz in which there were many questions about Linux and OSI, both of which I'm pretty sure weren't covered in the book (I could've sworn the book actually said that the exams would only cover Windows). So, I'd like to know where I stand. Am I on the right track or did I go wrong somewhere in my strategy for preparing for these exams?
  • zzyzzzzyzz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    l_Sirius_l wrote: »
    I'm also scheduled to take the exams and have some concerns. I've read the eighth edition of Mike Meyers' All-in-One A+ Exam Guide, taken notes, and repeatedly done the free practice tests on the CD that came with the book until I could consistently get 85%-97%. I've also practiced with about 20 quizzes each containing 25 questions on a Web site in addition to using some other sites. I thought I was fine with most of the conceptual things and that it was just a matter of memorizing the specifications, pins, different speeds, etc. However, I recently came across a quiz in which there were many questions about Linux and OSI, both of which I'm pretty sure weren't covered in the book (I could've sworn the book actually said that the exams would only cover Windows). So, I'd like to know where I stand. Am I on the right track or did I go wrong somewhere in my strategy for preparing for these exams?

That quiz you came across is mostly likely inaccurate. I've read that Linux will be included in the upcoming 900 series of the A+ but not in the 800 series. As for the OSI model that is more of a Network+ question.
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the 802 a month ago and let me tell you there were a lot of printer questions but all honesty you should be fine. I got interested in IT 6 months ago. The only thing I did was surf the web ,but now I can talk about the OSI model and subnetting. YOU GOT THIS!!
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+