Options

Blog Links on Resumes?

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
So what's the agreed on protocol for listing technical blogs on your resume? Say for example you're applying for a security position and you run a security blog, would this be something you'd throw on your resume? And where would you place it?
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, there is no "right" answer to that question. I've heard it suggested that you can put it in the experience section or just provide a link across the top, where your contact info goes.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most people I know don't, unless you are some well known tech blogger or your blog does pretty well in your field.
    Anyone can start a blog, but unless it's getting noticed and some traction I don't think it ads any value on your resume.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I wouldn't. The company will most likely Google you and should be able to find it that way. Make it visible on your LinkedIn.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have a nice blog that you keep updated it might be a nice addition. If it's something crappy you updated two years ago then yeah don't. Most companies these days are also starting to add a place to put a personal URL on applications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have a tech blog so I haven't done it. But, if I was hiring security people and saw they had a blog all about security I'd check it out. If it had reasonable grammar and showed a lot of passion for the industry it would help their chances.

With that said, I was hiring a sysadmin years ago at another company. He looked good right up until the end, he sent me another email with his blog and told me to check it out... oh man... bad. Like every bad thing you wouldn't ever put on your resume, he put on his blog. Too bad really, we would have hired him otherwise. Long rants about religion, politics, his not really work friendly hobbies, repeatedly stating how thick headed he was and if someone doesn't feel the same as he does on these points he'll never back down from the argument, etc, no thanks.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    if I was hiring security people and saw they had a blog all about security I'd check it out. If it had reasonable grammar and showed a lot of passion for the industry it would help their chances.
    Ditto - if someone had a professional blog and it was current, it will definitely help their prospects with me.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you have a nice blog that you keep updated it might be a nice addition. If it's something crappy you updated two years ago then yeah don't. Most companies these days are also starting to add a place to put a personal URL on applications.

+1

While the security industry isn't there yet, if you look at web dev/web design style jobs they actually very little for resumes and would prefer to look at your portfolio/github/etc to see how you think and the quality of your work. A blog can certainly help, but only if it is relevant to proving your experience in a specific area/subject.