Options

WGU Software Development degree start 12/1

moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
The time has come when I will now be able to actually start the program. I was going to start the program around the same time last year, but with work getting busy I knew I would not be able to dedicate the needed time to succeed. I transferred in 57 credits and I have 66 left to complete it.

Classes left to complete:

Class #
Title
CU

IT Foundations

IT Applications

C176
Business of IT - Project Management

C169
Scripting and Programming - Applications

C170
Data Management - Applications

EDV1
Software I

C195
Software II - Advanced Java Concepts

Organizational Behavior and
Leadership

C188
Software Engineering

C193
Client-Server Application Development

C196
Mobile Application Development

SBT1
Technical Writing

C199
Software Development Capstone

C189
Data Structures

Operating Systems for Programmers

Principals of Management

Data Management for programmers

Total

Few things which bothered me. My previous transcript evaluation gave me credit for IT foundations and applications because I hold the MCSE certification, but now WGU said the requirement for to transfer credit for this class is the A+ cert. Really? I do hold the A+ certification as well, but it is more than 5 years old. I find it strange they offer a low level certification in a software degree program. What will A+ do for me to help address why my code wont compile haha. I also find it strange they do not realize MCSE is a higher industry certification then CompTIA A+.

Anyway, I wanted to reach out and see who else is in the program and what your thoughts are. For anyone who has taken any of these classes any input on how fast you passed these classes would be greatly appreciated. I figured this will be a 2 term program, hoping I can do 30 credits per term resulting in taking 1 year.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rdupuyrdupuy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently signed up for BS Software Development, hoping to start 1/1/2016

Unfortunately the hold up for me, is waiting on tax transcripts for verification.

I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to say that whole thing of getting A+ certification is not a thrill for me either. In the past, I held Certified Novell Engineer, Microsoft MCP, and Oracle CP certs....all over 5 years old so I currently have zero certifications that WGU will consider.

I just cannot imagine the drudgery, in fact, I'm thinking of switching majors to Health Informatics, it barely has any certifications to pass, lol.

For me courses like Software - Advanced Java concepts, and Mobile Applications Development, and the capstone look like real awesome fun, but with only 30 credit hours to transfer in, I'd be looking at over a year of drudgery before I even got to the fun stuff....my counselor said Health Informatics is hard, but I don't believe it.

I wish WGU would just let you take whatever you wanted. I suppose I could if I started one path, and then switched majors...do you know if you can take classes out of order?