Has Any One Taken The CEH Lately

2»

Comments

• Luc1anLuc1an Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One thing that helped me out was to get familiar with all the current tools you can find in the latest Kali distribution that you can find in kali.org web site.

Understand what they all are for and look for examples in internet. Match them with threads, exploits, vulnerabilities and so on. That will give a clear understanding about what is going on out there. Many questions are fully related with getting on hands experience with those tools.

Hope it helps
  • SecConsultantSecConsultant Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wrote a few days ago in a different pissed-off-people thread that im taking this on Monday and asked how hard it was now after update - the v9. I did promise I will come back and tell how it went.

I was a bit scared cause suddenly I did not know what to expect once I found out that the objectives have changed etc. Took it yesterday after going trough the All-in-one book a few times. One time during the last month or so...then a couple of times in the weekend before :D . 3h and a very very solid pass. It is still as easy as before. I have about 3 years pentest, sec. consulting experience. My conclusion there are two kinds of people complaining in these threads:

1) Have not done much studying and work not much related to security or the sec field they work in is very narrow.
    2) The overconfident IT dudes that think they have accumulated all the comp knowledge over XX years in the field and no studying is needed at all.

Hard to fail this one if you are in the security. Lots and lots of common sense questions. People dont get scared. Some of these threads did that to me...because I thought these guys with 10+ years know what they are talking about.
  • Fidellz254Fidellz254 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wrote a few days ago in a different pissed-off-people thread that im taking this on Monday and asked how hard it was now after update - the v9. I did promise I will come back and tell how it went.

I was a bit scared cause suddenly I did not know what to expect once I found out that the objectives have changed etc. Took it yesterday after going trough the All-in-one book a few times. One time during the last month or so...then a couple of times in the weekend before :D . 3h and a very very solid pass. It is still as easy as before. I have about 3 years pentest, sec. consulting experience. My conclusion there are two kinds of people complaining in these threads:

1) Have not done much studying and work not much related to security or the sec field they work in is very narrow.
    2) The overconfident IT dudes that think they have accumulated all the comp knowledge over XX years in the field and no studying is needed at all.

Hard to fail this one if you are in the security. Lots and lots of common sense questions. People dont get scared. Some of these threads did that to me...because I thought these guys with 10+ years know what they are talking about.

Finally someone with some decent feedback thank you cause I was to the point I was gonna start pulling out the little hair I had . I been going over this old practice test but not trying to memorize the answer expect learning why this is the answer and how they got that answer to be able to dissect certain problems on the test
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. And congrats on the pass!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Finally, someone put the nail in the coffin to all this.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I ask why you took this over the oscp?
  • SecConsultantSecConsultant Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask why you took this over the oscp?

I did attempt OSCP...failed. These two are on completely different levels. But I will attempt again.
  • Sch1smSch1sm Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fidellz254 wrote: »
    Finally someone with some decent feedback thank you cause I was to the point I was gonna start pulling out the little hair I had . I been going over this old practice test but not trying to memorize the answer expect learning why this is the answer and how they got that answer to be able to dissect certain problems on the test
    I'm sorry but what makes this feedback "decent" compared to others? I would be very, very surprised if someone with 3 years experience pen testing couldn't pass a certification that covers the fundamentals of it.
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sch1sm wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what makes this feedback "decent" compared to others? I would be very, very surprised if someone with 3 years experience pen testing couldn't pass a certification that covers the fundamentals of it.

The exam expects you to have 2 years of experience, so having 3 is not way beyond that.
    The exam is not entry level, but if you work really hard and play around with the tools you may have a chance at passing it without the 2 years of experience, but it is going to be really hard.

Sounds like a lot of those who failed, failed with marks in the 60's. It is not that far out of reach, especially with you basically saying now you have no were near 3 years of experience.

I wrote in March:
    "My personal belief from going though the exam once is that there would be no way that a person with no experience could cram and pass this test, but a person with a lot of experience could do very little studying and pass."
  • Fidellz254Fidellz254 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sch1sm wrote: »

Majority of people in these threads are confidence killers. Ya'll make it seem harder then it is. They changed the test so what i just had a guy from my job take his last week and he said it wasn't that bad said yes there's new material but also alot of old material. He passed by just studying the practice exam and the explanation's of why this the right answer. I'm still studying over 1000 questions and there explanations and after reading half these threads it made me question would i even have a job in 30 more days etc.
  • tomatotuxtomatotux Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fidellz254: **** are supposedly answers to the test questions. Their use is very unethical and can be grounds for banning from certs, professional orgs, etc. Not to mention the CEH has an NDA which means you can be found liable for damages.

Personally, I just want to know the material so well I pass based on my knowledge, skill and background.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tomatotux wrote: »
    Fidellz254: **** are supposedly answers to the test questions. Their use is very unethical and can be grounds for banning from certs, professional orgs, etc. Not to mention the CEH has an NDA which means you can be found liable for damages.

Personally, I just want to know the material so well I pass based on my knowledge, skill and background.

I also read on this forum that there are some questions that are 'planted' and intentionally wrong. I guess its a way for the Certifying authority to audit your exam and experience. I am not sure if EC Council does this too.