Options

Landed my first InfoSec job - Security Analyst

suitsonfiresuitsonfire Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
Long story short I applied for a Security Analyst position about a month ago online and received a phone call from their HR department two weeks after applying. After speaking on the phone the HR person felt I was such a good fit she scheduled me for an in-person interview instead of an initial phone interview with the Security Director and Security Architect. The interview went very well with them both and they pretty much let me know they wanted to have me join their SOC but nothing was official until today. They asked a few technical questions during the in-person but not very difficult ones. They were mostly gauging my network and linux knowledge.

I am very excited about this opportunity to say the least. I have been in IT for about 10 years now through various capacities and titles and knew I wanted to eventually go the InfoSec route full-time. I am about 65% done my degree through WGU for IT Security and figured I wouldn't be able to touch any Security Analyst positions until I had that piece of paper. Low and behold I took a chance and it worked out! :) I hope that inspires some of you who might be apprehensive with your experience and talents.

Now, if anyone reading this is currently working in a SOC somewhere in any role I would LOVE to hear your experiences, good or bad as well as any advice you can give.

I am always humbled and so thankful to the many users on this message board through the years and I always thank you all when a major milestone or certification is achieved in my career.

Comments

• Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very cool, congratulations!
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I, like you, just got my first InfoSec position in a SOC type environment. Cheers to hard work and taking chances! Much success to you!
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Congrats on the new gig! When do you start? Cheers!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats man! Remind me to show you the secret InfoSec handshake later icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @cyberguypr is it a three way handshake? lol
    @suitsonfire great job man! It's so great to hear stories like this which gives me hope after I finish up my Bachelor's Degree in Cyber Security/Digital Forensics...I graduate next year! Congrats again!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Well done!
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW!! Congrats! I hope to be in your shoes too some day.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now, if anyone reading this is currently working in a SOC somewhere in any role I would LOVE to hear your experiences, good or bad as well as any advice you can give.

Congrats.

The SOC experience can vary wildly depending on the organization. What will set you apart is not getting into a rut. keep learning, ask questions, don't get complacent. Within six months you'll likely understand the vast majority of the basic technologies involved in security administration and have exposure to a subset of tools used in detection and analysis. Understand the basics and even if only internally ask how an attack was successful (if it was, sometimes you can only guess). Realize that you cannot (most times) force your company to do the right things in terms of security. Don't let that depress you.

Stay on top of security news and events. Start thinking about your next step.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you! Good luck and never stop learning!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□

Here is my SOC experience.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and continued blessings on the journey!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done. congrat. all the best in your new role..
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and many blessings in your journey!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    @cyberguypr is it a three way handshake? lol
    @suitsonfire great job man! It's so great to hear stories like this which gives me hope after I finish up my Bachelor's Degree in Cyber Security/Digital Forensics...I graduate next year! Congrats again!
    Came in to post MITM joke...
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I move into a Info Sec Analyst position back in Feb and am loving it. I thoroughly enjoy the investigations and being "in the know" with pretty much everything going on around me and in our environment.

Do you know what tools you'll be working with? I use RSA SA, RSA DLP and Qualys on daily basis and get better and more proficient each day.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005