Options

Network Admin Entry Level

carbs4evercarbs4ever Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to make a career change to IT and I am trying to use certifications to prove my knowledge and ability in IT to get an entry level Network Administrator position without a tech degree (I have a B.A. in Political Science) or a ton of experience (about 8 months of help desk experience). I have spent the last 6 years in the military working on various IT related missions, but nothing like your traditional network admin so I have a hard time considering it true IT experience. I plan to start the IT job search in the next 3-4 months and this first few certs will be what lands me that initial job that would allow me to gain concrete experience. From there I plan to focus in on the security side of IT.

I just passed my Network+ exam yesterday and I am trying to decide where to go next in order to enhance my resume. Here are certs I am currently considering:

CCNA - this was the go-to for many years but I have been hearing there has been a drop off in companies using Cisco products. Its also a pretty difficult cert and can show a company you have the ability to quickly learn and understand despite a lack of experience.

Security+ - I have seen a lot of people take this back-to-back with Network+ as they tend to share a lot of the same information, so I am thinking I could accomplish this one quickly, but I am curious on if this will help my resume specifically for getting a job.

MCSA Server 2012 R2 - Its a pretty big cert with three tests, but there are a ton of companies with Windows servers (at least that's what I tell myself and use as a justification for this cert)

I keep jumping back and forth between these certs and driving myself crazy trying to decide where to go to next. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could do all three if you had the time. Having said that I'd put Security+ last just because it's rare for people first IT job to be security related, and that's even more so true in your case where you don't have an IT degree.

If you are trying to get a networking position I think it would make sense to prioritize the CCNA over the MCSA. You can come back and pick up the MCSA once you finish the CCNA if you want.

Having said that with no IT degree, experience and just a CCNA it's going to be very hard to land a network admin job. If I were you I would be trying to get in a NOC and build experience and from the NOC aim for a network admin job. The CCNA will give you the best chance to land a NOC job.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So essentially you're not looking for a network admin job, just an entry-level networking job. Like sj4088 said, a NOC environment is what you should be aiming for.

The CCNA is still a really solid cert and shows you know a little about networking. Even if a site uses Juniper or Brocade equipment, the CCNA still helps you. The interfaces may be slightly different but other stuff still is very similar. That and the S+ are solid certs to have. MCSA 2012 is a really good cert also, but I don't think it would be as beneficial as the other certs for networking and it'd take longer too.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Depends on the direction you are heading. If you want to do networking and that's where your passion is, get your CCNA. If you just want to get broad experience and you really don't know which direction you want to go, I'd get the MCSA. Both are solid certifications IMO and will help your career regardless.

I did the same thing you did, i have a BS in a non-it field and had to prove my knowledge with certifications prior to getting my first IT job. Once i got that IT job i worked on more advanced certifications and found what i was passionate about and started focusing on those areas.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA - Network Admin/Engineer roles

Security+ - DoD, security roles

MCSA Server 2012 R2 - Systems Admin roles
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    carbs4evercarbs4ever Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it. It looks like I am leaning toward the CCNA as my best opportunity to jump into the networking field. Time to hit the books!