Options

Has Techexams.net excelled your career?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
I know that this forum is a great mix of people and I learn something about things all the time.

The people and resources mainly have allowed for this special kind of 'edge' on things and this forum's advice has truly help me personally succeed in IT these past few years and I truly feel humbled.

Curious how others feel about this community. icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not only has my salary doubled since I have been a member here but I met my wife xxInfoSecBunny04xx and we are expecting our first child. Love you bae.
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ... I had to do a search to see if xxInfoSecBunny04xx was a real user or not.

I figured you were ribbing us but I have seen stranger things happen. I've had friends from different scenes meet, fall in love, and marry in less less than twelve months.
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^^ Am thinking his "love" has to do with infosec..no?
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im only kidding. This site has really helped out though. Before I actually signed up I lurked for a while. The biggest change for me is that it convinced me to switch from UMASS to WGU. Not to mention this site really has its finger on the pulse of all the important certs.
  • Options
    mamoreno89mamoreno89 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely has helped me - managed to transition into my IT career :)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I joined TE around 5 years ago with an A+ and a desire to move from PC repair into enterprise IT.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm now a sales engineer, building VDI and SBC solutions for the largest organizations in my region. I also increased my annual wage 4x over and picked up the certifications below in the process.

This forum really showed me the path to career development and has been a constant source of support along the way. Many thanks to webmaster and everything that goes into supporting the site.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes. Before joining TE, the only infosec certs I know about is CISSP and Sec+. This forum has been very helpful and has opened my eyes to the various paths in IT career development. icon_thumright.gif

Now where can I find the infosec bunny? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This site reaffirmed what I was already feeling "sometimes you have to have the courage to move on from your current job regardless of the circumstances". I moved on in August to a job with much more potential for advancement, higher pay, and huge challenges. I work with the latest technology available for control systems. Without the advice I read here and other's with similar stories I probably would have just accepted the conditions where I was at.

There is a lot of solid career advice here.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup! I lurked for quite a bit (a year or two) reading various posts before I finally made the plunge to get cert'd up and make an account on here. I think this site really helps with encouragement (both in light of failure and to persevere beyond what you thought was possible) and staying current/up-to-date with all the latest developments in the world of IT certification.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I joined this site 10 years ago when I was more aggressively seeking certifications (I was a member of a handful of other sites as well). I am not as active as I was then, but I continue to come back here specifically because I have found TE to be a great career resource in general. The information sharing, the success stories, requests for advice from novice and experts alike, and the all around mutual respect shown toward one another here is what keeps this place going.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TE hasn't helped me excel in my career, not to say it won't in the future, however the collective wisdom of IT professionals has proven valuable in the sense of which certifications to attain, resume advice, etc. I will say, that it has helped in motivating me to study for and attain certifications especially since others are motivated too. Reading stories of how others reach their goals financially and professionally in their careers makes me want to do better for myself as well.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Almost 8 years after I finished an AAS in IT I was injured in another field. While recovering and unemployed I watched a movie called 'Hoop Dreams' that motivated me to chase my dreams. Immediately after watching it, around midnight, I started googling certificates and this forum showed up, it was a late night. The next day I started studying for the A+, 2 months later I obtained the A+ and was in the final stages of recovery. Roughly 2 months later I obtained my first real IT job. It was the closest one I had interviewed for and also was the lowest paying according to the craigslist ad. When they offered me the job they bumped up the pay. Since then I've basically taken shared responsibility for the entire infrastructure.

I'd say a movie pushed me to take the first step, TE provided the direction. It's been 13 months since I passed the A+ and I'm about to graduate with a BS from WGU after I obtain the Linux+ this week and write a capstone. I feel like I'm moving too fast on certificates, although only the MCSA was earned outside of WGU, and not moving fast enough career wise. I'm kind of an impatient person in general. My long term goal right now is to be in a position I love and above the Roth IRA contributor maximum by 2020. I know I can obtain MCSE, CCIE, or possibly VCDX by then but the experience has to lead me. 2015 has been a long year for me, constant studying but it's almost over.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TE has definitely helped my career progression. Started out in a totally different industry... 3 1/2 years later I work in a NOC, almost doubled my pay, grabbed some certs and a BS degree. Looking forward to completing my CCNP and get a shot in network engineer in the not-so-distant future. Some (actually most) of the members here have great insight and provide great motivation and advice for those who are serious. Here, I've learned that "sometimes you have to move forward to move on", and that "experience is king; certifications only help validate your experience and get you past HR". I'm glad to say I've learned this early in my career and not 10 years down the line.

Nothing but good things to say about TE.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't say for sure if TE has helped my career directly, but ...

Growing up on a farm and living in a small town gave me no peers or anyone that I could work with/have as a mentor regarding getting a 'real' IT job or anything (hell, I knew computers better than my computer instructor in high school after borrowing a few of his books). TE definitely provides a ... 'support group' I guess that has helped me immensely on what options I had/have, how to pursue my goals (both generally and specifically) and providing assistance when I run into roadblocks. It's been pretty invaluable in that regard.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TE gave me the confidence i needed to take the CISSP after hearing all those horror stories. After passing the CISSP, the phone calls kept coming and they still do now. so icon_thumright.gif for TE.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Been a member since I was active duty AF and transitioning into the civilian world. This site has been invaluable.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    This site taught me about WGU and the importance of a CCNA. Over the years I've gone up in salary about 50k. I love TE.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was a lurker long before I joined. When I first found the forums I worked in the purchasing field and was looking to go into IT. I had previously worked as a PC technician, but wanted to be more into the networking side of things. I got the courage to go after my CCNA from members here and the success stories I read. I went from a purchasing role to help desk and now I work with firewalls. I don't think I would be where I am without the forums. The knowledge and inspiration that comes from the members here is awesome.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I havent gotten a new job yet but the wisdom here has been invaluable - ESPECIALLY studying for the CISSP. My God, all the pass threads are incredible.

Also, a big shout out to srabiee the resume tips and ptilsen for the fantastic resume template. TechExams is single handedly responsible for helping me get my resume to tip-top shape.

Oh, and this site showed me WGU and I am 6 classes away from a degree so I really am indebted to this place.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Yes in every way imaginable.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. You guys were there for me when I first decided to get into IT. I've gained career, life/work, and certification. I'm not sure I would be where I am without all of you being willing to help me out.

If you guys love this site, please consider giving a little back to our Webmaster icon_wm.gif: Support TechExams.net
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think so. It's given me the motivation and direction I need and the support group we've got here is really great. Since starting here in 2013 my salary has gone up 39%, I've got a better idea of what I'd like to pursue long term, and techexams has given me the courage to work towards a career path I didn't think I was "smart enough" or knowledgeable enough for. Seeing everyone elses success stories is highly motivational. "If they can do it, then so can I."
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This place has helped me so much. It's the main reason I've hung around here and tried to give back to others that were in my shoes not long ago.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Techexams has been a pretty invaluable resource for me. I seldom post but lurk around the forums and see a lot of insightful advice. The advice and encouragement from committed IT professionals is what makes this site great. Techexams has been like a lighthouse pointing my career in the right direction.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the most useful forums I've ever encountered.
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's another vote in favor of "Yes, this has been a very helpful site." If nothing else it's motivating to see others face the same struggles you do. I really do use TE a lot and got my CCNA lab stack from certificationkits.com which I found through TE. If not for that stack and a lot of great direct and indirect advice I would have struggled more than I have.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say yes! I found you guys shortly into my love affair with Network+ and haven't separated since! I like seeing people who are doing the insane certs (CCIE and the like), and striving to do the same. It gives me a feel for people in the area and what other certifications people accomplish after the ones I finish. You guys motivate me. Thanks!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of direct advice as well as lurking peoples threads has helped me a bit I guess. I've been lazy with certs but my wages have more than doubled since first signing up here. Probably would level up more if I focus on certs like everyone else. Biggest thing I've learned is how to sell myself with resume and interview tips. Reading peoples stories helped me find a career path too.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah it really has. I posted on another forum about how to get into a network admin job before I completed my associate's, and he directed me here where I found out about WGU and tons of other stuff.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    danny069 wrote: »
    TE hasn't helped me excel in my career, not to say it won't in the future, however the collective wisdom of IT professionals has proven valuable in the sense of which certifications to attain, resume advice, etc. I will say, that it has helped in motivating me to study for and attain certifications especially since others are motivated too. Reading stories of how others reach their goals financially and professionally in their careers makes me want to do better for myself as well.

I agree. This part is exactly how i feel.