First lab setup!

bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
I'm super excited. I just got my first set of equipment so I can lab at home and get some hands on experience. I got-
Cisco 1760 Router
Two 2950 Switches
4U mini rack
Geist Rack PDU
[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]
And a TON of test cables. And honestly? I have no clue what to do with any of it. But, I'm going to dive right in and have some fun!

[/FONT]

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Excellent! Enjoy! :D

Do you have a CCNA resource? Network+ doesn't have many practical exercises, which is what you want if you're going to dive into that Cisco CLI.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Not yet, but I will get one.

I wasn't going to go this "big" but some guy had all of it on craigslist for $100. Hard to pass up and I will definitely use it down the line. A friend is going to come over and walk me through how to set everything up.

I get to do a *little* but of Cisco CLI at work, so it would be fun to dive in some more.

Looking forward to the hands on experience Textbook learning is getting..uh...boring.

A+ certified
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds exciting! I remember my first lab setup and how fun and painful it was but once you start learning....the rewards are amazing especially the confidence boost.

Have Fun!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I probably wouldn't bother messing with it until you pass Network+ or at least start studying Cisco.
  • bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't bother messing with it until you pass Network+ or at least start studying Cisco.

No way! I have friends to help and I want toys to play with. ;)

A+ certified
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spoken like a true geek! As my wife would say, welcome to the dork side!!!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me