Options

Practice test results versus what to expect?

TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
So the Odom book bundle I bought came with practice tests. These tests are not as comprehensive as I would like as they lack in-depth lab-type questions and they lack drag-and-drop, but even accounting for those missing I got through 45 multiple-choice questions in about 45 minutes, leaving me 45 minutes theoretically to spare on the complex questions. If I truncate the decimal I got 88%. I plan to review that which I didn't get right to see if I can fix that.

Has anyone else taken these practice tests, and how did they feel they compared to the real thing?

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Odom won't be enough for STP. I read it cover-to-cover twice and STP was my downfall.

Check out this video series at the CCIE level before taking the exam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfup8hRSpEM&list=PLxyr0C_3Ton0y0rwZs3-R8un7-DiNooUm&index=1

Wish I knew about it weeks ago...
  • Options
    Figured it would not be unacceptable to share my insights into what I did get wrong on the practice exam. These are notes-to-self.

1) pay attention to hosts on same switch or switches that are asked to ping each other, especially their addresses or vlans. It might not be obvious that they're in different VLANs or even that one is on a secondary IP network on the same VLAN and thus their traffic would have to traverse the intermediate switches between them and the router that handles this traffic. The difference in the diagram might simply be the CIDR mask indicates separate networks.

2) When a host attempts to connect to a subnet through a router, the ARP request for the IP of the destination will yield the MAC address of the router that the host uses as a gateway in the direction of the networ that the target resides on.

3) Even though HSRP has no load balancing capabilities of its own, multiple load-balancing groups across multiple routers could be interpreted as being HSRP load balancing. Consider how routers handle equal-cost routes across to links, and how two HSRP groups could look like two links.

4) read the answer more carefully so you pick syn, syn/ack, ack instead of going to fast and picking the wrong answer.

5) where corporate networks connect to the Internet, pay attention to the distinction between "hosts" and "all hosts" when there are references to getting to hosts on those corporate networks across the Internet. NAT/PAT are valid solutions in cases where some, but not all hosts can be contacted from outside of those corporate networks.
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Odom won't be enough for STP. I read it cover-to-cover twice and STP was my downfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfup8hRSpEM&list=PLxyr0C_3Ton0y0rwZs3-R8un7-DiNooUm&index=1

I'm sorry, but I really did try to watch that guy's videos, but sitting watching someone struggle just reading from the 3550 command guide was too much. I tried skipping around to find a part that took-off but I couldn't.

If there is a part of his video series that actually gets into the nitty-gritty please point it out, I would love to review material that goes more in-depth than the order of operation of electing a root bridge, then analyzing advertised cost to the root bridge, the Bridge ID (pri/mac) if a tie on the advertised cost, and the advertised port priority if the BID ties, across all of the VLANs if a multiple spanning tree or per-vlan spanning tree environment, working from the root bridge outward...
  • Options
    Took a second practice test. This one had a lot more ICND2 topics on it. I think that the practice exam software made a mistake as it reports the last question as missed when I do not remember the last question (a stupid one about enable password versus enable secret precedence) even being asked, nor do I remember even having had the option to advance to that question when I finished what it called the second to last question.

Anyway, according to the software, with the questionable end to the exam I scraped by with a pass.

Researching what I got wrong, I've come to the following conclusions:

When looking at the number of times an IP packet is encapsulated in ethernet frames as it traverses a routed network, pay attention to the kinds of links on the network, as non-Ethernet links will not encapsulate the packet in an Ethernet frame.

the Network layer of the OSI model defines end-to-end delivery of packets, not the Transport layer.

2960 switches default to switchport mode dynamic auto. To make two 2960 switches negotiate to trunk, at a minimum one end must be set to switchport mode dynamic desirable or switchport mode trunk. (is this different than 2950? could've sworn that 2950 switches negotiated a trunk in the lab without any other config)

When calculating the cost of an OSPF route to a network, do not forget about the cost of the router that touches that network.

(R)
    (R)
    (R)
    4|LAN

^ ^^ ^NOT JUST THIS PART ^ ^^ ^

^^^^^^^^ ALL THIS PART TO LAN ^^^^^^^^

show ip ospf interface
    displays the OSPF Hello Timer Settings.

To see the Frame Relay LMI standard, use show frame-relay lmi (in privileged exec) or show interfaces (in user-exec or privileged exec)

Because HTTP uses TCP, the syn, syn/ack, ack process means that two messages are sent to the web server by the client before the client sends a get request.

to disable frame relay lmi messages use no keepalive.

live and learn...
  • Options
    satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    TWX yes I got that question for VLAN's switch's wrong.It was a very good
    question.Another good question I found on a practice exam was IP addresses
    in the class d range which is multicast and hence cannot be routed onto the
    internet.correct me if I am wrong.

Solved most of the questions on Odom, anyone kindly share some boson questions here.
    please :)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    TWX wrote: »
    Took a second practice test. This one had a lot more ICND2 topics on it. I think that the practice exam software made a mistake as it reports the last question as missed when I do not remember the last question (a stupid one about enable password versus enable secret precedence) even being asked, nor do I remember even having had the option to advance to that question when I finished what it called the second to last question.

Anyway, according to the software, with the questionable end to the exam I scraped by with a pass.

Researching what I got wrong, I've come to the following conclusions:

When looking at the number of times an IP packet is encapsulated in ethernet frames as it traverses a routed network, pay attention to the kinds of links on the network, as non-Ethernet links will not encapsulate the packet in an Ethernet frame.

the Network layer of the OSI model defines end-to-end delivery of packets, not the Transport layer.

2960 switches default to switchport mode dynamic auto. To make two 2960 switches negotiate to trunk, at a minimum one end must be set to switchport mode dynamic desirable or switchport mode trunk. (is this different than 2950? could've sworn that 2950 switches negotiated a trunk in the lab without any other config)

When calculating the cost of an OSPF route to a network, do not forget about the cost of the router that touches that network.

(R)
    (R)
    (R)
    4|LAN

^ ^^ ^NOT JUST THIS PART ^ ^^ ^

^^^^^^^^ ALL THIS PART TO LAN ^^^^^^^^

show ip ospf interface
    displays the OSPF Hello Timer Settings.

To see the Frame Relay LMI standard, use show frame-relay lmi (in privileged exec) or show interfaces (in user-exec or privileged exec)

Because HTTP uses TCP, the syn, syn/ack, ack process means that two messages are sent to the web server by the client before the client sends a get request.

to disable frame relay lmi messages use no keepalive.

live and learn...

Ya I know before watching the CCIE videos I always thought the same but I learn yesterday that when it's 'switchport mode dynamic auto' then the other side needs to be 'switchport mode dynamic desirable' .

Basically I got it mixed up too but after watching the videos it's so much more clear:

auto - you are listening for the port types
    desirable - you are saying what the port type is.

as for 'switchport mode trunk' your hardcoding it.

check out the "Layer 2 07 DTP Dynamic Trunking Protocol" video on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLAltJ80EU&index=9&list=PLxyr0C_3Ton0y0rwZs3-R8un7-DiNooUm
  • Options
    I'll have to check on that. "switchport mode trunk" doesn't disable DTP negotiation, that is handled by "switchport nonegotiate". DTP actually still runs even if an interface is set to access or trunk, it just states during the negotiation process that it is only access or only trunk.

As far as today's practice test, got 42/45 right. software reported 93%. 49 minutes remaining.

Notes to myself:

You idiot, EIGRP does not use areas! The lack of area 0 in the first network statement was just fine! The second network statement both had an extraneous area 0 statement and had a subnet mask instead of a wildcard mask! What are you, some kind of moron?! How did you miss a question that simple but got the hard ones right?!

(there, now that that rant is over)

Bandwidth as set on a serial interface is used by EIGRP to calculate metrics.

When two same-class networks in EIGRP are separated by a different class network, either disasble autosummary on the two routers serving those two networks, or else set the link in between them to use the same class as they use, so autosummarization will work.
  • Options
    shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »

Everything you need to know about STP and it's variants for CCNA is covered in the OCG and the Appendix B that is online.

CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-101 Official Cert Guide

Direct link to Appendix B - http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/cisco/bookreg/9781587143731/9781587143731_APP_B_9_2014.pdf
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    final practice test. 43/45 right. 48 minutes remaining. 95.5%.

Both questions I got wrong were because I didn't read carefully enough.

First question, cable pinouts. in Ethernet, pin 3 never connects to pin 6. DOH! Pin 1 can connect to pin 1 or pin 3. Pin 2 can connect to pin 2 or pin 6. pin 3 can connect to pin 3 or pin 1. pin 6 can connect to pin 6 or pin 2.

Obviously a "rollover cable" for a console cable is another matter.

second question, for calculating OSPF path costs, pay more attention to the speeds on the links, the costs for those speeds (if they deviate from standard, which normally makes 100BaseTX and 1000BaseT cost the same) and be careful to calculate that way.

That's it. Now I have a little over an hour before I test.
  • Options
    Didn't pass. Missed by 50 points, 5%.

I need to study more on first hop router redundancy and on ACLs in particular. I had no categories below 60%, none above 80%. Four at 80%, two at 67%, two at 60%. This friggin' sucks because I can't point to one specific subject in particular that is massively down compared to the others.

My 80% categories were LAN Switching Technologies, IP Routing Technologies, IP Services, and Troubleshooting. My weakest categories were Network Device Security and WAN Technologies. my 67% categories were Operation of IP Data Networks and of IP Addressing (IPv4/IPv6).

I will say this much, Cisco's test procedure itself blows. The UI is still 4:3 while the testing center screens are 16:9, modern functions like the scroll wheel on the mouse don't work, and the resolution of the UI is very low and is antialiased poorly across a much higher resolution monitor, and one cannot put on-screen more than one thing at a time to work off of due to the low resolution. Even the color scheme sucks, looks like something out of the icon I chose for my username. The UI and procedure adds stress to the experience that is not necessary.

I suspect that the types of questions that hurt me the most were those where I was asked to pick the command or commands out of a list to provide the requested result, especially for the WAN technologies and things like the redundant router protocols. I guess I'm going to have to go back to those technologies again even though I've made a point of studying them.

Donno when I'm going to retake. I'm a little pissed off right now.
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Didn't pass. Missed by 50 points, 5%.

I need to study more on first hop router redundancy and on ACLs in particular. I had no categories below 60%, none above 80%. Four at 80%, two at 67%, two at 60%. This friggin' sucks because I can't point to one specific subject in particular that is massively down compared to the others.

My 80% categories were LAN Switching Technologies, IP Routing Technologies, IP Services, and Troubleshooting. My weakest categories were Network Device Security and WAN Technologies. my 67% categories were Operation of IP Data Networks and of IP Addressing (IPv4/IPv6).

I will say this much, Cisco's test procedure itself blows. The UI is still 4:3 while the testing center screens are 16:9, modern functions like the scroll wheel on the mouse don't work, and the resolution of the UI is very low and is antialiased poorly across a much higher resolution monitor, and one cannot put on-screen more than one thing at a time to work off of due to the low resolution. Even the color scheme sucks, looks like something out of the icon I chose for my username. The UI and procedure adds stress to the experience that is not necessary.

I suspect that the types of questions that hurt me the most were those where I was asked to pick the command or commands out of a list to provide the requested result, especially for the WAN technologies and things like the redundant router protocols. I guess I'm going to have to go back to those technologies again even though I've made a point of studying them.

Donno when I'm going to retake. I'm a little pissed off right now.
    Don't give up man. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. At least you know exactly where you need to go back and work on and you're aware of what's coming. Was there anything else wrong at the testing center you went to?

I haven't retaken my test yet and took a week off and feel much more in the position to get back and study mainly because I had two important midterms to study for last week. I understand that some people find it best to immediately go back and keep studying, but I felt that taking a short break helped me to feel better and have more confidence in getting right back into Cisco.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Don't give up man. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened. At least you know exactly where you need to go back and work on and you're aware of what's coming. Was there anything else wrong at the testing center you went to?

I haven't retaken my test yet and took a week off and feel much more in the position to get back and study mainly because I had two important midterms to study for last week. I understand that some people find it best to immediately go back and keep studying, but I felt that taking a short break helped me to feel better and have more confidence in getting right back into Cisco.

The noisy other test-taker in the room wasn't exactly a good thing. He didn't speak but he made more of a racket than he should have.

The testing center, despite having a three-word name, was sorted on the building floor guide under the parent company's four-letter acronym. When one is already a little behind schedule (forgot my earplugs at home, returned for them, then headed to the test center) not being able to find the goddamn company on the tenant directory doesn't exactly give one a warm and fuzzy feeling before going in.

Not sure I want to go back to them when there are other testing centers around.
  • Options
    The noisy other test-taker in the room wasn't exactly a good thing. He didn't speak but he made more of a racket than he should have.

The testing center, despite having a three-word name, was sorted on the building floor guide under the parent company's four-letter acronym. When one is already a little behind schedule (forgot my earplugs at home, returned for them, then headed to the test center) not being able to find the goddamn company on the tenant directory doesn't exactly give one a warm and fuzzy feeling before going in.

Not sure I want to go back to them when there are other testing centers around.
    That might be a good idea, if you can find a decent one that's nearly as close as the one you went to. I liked the one that I chose because of its location and the markers they provided there worked very well too, though I'm thinking about buying my own with a finer tip and seeing if I can bring that to the testing center next week. There wasn't much noise and everything on the computer worked fine as far as the test went for me. The only thing that threw me off was that the building itself didn't look like what I'd expect a testing center to look like and it was on the second floor along with several other businesses in the building so it took me a bit to find it.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Given that there are pens that track motion to electronically record what one has written I would be very surprised if they let you bring in a marker.

What one should bring in, if they'll allow it, is a tissue or paper towel. The whiteboard they gave me was pretty crappy and using skin to erase it didn't work very well. It was basically laminated paper, and it tended to smear rather than erase.
  • Options
    The testing center I went to had tissues right there on the desk I sat at, so I'm not too concerned about having to bring my own, and I also was given laminated paper (I think it was yellow or pink colored from what I remember). I'll double check and call them sometime this week and see if they allow anything else as far as the markers go.

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Given that there are pens that track motion to electronically record what one has written I would be very surprised if they let you bring in a marker.

What one should bring in, if they'll allow it, is a tissue or paper towel. The whiteboard they gave me was pretty crappy and using skin to erase it didn't work very well. It was basically laminated paper, and it tended to smear rather than erase.

My most memorable testing-center encounter was at a little hole-in-the-wall place that literally had "a HOLE in the WALL" in the test room!!
    lol

In addition to that... the dumb@ss proctor would NOT let me write out my notes (on to the laminate thingy) before clicking the "Begin Exam" button.
    And, before you ask: im referring to the pre-test screen, where the vendor gives you 10 minutes to read & accept their "Terms of Service" before clicking the "Begin Exam" button

Yeah.... that was bad.

Moral of the Story:
    Don't leave these things up to chance :]
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As for my original point (which i forgot to make),

Passing an Exam doesn't PROVE much.
    It Only proves that you Know HOW to pass an exam.

Conversely,
    Failing an Exam doesn't PROVE anything either...

Cheer up, my friend :]