Options

Passed but MAN was it Hard!!

Ok, time to get my feedback about the test. Oh, I forgot... I've passed it with 731. Put 1 month of studying for this xp exam (actually 2 if you count the period of procrastinations and little time off). Set up server 2003 server on laptop along with xp on virtual pc. Used three books for this exam: MS Press, Sybex, Obsorne (Ms Press being the lab guide, Sybex for more thorough details, and Osborne for lament explanation); I would rate Sybex as the best but don't rule out as the only one to use since others books provided gaps missing which I have seen on the exam.
Boy was the exam hard!! I would clap those who had passed this exam with high marks on the back because this exam took the wind out of me. Stayed up for 21 hours reviewing, cramming and reading with only 3 hours of sleep in between. Took the test, used up min. without going back to check on the marked questions review it (Is it true that if you left the questions marked on the exam, then the exam is considered incompleted? What does that mean? Do they count toward the exam even though they had been answered and marked? With only a min. left to go, I went back to those mark questions and uncheck them just to make sure they are counted on the exam). Clicked Exam close, and screen showed that I have passed this almost impossible exam by an inch.
As the saying goes: A pass is a pass. I'm off to 70-290 next.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

It doesn't matter whether a question is marked or not. As long as it is answered.
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Thanks. Really? At the last few mins. of the exam, I felt I didn't have time to go back and review those marked questions so I click Exam Closed. I was informed with a warning that leaving those questions marked would make the exam incomplete. So with only a min. left, I went back and uncheck them to make sure they would count....must have been a dozens of them marked..hehe.
    Advice for those taking it soon, make sure you get used to reading long and winded paragraph questions because this exam completely covered with them. I don't know how others adviced about just reading the last few sentences because the first parts counts alot.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Zenboy icon_cool.gif Those marked check boxes are for marking a question for a possible review if you want to change it. You could always change your answers at the end of Microsoft tests. I guess it is your first time taking a Microsoft tests :o Good luck to you on your MCSA/MCSE 2003 studies. I have to finish off 70-292 and 70-296 for the upgrade myself this year icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • Options
    Thanks. That's what I thought too. Anyhow, I feel enough for today. Got to give myself a few days of rest and then start on the 70-290. So you doing update exams, huh? Have this MCSE 2000 certs helps you any with your occupation? I'm currently looking for one after several years off from IT. Hope I could get the server exam next to have better credential on the resume.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    fjdiaziiifjdiaziii Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if you want to follow this as "advice" but it's a habit (haven't figured out good or bad yet) I've picked up taking practice exams. Since I get distracted or bored from reading 2 paragraph questions, I now jump directly to the last paragraph, which is generally shorter and contains the actual question. After I read the question I can either answer it quickly or if more information is required I can go back and read the first paragraph knowing what to look for now. It seems as though these questions are like long algebra word problems, that give you a bunch of useless information and only a clue somewhere in the story.
  • Options
    Claud MurdockClaud Murdock Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, no doubt its a whole nother type of monster compared to the compTIA tests, passed it first run, but on the line like u did. I found that the 2nd chance didnt work when I tried to use it for the voucher, and no one knew at the test centers how to use it. good job though, keep up the good work man!
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. You are an MCP. Keep up the good work.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    Thank you all. My pass was a group effort. Without y'all posting helps and support, I wouldn't have a clue going into the exam. Have been reading all this posts for the almost a years with people passing this exam left and right, gave me the motivation to hang in there and bite the bullet. keep up the support and site, pple!!
  • Options
    fjdiaziiifjdiaziii Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, no doubt its a whole nother type of monster compared to the compTIA tests, passed it first run, but on the line like u did. I found that the 2nd chance didnt work when I tried to use it for the voucher, and no one knew at the test centers how to use it. good job though, keep up the good work man!

Test vouchers don't work for the 2nd chance (as you obviously found out.) Also, you can go here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndchance/ for more information on it. When you register to take the 2nd exam you need to enter this code: 24FREE

Here are the FAQs from the M$ site:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I take the exams at any Microsoft exam delivery provider?

A.

Yes. All Microsoft partner exam delivery providers worldwide are participating in this special limited-time offer.

Q. Do I have to register for this offer before I take my initial exam?

A.

Yes. You must register with Microsoft before you take your initial exam. After you register, you will get a special promotion code. Give this code to your EDP through the provider's Web site or call center upon registering for this offer. It is your responsibility to provide this promotion code to the EDP at the time that you register for your initial exam.

Q. How do I register for the initial exam?

A.

You may register for the initial exam through Microsoft EDP Web sites, call centers, or test center locations.

* Contact Pearson VUE at http://www.vue.com/ms/.
    * Contact Thomson Prometric at http://www.register.prometric.com/.

You must register before your first exam. This offer expires June 30, 2006.

Q. How do I schedule my free second shot exam?

A.

Contact the exam delivery provider's central registration system at http://www.vue.com/contact/ms/ for Pearson VUE or http://www.prometric.com/ContactUs/default.htm for Thomson Prometric to schedule your free retake. If you fail the exam, you should wait at least one business day before you call to schedule your free retake. The call center representative will validate your eligibility to get a free retake. When you call the call center, state that you are taking part in the second shot campaign and have your second shot promotion code ready.

Q. Is the test center call toll-free?

A.

The call is toll-free in some countries. Other countries will require payment for the call. For the Pearson VUE list of call center contact numbers, visit http://www.vue.com/contact/ms/. For the Thomson Prometric call center contact numbers, visit http://www.prometric.com/ContactUs/default.htm.

To top of page

Q. Do I need to call the exam delivery provider's central registration system to accept my initial exam as well?

A.

No. Only the free exam retake must be registered through the EDP central registration system. For all other exam registrations, you may choose to register through the Web sites that were listed earlier on this page, at your test site, or through the EDP's central registration system.

Q. Do I need to take the second shot exam through the same exam delivery provider with whom I took my initial exam?

A.

Yes. You must call the same EDP with whom you took your initial exam to obtain your second shot exam.

Q. How many free exams can I receive?

A.

Each time that you register for a second shot prior to taking your initial exam, you are entitled to retake that exam if you did not pass on your first try during the eligibility period. The eligibility period is February 15, 2006 through July 31, 2006.

Q. What is the time frame where I must take my initial exam and then retake that same exam if I don't pass on the first try?

A.

You must take the initial exam between February 15, 2006 and June 30, 2006. If you don't pass, you may retake the same exam at no additional charge before July 31, 2006.

Q. If I failed an exam prior to February 15, 2006, am I eligible for the second shot offer?

A.

No. But, if you don't pass in subsequent attempts between February 15 and June 30, 2006, you will be eligible for the second shot offer at that time.

Q. If I fail an exam, can I retake it any time?

A.

All retake time frames are subject to compliance with Microsoft Certification exam retake rules. These rules state that if you do not pass an exam the first time, you must wait one business day before retaking your exam, and you must take it before July 31, 2006. If you do not achieve a passing score a second time, you must wait at least 14 days to retake the exam a third time. A 14-day waiting period will be imposed for all subsequent exam retakes. If you have passed an exam, you cannot take it again. Beta exams may be taken only one time.

Q. How can I learn more about Microsoft Certification exam topics and content?

A.

Visit the Microsoft Learning Web site for tips on how to prepare for your exam. Make sure that you thoroughly read the exam preparation guide for the exam that you plan to take.

Q. Is the second shot offer available worldwide?

A.

Yes. This offer is available worldwide.

[/url]