Options

Vcp dcv 6.0

jack84iejack84ie Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All Currently Taken the VCP 6 Course but i don't know are we going into much depth to pass the exam, i was reading other forums and people were giving out that they didn't cover some of the topics that showed up in the Exam..

So that being said

My current study material is the following

Plural-sight finish all of Greg videos the ones that he currently has, am currently going over Storage for a Second time to pick up anything that i missed. might cover over all of them for a Second time while i am waiting for the rest.

CBT-Nuggets VCP 6 for Lab videos
VCP Student Lab Manual

just starting off doing reading VCP6-DCV Study Guide - ESX Virtualization

What else would help me pass this Course ?

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Build and use your own lab :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Have a Nested ESXi Lab on the Work ESXi Host.

plus have a Vlabs supplied by Vmware to complete the Student Lab Manual
  • Options
    greggoindenvergreggoindenver Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just an FYI: I'm aiming for December 18th to have those final three courses finished. The "Manage Virtual Machines" course hit the site last week, and I'm pushing to finish "Backups and Replication" by the end of this week.

/Greg Shields
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Build and use your own lab :)

+1 ...you learn more by having your own...
  • Options
    Aiming to take the Exam middle of Jan.. if the Target of 18th is Hit should give me time to finish the last 3 videos .. Thanks for update
  • Options
    Pass the 2V0-620 Exam today, so aiming to do the 621 in Jan..
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    congrats
    thanks it was harder then what i though it was going to be..
  • Options
    Any one have good Resources for Trouble shooting and vSphere CLI command Structure ?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What exactly is The VCP Student Manual? There's very little reading material for VCP6-DCV. I've been reading Mastering vSphere, hope to finish it tonight, but some topics like storage just aren't explained clear enough for me. I've also looked at veeam's unofficial vcp6 guide which is a brief overview. The VCP5 sybex book is ok and has so far filled in some holes but also isn't very clear with storage. Any other ideas would be helpful.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    jack84ie wrote: »
    Any one have good Resources for Trouble shooting and vSphere CLI command Structure ?
    Jason Nash has quite a few here. It is vSphere 5.x but most are still relevant.
    https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/vmware-vsphere-optimize-scale-pt3/table-of-contents

@Techfiend: Head over to the mylearn.vmware.com and check out this document. It's all there. https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-storage-guide.pdf

Any other documentation regarding any items can be found under their category here: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64180&ui=www_cert
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    What exactly is The VCP Student Manual? There's very little reading material for VCP6-DCV. I've been reading Mastering vSphere, hope to finish it tonight, but some topics like storage just aren't explained clear enough for me. I've also looked at veeam's unofficial vcp6 guide which is a brief overview. The VCP5 sybex book is ok and has so far filled in some holes but also isn't very clear with storage. Any other ideas would be helpful.

The VCP Student Manual is what you get when you do a Official Course you will get the Student Manual and Lab Manual not much in Depth for the ICM course.

i found these to be good Learning guides;

Plural Sight have 11 Modules on the VCP 6 DCV exam each Video Module covers exam Sections on the Exam see more on the link.

http://blog.pluralsight.com/learning-path-vmware-vsphere-6-data-center-virtualization-vcp6-dcv

CBT Nuggets is also one to watch doesn't go into depth as the Pural sight videos but are good for creating a lab along side your plural-sight lab

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/vmware-vsphere-6-vcp6-dcv

I would also cover the CBT Nuggets 5.5 vSphere for the following

Operations Manager, Performance and Troubleshooting and Esxi Shell and CLi

which aren't covered in the 6.0 Vidoes.

Im also starting to cover over the Vmware vSphere Optimize & Scale: on Plural Sight for more depth knowledge on vSphere.
    these are old videos but still good to cover i guess

3 Modules covering this Section

Vmware vSphere Optimize & Scale : Storage & Networking

Vmware vSphere Optimize & Scale : Monitoring & Automation

Vmware vSphere Optimize & Scale : Performance & High Availability
  • Options
    Thanks for the links, I'll definitely read the storage guide. I thought about pluralsight and cbt but I've never had good luck with video or audio. If I fail the first time around I'll definitely pay for them.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Thanks for the links, I'll definitely read the storage guide. I thought about pluralsight and cbt but I've never had good luck with video or audio. If I fail the first time around I'll definitely pay for them.

I don't have an Account with CBT Nuggets but a work friend gave me access to he's account to watch those Videos,

if anything i would definitely pay for Plural-sight 29 a month is well worth it for the videos on VCP..

I do hope this is the way forward with Pluralsight videos on each section of a Course.. just hope they release either the vCloud or DTM course which i have my eye on next.
  • Options
    It's a good deal for pluralsight and I plan on using it if I fail when I take it next week. I talked to a recent VCP6-DCV and he said it was easier than expected. He used mastering vSphere 6 and the vmware online study guides.
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me how relevant is the
    VMWARE v Sphere Trouble-shooting Courses within Plural-sight for VCP6 - DCV the courses were done by david david back in 2011
  • Options
    Passed the VCP6-DCV fairly easily today. I used Mastering vSphere 6, veeam study guide with the links it referred to on vmware's site. I found the test uneven, about half the questions were general and could be solved by reducing the answers. About a quarter was mid-level that I had to really think to figure out the answer. The remaining was basically a guessing game because it wasn't in my material. Luckily there's a very low passing score, which makes it a much easier test. I thought I was going to fail when I pressed submit and was stressing out. It didn't help that the other guy in the room was seemingly very stressed out, he had been there nearly 3 hours.

Mastering vSphere isn't enough to pass I don't think, it doesn't cover some general things very well like permissions. It also dives a lot deeper into storage and networking then is needed. I imagine it could be a decent study guide for more advanced vmware tests as well. The veeam study guide, while a brief summary, covers some general things that mastering vSphere doesn't. These two materials are enough but if your'e relatively new to vCenter, like me, and don't want to be overwhelmed you might want to wait for the official guides coming in May. The mastering vSphere book did have some great labs and probably very beneficial in the real world.
  • Options
    Well Done on the Pass ! was there much troubleshooting in the Exam ?
  • Options
    Thanks! Not really, maybe 10/85 were troubleshooting, lots of configuration. One thing that caught me off guard was all the advanced setting questions, most of those I didn't see in the study material.

Compared to the difficulty of other tests I've taken. I'd put it with 70-410, Linux+ and CCNA Security. Definitely more difficult then other comptia's I have, CCENT and 74-409. Not quite as difficult as CCNA and light years away from 70-411.
  • Options
    lot of Configuration questions... cool, i need to finish off my study and aiming to take the exam, i have 1 section left to cover the Trouble shooting.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□