Options

CISSP Study Journal

clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently decided to move forward and actually study for (and take) the CISSP exam. Since deciding to do something and actually following through with action are two different things, I wanted to keep myself motivated with a study journal. I’ve noticed several other people have done this before in this subform, so hopefully I’m not breaking any rules…

I started studying on November 19th using the 10 domain format. Due to my work load, upcoming holidays, and personal study habits, I scheduled the test for February 27, 2016 right after I complete a Training Camp class.

Being a complete nerd, I identified my study materials (from success stories on this forum), the estimated time to complete them, and then created a project file to make sure I could cover the materials I wanted to in the time I have.

I have 16 years’ experience in IT, with over ten years’ experience working with security; however, I learned a long time ago not to underestimate what I don’t know. To quote someone else on the forum, “if anyone wants to comment their experiences here as well or offer words of wisdom, I'm all ears!”

icon_study.gif
Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F

Comments

• Options
    sydneysundarsydneysundar Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the very best. What are your study sources? What's the study plan?

I have been on and off on CISSP .. never really got disciplined to follow a scheduled plan. Recently i took notes of the chapters I read. Microsoft CISSP Training kit.. from the forums i gather that Cloud computing, Security assessment (new areas) are focussed in the exam.

share your notes.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is my plan to move me through the 10 Domain organization of the test. I have completed this for the Access Control domain and am close to finishing up the Telecommunications domain:

· Read Conrad 2E chapter, highlight sections I’m not familiar with
    · Make study cards on Brainscape.com
    · Daily take a 20 question quiz on FreePracticeTest.org
    · Run through Brainscape cards until I have close to 100% memorized
    · Watch CBTNuggets videos (while working on Brainscape cards)
    · Watch Cybrary videos (while working on Brainscape cards)
    · Listen to Shon Harris MP3s in car (and previous Cybrary lessons)
    · Make physical index cards for special topics that are near and dear to my heart…
    · Take a 50-question quiz from Transcender
    · Do nothing on Sundays related to this material

My plan is once I finish this for the 10 domains, I am going to watch the Larry Greenblatt videos and take the Training Camp videos they have as a prerequisite for their class. I’m also going to pick up the Conrad 3E book when it comes out and skim that for new material. My intention is to go to the class and use it as a focus area for the things I’m still not solid on. I will increase my question amounts as I move further in.

I freely admit that I generally over study and over plan for these things, but first, I’m doing this not just to pass a test, and second, it’s who I am so I’d rather embrace it than fight against it. I’ll be interested to see how I change this as I move further along and test time gets closer.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is my plan to move me through the 10 Domain organization of the test. I have completed this for the Access Control domain and am close to finishing up the Telecommunications domain:

· Read Conrad 2E chapter, highlight sections I’m not familiar with
    · Make study cards on Brainscape.com
    · Daily take a 20 question quiz on FreePracticeTest.org
    · Run through Brainscape cards until I have close to 100% memorized
    · Watch CBTNuggets videos (while working on Brainscape cards)
    · Watch Cybrary videos (while working on Brainscape cards)
    · Listen to Shon Harris MP3s in car (and previous Cybrary lessons)
    · Make physical index cards for special topics that are near and dear to my heart…
    · Take a 50-question quiz from Transcender
    · Do nothing on Sundays related to this material

My plan is once I finish this for the 10 domains, I am going to watch the Larry Greenblatt videos and take the Training Camp videos they have as a prerequisite for their class. I’m also going to pick up the Conrad 3E book when it comes out and skim that for new material. My intention is to go to the class and use it as a focus area for the things I’m still not solid on. I will increase my question amounts as I move further in.

I freely admit that I generally over study and over plan for these things, but first, I’m doing this not just to pass a test, and second, it’s who I am so I’d rather embrace it than fight against it. I’ll be interested to see how I change this as I move further along and test time gets closer.

Just FYI, the 10 domains have been re-organized into an 8 domain structure.