Options

Micronics Zero to Hero Security Course

Comments

• Options
    cbthutcbthut Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a follow up question about this zero to hero class. For those who have taken the class, when you compare the new security v5 blueprint, does this class serve as a prep class without having to go take another class, provided you do your own lab prep supplement?

Thanks.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi. Regarding the Security 0-hero class, would you say it's more lab preparation or writtem? And what version are they focusing on, v4 (for people trying to wrap things up before January) or v5?
    I'm thinking about doing the Sec v4 written, but I won't have time to pass the v4 lab before hey change to all the new technology for v5.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    v5 and lab prep more than written prep.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    bookbook Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Iristheangel,

You wrote before that you got these ebook:
    Mastering ASA Firewall (349 Pages)
    Cisco Firepower Workbook (114 Pages)
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 1 (1029 Pages)
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 2 (409 Pages)
    Micronic's CCIE Security v4 Lab Workbook Vol 3 (507 Pages)

Also, each of them you come through during these 4 months of course?
  • Options
    fumanchufumanchu Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi broli, kreken and Nelson;

Could you provide feedback on the course? Was it good as you expected? Do you think it has prepared you for V5?

Thanks
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    We will have only our third class tomorrow so not a lot of time have passed yet to form an opinion.
  • Options
    CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thing to be aware of is that each class is recorded so even if your wife isn't a fan of you waking up early every Saturday, you could be watching the recording any time of the week

This course looks amazing. I'm really considering it for 2017. I'll have to self fund. Not sure i can make 16 straight saturdays. Would you know how soon the recording is available after each saturday class runs?
  • Options
    Kreken wrote: »
    We will have only our third class tomorrow so not a lot of time have passed yet to form an opinion.

Hi Kreken,

Now, Can you write something more about context of that course?
  • Options
    Recording is usually available within minutes after the class ends.

I have payed for the class out of my own pocket and have absolutely no regrets. Easily the best spent money on my education in the last few years.

Even though the class is named Zero to Hero, I think the least certified people in there are CCNPs and half of the class already have CCIE's in other tracks.
  • Options
    I'm going through the course as well. We started VPNs this week, and the instructor presented the complex material in a thorough and clear way that made it understandable. He is able to go between the academic theory & real world implementation smoothly. After 5-6 weeks and covering several subjects it's clear that he knows his stuff.
  • Options
    Recording is usually available within minutes after the class ends.

I have payed for the class out of my own pocket and have absolutely no regrets. Easily the best spent money on my education in the last few years.

Even though the class is named Zero to Hero, I think the least certified people in there are CCNPs and half of the class already have CCIE's in other tracks.

Thanks Kreken, that's really good to know. The least certified are CCNP Security, you'd say? I only have CCNA Security and CCNP R&S. Maybe I should wait until I finish the CCNP Security before considering this?

Thanks to Mbarrett too.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

So is it not really good for folks at the Zero end of the spectrum?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    It's not a requirement to have CCNP:S but I think it would be beneficial to have that knowledge level or similar experience to get the most of the class. A lot of people are taking this class as part of the preparation for the lab exam. The topics mirror lab blueprint except a deviation or two. But, regardless, even if you don't plan to get CCIE, this will make you a much better engineer.
  • Options
    The stated prerequisites are a CCNA. I forget if they said CCNA R&S, or just any CCNA. But a good knowledge of troubleshooting, working with multiple devices in a network environment seems to be the main thing. Having an existing CCNP Security won't really help you get though the class, in fact it's the opposite - if you are wanting to get your CCNP Security you will be well served by taking this class.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, current plan is CCNP Security. I'm hoping to take 300-206 within the next few weeks. I was hoping to take and pass 300-206 and 300-207 by December 31
  • Options
    One more question. I'm assuming the recording of the webex for each class is one long recording, as opposed to being broken out into sections. Is that a correct assumption?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's correct - one long recording.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I called today, there are spots still available. This class does look really good. Does it look $3900 out of my own pocket good, I'm not sure yet.
  • Options
    Hello Kreken, Nelson and other participants,

Can you write, which books had you got from Janet or Piotr before that course?
  • Options
    deshimandeshiman Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm really interested in this class. Does Micronics offer sale or special pricing, like INE and IPX?
  • Options
    No special pricing. It's pretty cheap for what you get though
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That pricing for 16 weeks of training and unlimited rack rental usage during that time is a steal IMO. If I was still working with security I would've taken that course.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone taking the one starting end of January? Ill be on
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    Anyone taking the one starting end of January? Ill be on

I'm still debating it. Not really sure yet
  • Options
    I think koz may possibly be taking it too or he's working on it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Btw, this reminds me that I need to update my CCIE thread. I have some good notes that can help you folks out on tshooting ftd from the cli and ISE 2.1
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Yeah that would be a huge help for sure...

Iris did you go for any of the security certs after this training?

I'm hoping that this training will be a good refresher to pass the CCNP Sec and then lead in to Narbiks CCIE Sec bootcamp.

All my job has been lately is ASAs, ISE, and Firepower deployments.

And my employer is going to hope that I go for the CCIE after coughing up all those learning credits/cash.
  • Options
    I'm working on CCIE Security right now
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Are you skipping over CCNP Sec? I was looking into that as an option as well.
  • Options
    Completely skipping. It hasn't been updated in almost 4+ years and the new ccie security is way more fun
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931