Options

Next Certification Ideas?

TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
I find the discussion on the next certification gets more interesting the further into a career one gets.

Any ideas on what I should go for next? OS cert to round out things? Something not too crazy like Project+? I am thinking next year I will go through OSCP again...kind of got sidetracked with time. The goal is InfoSec Management (hence why I said Project+) but any suggestions / reasonings are welcome.

Passed:
-CISSP
-C|EH
-CCNA:Security
-CCNA:R&S
-Security+
-Network+

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for the CISM, it is well recognized for IT Security Management.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Infosec management certs are GSEC, GISP, CISSP, CRISC/CISA, CISM. If you do not have the experience requirements, you can take up GIAC certs until you gain enough experience for CISSP.

I had wrote lengthy information on my site since I had repeated these so many times. Its easier for my to refer you to these links than repeating myself.

Career Certification Path ~ GravitySec[dot]com
    Self Study for GIAC ~ GravitySec[dot]com
    Challenge the GIAC Exam ~ GravitySec[dot]com
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Project management skills are very useful in management. PMP/CAPM, Prince2, Agile, Scrum Master, there's a few to choose from. The CISM is useful, but not sure how much value it would add to CISSP, it would probably depend on what experience you have already.

If you seriously want management, then a Master's degree in management related area is good. IT Management, Info Sec, MBA.

Where are you in your career?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I actually have a BS in Business and an MS in InfoSec...so I am probably not in need of an additional degree.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I actually have a BS in Business and an MS in InfoSec...so I am probably not in need of an additional degree.

No, probably not :).

The reason I ask about where you are at career wise, is that the PM stuff is a big deal in that kind of middle management, team lead type role, but if you are already there and kicking it, then maybe the CISM/CCISO type certs are a better fit for now.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So sorry that I didn't see you had passed CISSP. The common route after CISSP would be CRISC/CISA, followed by CISM. That is all the certs you required with compliance work. GSLC is pretty solid too, though that is optional.