Options

Officially CISSP

jasonperry10jasonperry10 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got confirmation today via email that I have been approved and I'm CISSP certified. I passed the test on October 7th, submitted my paperwork about 1.5 weeks later (I didn't have an endorser, so my boss typed up a verification letter with all my job duties). I was approved today (November 12th).
Now I'm thinking of taking the CEH exam and then taking some time to relax and get caught up on some Fallout 4 and Metal Gear Solid V.

Comments

• Options
    ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thanks for the post!

I was wondering about turnaround time. Passed and submitted on the 27th, so it looks like I'm still about a week away... the wait is a killer!

I was thinking about doing CEH as well. Any particular study material you're looking at?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And thanks for the write up of what you did to get endorsed. It helps me out a lot because I may not have an endorser either (since my professor is super busy) Good luck on your CEH!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gz and goodluck on your CEH!
  • Options
    ougijoe wrote: »
    Congrats, and thanks for the post!

I was wondering about turnaround time. Passed and submitted on the 27th, so it looks like I'm still about a week away... the wait is a killer!

I was thinking about doing CEH as well. Any particular study material you're looking at?

So far I've just been looking at ethical hacking and penetration testing cybrary videos. I plan on looking into Matt Walker's AIO book. I'm not really sure how to study for it yet. Just info gathering really. What study materials are you thinking of looking at for the CEH?
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! And thanks for the write up of what you did to get endorsed. It helps me out a lot because I may not have an endorser either (since my professor is super busy) Good luck on your CEH!

i listed all the domains I had experience in and the amount of years in each domain. I had my current employer and previous employer type up my job duties as they pertain to the CISSP domains. The letter was typed on company letter head, signed and included the years I worked for the company. I don't think isc2 contacted my employers due to the comprehensive job descriptions each employer provided. I also shaved a year off my experience requirements by providing proof of my sec+. I also provided isc2 with a copy of my Masters in IT Cybersecurity degree and additional training records showing my IAO / CSL experience. That was probably all overkill but I wanted to show all experience I had.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! CEH will be a cakewalk... just memorize some command line switches and you will have no trouble.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So far I've just been looking at ethical hacking and penetration testing cybrary videos. I plan on looking into Matt Walker's AIO book. I'm not really sure how to study for it yet. Just info gathering really. What study materials are you thinking of looking at for the CEH?

Just videos so far, really. Both Cybrary and CBTNuggets. I'm still in the "cool down" period after the test, so I haven't spent much time on it yet!
  • Options
    kiamkiam Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!:D
  • Options
    barmanbarman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i listed all the domains I had experience in and the amount of years in each domain. I had my current employer and previous employer type up my job duties as they pertain to the CISSP domains. The letter was typed on company letter head, signed and included the years I worked for the company. I don't think isc2 contacted my employers due to the comprehensive job descriptions each employer provided. I also shaved a year off my experience requirements by providing proof of my sec+. I also provided isc2 with a copy of my Masters in IT Cybersecurity degree and additional training records showing my IAO / CSL experience. That was probably all overkill but I wanted to show all experience I had.

Regarding your domains experience and satisfying the endorsement - do they require that each domain will have its own years of experience, or some domains can be combined together regarding years of experience? (for example - domain 2 and 4, each should have 3 years of experience so you have 6 years of experience in total, or you can discuss domain 2 and 4 done in 3 years and that would satisfy them?)

Thanks for your answers and info.
  • Options
    barman wrote: »
    Regarding your domains experience and satisfying the endorsement - do they require that each domain will have its own years of experience, or some domains can be combined together regarding years of experience? (for example - domain 2 and 4, each should have 3 years of experience so you have 6 years of experience in total, or you can discuss domain 2 and 4 done in 3 years and that would satisfy them?)

Thanks for your answers and info.

They make you split each domain up totaling the number of time you spent at the job. For example, if I worked at my current job five years with that job giving me experience in domains 2 and 4. I can't claim 5 years in domain 2 and 5 years in domain 4, to equal 10 years experience. I would have to say I had 2.5 years in domain 2 and 2.5 in domain 4 to equal 5 years total experience. If you have more experience in say, domain 2 you could put 4 years and 1 year for domain 4.

It's kind of confusing at first, but do you follow what I'm saying?
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They make you split each domain up totaling the number of time you spent at the job. For example, if I worked at my current job five years with that job giving me experience in domains 2 and 4. I can't claim 5 years in domain 2 and 5 years in domain 4, to equal 10 years experience. I would have to say I had 2.5 years in domain 2 and 2.5 in domain 4 to equal 5 years total experience. If you have more experience in say, domain 2 you could put 4 years and 1 year for domain 4.

WTF this is harder than the rubix cube icon_wink.gif
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options

Yes, I do follow. So I have a following question. In ISC2 site it states that "Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years cumulative paid full-time work experience in two or more of the 8 domains".
    Does it mean that you should have 5 years on EACH one of the domains (so that makes it 10 years of experience in total, at least), or in 2 domains in 5 years (so also, let's say, 4.5 years in domain 2 and 0.5 year of experience in domain 4 count as a requirement)?

Thanks.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    TechGuru80 is correct 5 years total
  • Options
    TechGuru80 is correct 5 years total

So if I have real experience in domain X and domain Y in years (might be part of an year, there's no minimum but it can't be zero months), the (in)equation should be X+Y>=5?

Cool, thanks for the useful information. :)
  • Options
    barman wrote: »
    So if I have real experience in domain X and domain Y in years (might be part of an year, there's no minimum but it can't be zero months), the (in)equation should be X+Y>=5?

Cool, thanks for the useful information. :)

yes. That's correct. Glad I could help