Options

Anyone done the vSphere Optimize and Scale course?

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
Getting toward the end of the year, and I hadn't done my budgeted training yet, so I picked this course being as I haven't done any VMware courses in a while. I did the Troubleshooting course several years ago and thought it was solid.
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    YOU don't need to go through this course, from what I know about you mate - you already know what's going to be taught. If you do need a refresher on these VCAP level topics or have to spend the budget go do it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A guy at work took this just to be eligible to get his VCP. He wasn't overly impressed as I recall.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I fell asleep during that course. I don't get who should take anything away from it for day to day work. Essentially it goes through all the options of individual vSphere components. Think distributed switch. What are the load balance options, scale options and so on. Don't get me wrong, I remember there was an hour or two I enjoyed but that is it. If your company is partner then I am sure you will find several VTSP in partner central which cover the same stuff and more and it is free.

If you got budget to burn, I'd look at stuff you might be able to use in the future. Think NSX, vRealize Operations etc. - you'll get more bang for your buck there.

Thankfully we got the course for free (PSO boot camp), but paying for it ? Hell no
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I found the videos online and i wasn't really impressed. I knew more about Optimization from work and the home-lab by tinkering.
  • Options
    My problem is that I can't get approved for training that isn't directly related to things that we do not have implemented or plan to implement. Our current management has not bought into the whole SDDC thing, and our network guys are stuck back in 1995... "networking" is physical appliance, period. They had just about given up on vSphere completely until I showed up and cleaned up their half-assed implementation. I am going to be rolling out vSphere 6 in the next several months, but do not want an ICM course. The O&S course I figured might be a good segue into VCAP stuff for v6, which is why I was considering it.

Anyway, I would love to go to a vRealize course but couldn't sell my current manager on it (we only have the basic entitlement you get with vCloud Standard, and I haven't gotten the chance to implement it), I have already gone through all the NAS and SAN training for the gear we have in production, and I am not about to sit through another boring Microsoft course. I can personally justify Linux training, but since we are getting ready to hire a dedicated Linux person, that got shot down. I don't know what I'll end up doing. I had a chance to go to EMC World this year for my training and turned it down. Kicking myself over that one...

This shouldn't be a problem for much longer, getting a new manager soon because of how behind the curve we are on cloud and DR/BC, and that should open up some opportunities to branch out I think.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    What about the design course then?
  • Options
    They don't have the "design workshop" for v6 listed. There is a "Design and Deploy" Fast Track, but it is one of those 5 day extended day courses, and it is too expensive.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    Guess not much you can do but 'enjoy' the OS course :p
  • Options
    yeah... :)

At least I'll get to visit with one of my long lost buddies while I'm out training. Looking at the bright side. It's been so long since I've actually done VMware training that I'll probably get more out of it than some would.
    IT guy since 12/00