Options

completely re-did home-lab...again...

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Today from 5 am till right now I literally tore apart the whole lab and start fresh. Just got done with the lab.

It's now maes up 7 OSPF Area's with 4 seperate STP tree's and one of them being a PVST+ tree, got carried away with the wiring andran out of time mounting the 2960G's. I have to move the vCenter Appliance and make it flat in order for me to rack the 4 2960G's.

I spent more time than I wanted too on wiring but i like thing neat and tidy, and I kind of ram out of 1/2/3 footer Cat5e's so I need to order more or just order a box of cable and make my own.

my goal of this today was one to make the network larger with al lthe new toys and get tons of STP and Multi-area labbing and troubleshooting in prepration of the ICDN2 2nd attempt.

Will be doing more tomorrw and next weekend. icon_smile.gif

Also update the blog with a frequently used task that perhaps will help others out, erasing flash and copying from TFTP:

http://g15it.com/upgrading-cisco-ios-on-a-catalyst-3750g-l3-switch/

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about something new? Frame Relay with P to P. Put OSPF on each spoke. And create a map statement so you can ping the local interface.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    How about something new? Frame Relay with P to P. Put OSPF on each spoke. And create a map statement so you can ping the local interface.

Done, the FR switch is P to P, only can have three FR networks though, the 2600's only have slots for 3 networks and I'm using three networks, 1 is multipoint and the other two are PTP.

However the point of blowing away the lab was to re-do FR, even though i didn't need too....

I may ultimately get another 2811 just for more serial ports.
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you need to do something advanced with your 2600s and here's no room on the flash for the IOS you need it's possible to net-boot via TFTP those routers. It's a bit of a pain but if you need to play with IPv6 and OSPF on non-XM models it's necessary. It'll also let you play with HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.
  • Options
    TWX wrote: »
    If you need to do something advanced with your 2600s and here's no room on the flash for the IOS you need it's possible to net-boot via TFTP those routers. It's a bit of a pain but if you need to play with IPv6 and OSPF on non-XM models it's necessary. It'll also let you play with HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.

2600's are only for FR and remote location networks (spoke) in the lab, the (2) 2821's are in the (hub) core part of the network @ Area 0 which are using GLBP, and I'm using (2) 2811's as a DR site location using HSRP for a vCloud Director network on the opposite side of the multipoint FR circuit that I'm using to mimic VMware SRM.

I so far got about 18 switches and router in the home-lab. :) - overkill, most defeintly but these visuals helps me thinking of ways to build out a network and I use them at work to better design the infrastructure. All the thought goes into the lab and the professional one-timer builds hapen at work. They think I'm a god. icon_razz.gif

Now if only I could get past the theory and pass the ICDN2.

Deep into VMware and Cisco is my game plan for the next two years...