Options

640-554 exam next week. Any warnings?

OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
I've booked in my CCNA Security exam, despite not being ready, since the November 30 deadline is rushing at me. I am hoping to have enough time to prepare. I am using the FLG and the Bulldog videos on Udemy.
I have done the CCNA R+S previously, and have Security+ (and a bit more besides).

I have heard that the 640-554 was revised recently (October?) and some have said that the change has made the exam too difficult.

Is there anything I should pay particular attention to? Any recommended extra resources?
2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM

Comments

• Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I'll be retaking it before the November 30th cutoff.

The only thing I can say is know your CCP. Lab it, practice it.

It's a hard test with that cutoff 895/1000.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another vote for knowing CCP in and out. It's highly tested on the exam. ;)

Good luck
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Any particular version of CCP? The videos I am watching deal with 2.8, but I see there is also CCP "express" 3.0.
  • Options
    eddie174eddie174 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the 640-554 today. I would say know how to navigate CCP. The rest of the questions are given and you can find them online if you search hard enough. If you cannot navigate and don't feel comfortable working with CCP you will not pass. I received a 912/1000 and after looking at the area's I was weak in, it was CCP that got me through. Heck I only got a 44% in the VPN section.
  • Options
    Congratulations! But which version of CCP? Does it matter?
  • Options
    Just CCP, not CCP express
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The OCG Press book has the CD that comes with it. There are pdf's included on it that are CCNP Security material and they are tested on.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I may be wrong but I felt everything was covered in the OCG but SPAN. I didn't like the CBT nugget, so I used Chris Bryant in Udemy. He went over SPAN and all topics needed to pass. I then bought the Boson practice labs for 640-554 to get CCP exposure on real equipment.
  • Options
    Its covered in the CCNP Security IPS 642-627 on the pdf's on the cd along with Smart tunnels default timeouts for TACACS, promiscuous IPS and some CSM topics. I'm surprised you passed without knowing those topics. The out of blue print topics were discussed heavily at the boot camp I attended because of the high failure rate of the recent exam.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Those items were discussed by Chris Bryant..I had just taken SECURITY + and the generic versions(non-Cisco ) of those topics were covered in LABSIM, so what I didn't know after reviewing and going over the newest Cisco test guide right before the test, I looked up. I really didn't think the test was super challenging but obviously with only a 44% in the VPN section something didn't sink in.
  • Options
    I would have to agree with you that the exam was not that difficult. The difficult part was what sources to use for study. Cisco needs to at the very least let every potential teat taker know where the material is being sourced from. When I took the 210-260, All the material came from the Cisco boot camp books and slides presented from the Cisco Instructor. Self study would be very challenging with just the Cisco press books and cbt's. Congrats on the pass though!