Options

Time to study/pass 70-680, 70-410, & 70-411?

finger11finger11 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, just came across this very informative site while Google'ing how long it would take to study and pass the 3 exams in the title because I need to become IAT2 Level with OS certification ASAP. It might seem like an odd set of exams but it seems like the easiest path, without having to go to MCITP or MCSA.

So I was wondering how long you think it would take to study and pass all three exams...

In the summer of 2014 I took and passed A+ and Security+ so I have a little bit of test taking experience.

My experience is I've never used Server 2012 (or administered any other version) and only use Windows 7 as a regular user (no setting up domains, etc)

Any help would be appreciated!

-Josh

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It does depend. At an absolute minimum, for someone "good with computers, but no experience with x", you will need 2 weeks of fulltime (40-60 hours) study per exam. That breaks down to 3-4 days of reading, a day of practice testing, and the rest doing hands on exercises. Typically most people, even those with experience will spend longer than that.

The thing to remember is that the 70-680 exam is aimed at people with 12 months experience supporting Windows 7. So, there is an expectation that you have lots of hands on experience with the subject matter being tested.

If you have A+ you might be able to get through 70-680 quicker, since there is a good amount of overlap.

The Windows 2012 exams are much harder. From the MS Site for 70-410:
    "This exam is part one of a series of three exams that test the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment".

Honestly, rather than trying to cram these all into the shortest time possible, I'd suggest taking some time with the 70-680 and see how you go. The 70-685 and 70-686 are good exams for introducing some of the server concepts, whilst still focussing on Windows client. Even if you don't do those exams, reading up on the objectives and trying things out is very worthwhile.

Then set up a Windows 2012r2 server at home, virtualised if you like. Set some simple goals, like setting up a website, or a WSUS server or VPN server, and work through those. Once you are comfortable navigating your way around, then start on the 70-410 objectives. Get hands on experience with everything that will be tested, set up an AD master, set up group policy, set up print and file sharing, set up IPv6. Depending on how much time you spend with it, it might be a few months before you are comfortable for the exam.

The advantage of the slow and steady approach is that you will learn it, understand it, know how things go wrong, and it will stick. So when you are in a job interview situation you will be able to answer questions intelligently.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    It does depend. At an absolute minimum, for someone "good with computers, but no experience with x", you will need 2 weeks of fulltime (40-60 hours) study per exam. That breaks down to 3-4 days of reading, a day of practice testing, and the rest doing hands on exercises. Typically most people, even those with experience will spend longer than that.

The thing to remember is that the 70-680 exam is aimed at people with 12 months experience supporting Windows 7. So, there is an expectation that you have lots of hands on experience with the subject matter being tested.

If you have A+ you might be able to get through 70-680 quicker, since there is a good amount of overlap.

The Windows 2012 exams are much harder. From the MS Site for 70-410:
    "This exam is part one of a series of three exams that test the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment".

Honestly, rather than trying to cram these all into the shortest time possible, I'd suggest taking some time with the 70-680 and see how you go. The 70-685 and 70-686 are good exams for introducing some of the server concepts, whilst still focussing on Windows client. Even if you don't do those exams, reading up on the objectives and trying things out is very worthwhile.

Then set up a Windows 2012r2 server at home, virtualised if you like. Set some simple goals, like setting up a website, or a WSUS server or VPN server, and work through those. Once you are comfortable navigating your way around, then start on the 70-410 objectives. Get hands on experience with everything that will be tested, set up an AD master, set up group policy, set up print and file sharing, set up IPv6. Depending on how much time you spend with it, it might be a few months before you are comfortable for the exam. Then again it seems many companies require the OS cert addition for their positions.

The advantage of the slow and steady approach is that you will learn it, understand it, know how things go wrong, and it will stick. So when you are in a job interview situation you will be able to answer questions intelligently.

Wow, thanks for such a detailed response I really appreciate it. I'll definitely follow what you suggest.

The caveat is that right now I'm in between contracts with my consulting firm and the client whose contract my firm wants me on requires someone with an IAT2 with OS cert, but in all honestly I don't think the OS Cert part is going to help me in this particular position they are looking to fill. So that's why I was inquiring how long it would take to bang these out in as little time as possible.

I do have 40 hours and a bunch of money to play with for training purposes though if you guys suggest trying to find a 2012r2 training course, whether it be in person or online.

I started to bang out Messer's videos today for 70-680. Most book reviews I've read say that since the test/books came out 5 years ago all the new questions over the last 5 years aren't really covered in the original books.
  • Options
    For instance I just came across this (first training site I've visited) http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/dates.asp?pageid=9&catid=184&courseid=17528&country=United+States

An online 5 day course covering Windows Server 2012 installing and configuring. Are these usually successful for the exam taker?
  • Options
    Hmm looks like this board doesn't like URLs...

I tried posting a link to a 5-day online course from Global Knowledge covering Installing and Configuring Windows 2012. Are these worthwhile? My training budget could cover it and could give me what I need for 70-410 and then I can get 70-411 on my own.
  • Options
    finger11 wrote: »
    Hmm looks like this board doesn't like URLs...

I tried posting a link to a 5-day online course from Global Knowledge covering Installing and Configuring Windows 2012. Are these worthwhile? My training budget could cover it and could give me what I need for 70-410 and then I can get 70-411 on my own.

In all honesty my allowed training budget might be able to cover both 70-410 and 70-411 5-day courses. icon_study.gif So thoughts on these?
  • Options
    The training courses are worthwhile, if you have the money, but you would still need to do extra on top of these. I find they work best as either introduction, so you can orient yourself and get an idea of where your weaknesses are for further study, or as intensive bootcamp for when you are basically ready to go.

If you do decide to do training, take one course - do some practice exams (transcender, boson whatever) - and get a sense of where you need to focus your energies. There is also currently a free re-sit for these exams with MS. So you could even try the real thing as a practice run.

There was a refresh of the 410/411/412 exams in 2014 to include 2012r2 material, so most of the study guides also have a 2nd edition from that time covering 2012r2. These are the ones you would want to get.
  • Options
    The training courses are worthwhile, if you have the money, but you would still need to do extra on top of these. I find they work best as either introduction, so you can orient yourself and get an idea of where your weaknesses are for further study, or as intensive bootcamp for when you are basically ready to go.

If you do decide to do training, take one course - do some practice exams (transcender, boson whatever) - and get a sense of where you need to focus your energies. There is also currently a free re-sit for these exams with MS. So you could even try the real thing as a practice run.

There was a refresh of the 410/411/412 exams in 2014 to include 2012r2 material, so most of the study guides also have a 2nd edition from that time covering 2012r2. These are the ones you would want to get.

Great. So I just got confirmation getting the OS cert is more about checking the box than actually absorbing the information, which is unfortunate, but if I want to stay with my firm it looks like a requirement. They want an optimistic timeline when I could pass all three and while I think 6 weeks is a stretch, and probably wouuld be an absolute minimum, I'm not sure it'd be possible.

Microsoft has a bunch of training partners who put on these 5-day courses. Are one or two held in a higher regard by most people?
  • Options
    Microsoft has a bunch of training partners who put on these 5-day courses. Are one or two held in a higher regard by most people?

I couldn't say. I think we might be in different continents, anyway :)

The problem with training quality is that it usually comes down to the trainer you have on the day, and most organisations have good and bad trainers. Word of mouth is probably your best bet, talking to people who have actually done the course with that trainer.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think i do better in a training center or boot camp more hands on then trying to do your own lab and stuff. Don't get me wrong I have studied how to build a lab and it's been great because I have other OS running from it. Some people just need a instructor to learn, and ask questions when problems come up or issue.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Just wanted to give an update that I passed the 70-680 today after about a week of studying. icon_cheers.gif I'm getting some billable work starting tomorrow so I'm not sure how they expect me to study and pass the 70-410/411 in just a couple weeks each, but we'll see. I'm looking to take a 5-day online course for the 70-410 and then studying for the 411 on my own.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What did you use to study and how?
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to give an update that I passed the 70-680 today after about a week of studying. icon_cheers.gif I'm getting some billable work starting tomorrow so I'm not sure how they expect me to study and pass the 70-410/411 in just a couple weeks each, but we'll see. I'm looking to take a 5-day online course for the 70-410 and then studying for the 411 on my own.

Well if you do take the online course don't forget to share the material hahaha I think a lot of users would be very happy icon_lol.gif
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    gncsmith wrote: »
    What did you use to study and how?

I went through Messer's videos then took a **** ton of online practice exams. Anything I got wrong or didn't understand I looked into and took notes. The exam had a lot more of the drag and drop variety of questions instead of multiple choice than I expected.

Currently in day 1 of a 5 day 410 course.
  • Options
    Yeah, I also have been watching Messer's videos and have taken a few of the online practice exams, updating my notes after reviewing why I got something wrong. I took the test back on the 19th but didn't pass. I too got quite a bit more of the drag and drop variety of questions than I expected. I'll continue studying and will retest in a couple of weeks now that the MCSA deadline has passed (today). I've also added the MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit book and the MS Windows Server Administration Essentials book by Tom Carpenter to fill some knowledge gaps.
  • Options
    gncsmith wrote: »
    Yeah, I also have been watching Messer's videos and have taken a few of the online practice exams, updating my notes after reviewing why I got something wrong. I took the test back on the 19th but didn't pass. I too got quite a bit more of the drag and drop variety of questions than I expected. I'll continue studying and will retest in a couple of weeks now that the MCSA deadline has passed (today). I've also added the MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit book and the MS Windows Server Administration Essentials book by Tom Carpenter to fill some knowledge gaps.

Deadline?

It looks like I'm fortunate enough to also be able to use my training funds to purchase the MCSA Transcender practice test bundle. I found a bootcamp that does B1G1F so I got both the 410 and 411 5-day bootcamps under my training budget. This week is 410. In two weeks is 411. Goal is to pass both by the end of the first week on Jan. My heads gonna explode.
  • Options
    Deadline?

Yeah, the MCSA: Win7 Retired on 30 November.

Well, good luck and glad to see you have some training funds; I'm paying out of pocket.
  • Options
    actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deadline?

It looks like I'm fortunate enough to also be able to use my training funds to purchase the MCSA Transcender practice test bundle. I found a bootcamp that does B1G1F so I got both the 410 and 411 5-day bootcamps under my training budget. This week is 410. In two weeks is 411. Goal is to pass both by the end of the first week on Jan. My heads gonna explode.

I just remember looking at my Sybex 410/411/412 book and thinking "There's no way this fits in my brain..."
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sybex book only scratches the surface too, there's a lot involved in MCSA 2012.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    That sybex book only scratches the surface too, there's a lot involved in MCSA 2012.

Yeah, since I decided to take on MS certification this year, this is something I've come to realise. Not all books are created equal, and all books will leave something out.

The Sybex books are more like, "this is a taste to get you started", than comprehensive coverage. They are probably good for people with lots of hands on. The official MS books are quite a bit better. I think the best options is to read more than one (also makes revising a little less tedious), and where you do the exercises, don't just leave the exercise as presented in the book, have a play around, see what other functions you can find.

The more hands on, and breadth of hands on, the easier it all seems.
  • Options
    actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, since I decided to take on MS certification this year, this is something I've come to realise. Not all books are created equal, and all books will leave something out.

The Sybex books are more like, "this is a taste to get you started", than comprehensive coverage. They are probably good for people with lots of hands on. The official MS books are quite a bit better. I think the best options is to read more than one (also makes revising a little less tedious), and where you do the exercises, don't just leave the exercise as presented in the book, have a play around, see what other functions you can find.

The more hands on, and breadth of hands on, the easier it all seems.

I've noticed that in reading the Sybex book. Seems to be pretty good at giving a general idea of the way things work, but the details aren't always covered in depth. I've got another book, can't remember which one it is right now that I've been reading in addition to it. Lab time's been a fun series of problem solving. From DNS issues to installs, I've been having a hell of a time just getting me DC and Core DC to see each other...adding my Windows 8.1 VM to the mix just made it even more fun.