Options

Working in Dubai

dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is anyone here working or know someone who works in Dubai in the IT sector(infosec)? whats is it like working there? Market conditions, working environment, culture etc? Any feedback will be helpful. Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is expensive!

I was there on a work trip last month, check renal cost in Dubai, many people live out of town (in Sharjah) to get cheaper rent but end up spending 1 - 2 hours every day stuck in traffic.

Do you have an offer. if yes how much is it? is housing included etc?
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Worked out there for a week and loved it. Amazing place, I'd go back if I had the chance.

However, I spoke to guys who live and work there full time - expats - it's certainly not all glitz and glamour.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    It is expensive!

I was there on a work trip last month, check renal cost in Dubai, many people live out of town (in Sharjah) to get cheaper rent but end up spending 1 - 2 hours every day stuck in traffic.

Do you have an offer. if yes how much is it? is housing included etc?

whats bahrain like to work in?
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    In Bahrain you often live in a compound (or so I'm told). I worked in Saudi Arabia and while the money was good, I wasn't overly impressed. You're fine in your own compound but outside that it's a whole new world. Their laws are their laws and you follow them or you can get in serious trouble.

Do your research, talk to people with impartial opinions and make sure you like hot weather.
  • Options
    You can not compare Bahrain to Saudi Arabia or UAE

More freedoms for expats (and locals) here, but due to the small size of the Country there are less things to do.

But Bahrain is cheaper to live in than UAE, for me to even think about moving to UAE I will need at least to get an offer 3 times what I am making here.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont have an offer but im exploring the idea of working there... maybe i should take a short holiday there to see what its like.
  • Options
    I think that would be an excellent Idea.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Saying "the money was good" doesn't tell us anything. Use numbers!
  • Options
    Money is a relative thing.

For example if I make 3000 $ per month in Bahrain, pay 500 for rent and have free schools is better than making 6,000 $ per month in UAE but have to pay 1500 for rent, live 1 hour away from work, and pay for schools and travel etc in UAE.

100k US$ per year in Bahrain is a Dream.
    In UAE it is not very much (that is if you want to "Live" there).

on the other hand if your primary target is to kill yourself and save money then you will be fine.