Options

New to Cyber

pjindenverpjindenver Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my undergrad in History and am currently working on my Masters in Cyber Security as well as a certification in Network+. Will I have a tough time finding a job with no real experience in IT even with a Masters degree? What would a starting salary be for someone close to Omaha, NE?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At this point of your career, a Masters really isn't going to help much more than a Bachelor's would, however since it is an IT degree that should definitely help more than a History degree.

With an IT degree and a cert like N+, you should be able to find an entry level job, but it's no guarantee. I would recommend trying to volunteer at a school/church or online and get that under your belt to increase your marketability even further.

As for what your salary would be, I'd look at something like salary.com or glassdoor around companies in your area. Don't expect a ton of money for your first IT job though.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will definitely start on the lower side in regards to salary. I would definitely pair that degree with a nice amount of certifications to show some foundational knowledge.

Another vote for doing non-profit/volunteer for opportunities to make your resume have some extra visibility. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63