FAIL 70-410 Today (FRUSTRATING_)

Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Sorry but I have to vent out how FRUSTRATING this exam is. I have already failed it again so now it's 3 times. What gets me upset is some of the questions I was so lost and the material I read didn't match up with the exam. To top is off some questions had way to many options to pick. I had to scroll down just to review all the options to pick!!!!!. Then I only got 5 powershell command in the whole exam. I got more GPO questions then anything.

I compared my test results on all 3 and it's all over the place. I do know that i need to work on the GPO stuff.

I been studying for the last 2 months and have been doing MeasureUP exam test. I was getting close the 80% for passing. None of the questions or somewhat similar questions showed up on the exam. I know they aren't suppose to give you the questions but i would think something close or similar. It really sucks and i'm disappointed in myself for not passing the exam. at least I have the 2nd chance. Im going to take at least 2 days off from studying then starting other book i have. At least I know what my weak points are again!

I'm really thinking of doing a boot camp for this exam. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. I guess all i could do is get up and brush myself off again! Going to keep using MeasureUP to practice, pluralsight for the video. Going to try using the MCSA 70-410 Cert guide from Pearson IT Cert. (Don Poulton, David Camardella) see how that book good since I bought it couple months back..
2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
2021 - *Security+*
2022 - * Pen Tester*

Comments

• ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    I felt the same way! I also got many questions where it had like 10 options... I got more powershell than anything on mine. I started to read the Sybex all in 1. im taking my 2nd shot in a month
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I won't deny that, it's a tough one. Having witnessed how the difficulty grew since windows 2000 times I can only imagine what's gonna happen when Server 2016 gets released.

I'd say, lab a lot, memorize key concepts like in which order policies get applied (LSDO with exceptions on inheritance and enforcement) how permissions work, GPO security filtering, etc.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan on taking mine in Dec some time. Going to lab as much as possible. You are right this test is tough one. I think that's why you have a lot of people using braindumps to pass this exam. It's just stupid but we will see in a month how I do. @gespenstern damm you have a lot of certs. that's how i want my profile. hahah Like the CEH one .

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely a tough test! When I failed it, I thought there was a lot more Powershell than what I was expecting. Definitely wasn't prepared for that.

Not sure if I'll ever take it again, but I am trying to use Powershell more at work so we'll see. Best of luck on your next attempt!
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    You are right this test is tough one. I think that's why you have a lot of people using braindumps to pass this exam.

Don't worry, they fail on interviews when I ask them similar questions that they would get on exam if they had prepared properly... And you won't fail on the interview, it really matters when you know your sh!t on the interview.

And yeah, Microsoft could have done a better job rotating their questions and punishing testing centers that leak the data... They do, but probably not thoroughly enough as some others, e.g. there are no and there were no valid **** for CISSP, plus (ISC)2 has a HUGE base of questions that rotate all the time. That adds something to cert's credibility...
    My whole thing is MS moves so fast that the books or any material you are using is out of date. Even there books are all out of date for this exam.

Just frustrating on how much you have to remember ...

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    This is getting me extremely scared for the test..
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    It is a bit of a turd. But it can be done, keep at it bud and you'll smash it and it will feel so good that you beat it.

Plug away and you'll get it, I feel I'll be in the same boat for the 411
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have heard some people say that 70-411 and/or 70-412 are easier than this exam, personally I think they get harder and harder. But what about looking into doing one of these first then going back to 70-410? I found that some stuff on 70-410 I didn't actually learn until 70-411
    I was thinking about that but i like doing things in line. I already invested way to much time to move forward to the next one. I'm going to really try this last one again.

This is getting me extremely scared for the test..

Don't get scared because of me. Trust me just study and do labs. For me i take a longer time to learn things and catch up. Some things are easy for me and others are a little hard. If you do study , and lab then you will be fine. Some times we have to fail a couple times before we move forward. at that point you will be very happy you did it right.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    joeswfc wrote: »
    I have heard some people say that 70-411 and/or 70-412 are easier than this exam, personally I think they get harder and harder. But what about looking into doing one of these first then going back to 70-410? I found that some stuff on 70-410 I didn't actually learn until 70-411

I'm really hoping that once I get the foundation from the 410, and the foundation for how to best study in my own way, that I can really start to push through and hopefully knock the 411 and 412 out rather quickly. I nievely thought I could get the 410 studied for in about a month and a half since I was working a bit more with servers at work...but after even taking a practice test on CBT Nuggets, I quickly realized I would need more time, so I moved it from December 4th back to January 15th.
  • ZenMastaZenMasta Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking this test next Saturday I'll report back my results!
  • keogkkeogk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have failed this 5 times. I have gotten close ,690 but that is the best. All over the place with the questions. I have done measure up and Trancender and can pass those mostly because I have them memorized. 1st exam did horrible on AD and Group Policy. Studied up 2nd exam 90 % for GP and Ad but Hyper V dropped to 15% from 90's. I hate this ******* exam.Taking it a 6th time on Wednesday. If I fail I feel I may have to give up. Too many choices and too many Least administrative effort. Those are BS questions. I can't type for crap so is a PS command less administrative effort then using a GUI? Watched every video on CBT nuggets and train Signal, Technet Articles, Practice test. What gets me most annoyed is that if there is no technet for 2012 the 2008R2 technet should be correct answer. Talking to a trainer about disk part which I have seen the exam. FOR 2008 the correct order is create, attach,partition, format, assign. He says for 2012 it is assign then format because after you partition windows will automatically assign the drive letter an prompt to format. Which is right? Would be nice if MS a software company could put out an actual skills measured exam. Put me on a VM give me a list of task to accomplish. No go ******* learn all 14 ways to create a user account and know which way can create but not add a street address and which can rename and which can force the user to stick his finger up his ass on first logon. A lot of my frustration is also Pearson Vue. I study and get prepped take self proctored ( only 2 exam centers usually booked 2 months out local) Feel good during exam. Feel not so good because they will not allow a whiteboard Then something happens with exam and they make me stop. ( Lost camera, lost sound. proctor looses connection). They just stop the exam. No restarting. Nope wait 3-5 days for a support ticket then reschedule and loose all studying and prep. Coworker is saying just use Kathleen pdf ****. But last time I looked at one of them ( win7 exams) I felt the answers given were wrong.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you fail this time, read the training guide and do the labs, read the panek book and try the boson tests. They worked for me but working on 2012 every day at work helped the most.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No question that this test is tough gentlemen (and ladies), but it's do-able! Keep at it! Just think about this: if you send three weeks or three months or six months getting past this test, but once you've accomplished that goal, you'll collect a bonus in experience and be on the road to a certification that will benefit your career and be relevant for the next ten years! Windows Server 2012r2 will be a memory, but you'll likely build on the things that you learn studying for the 410 for years to come!

icon_thumright.gif

That's how I think of it so that I don't go insane, at least!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    techfiend wrote: »
    read the panek book
    Not sure what contributed the most, but I've failed after Panek book and labbing. I passed after Mackin book and labbing.
    Not sure what contributed the most, but I've failed after Panek book and labbing. I passed after Mackin book and labbing.

what labs did u do ?
    ed_003 wrote: »
    what labs did u do ?
    I used my free month with Azure to set up a lab. Basically followed all the topics, such as creating a new forest using powershell, adding servers to domain, playing with new features that 2012 & 2012R2 introduced like SMB 3.0 shares with scale-out etc. Also did some things at work when my free Azure month expired.
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just keep going and don't give up...
    I used my free month with Azure to set up a lab. Basically followed all the topics, such as creating a new forest using powershell, adding servers to domain, playing with new features that 2012 & 2012R2 introduced like SMB 3.0 shares with scale-out etc. Also did some things at work when my free Azure month expired.

NICE! u labed everything in Power-Shell? im using TechNet V.Labs
    Not everything, actually, you also have to be familiar with new server manager dashboard GUI in order to pass the exam. Some forest/domain stuff just can't be done in GUI since dcpromo is gone in 2012 and you have to do it in PS.
    @keogk

yes it's hard and stuff this exam. we will see how it goes again. I tried to send you a pm but I guess I can't.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    keogk wrote: »
    I have failed this 5 times. I have gotten close ,690 but that is the best. All over the place with the questions. I have done measure up and Trancender and can pass those mostly because I have them memorized. 1st exam did horrible on AD and Group Policy. Studied up 2nd exam 90 % for GP and Ad but Hyper V dropped to 15% from 90's. I hate this ******* exam.Taking it a 6th time on Wednesday. If I fail I feel I may have to give up. Too many choices and too many Least administrative effort. Those are BS questions. I can't type for crap so is a PS command less administrative effort then using a GUI? Watched every video on CBT nuggets and train Signal, Technet Articles, Practice test. What gets me most annoyed is that if there is no technet for 2012 the 2008R2 technet should be correct answer. Talking to a trainer about disk part which I have seen the exam. FOR 2008 the correct order is create, attach,partition, format, assign. He says for 2012 it is assign then format because after you partition windows will automatically assign the drive letter an prompt to format. Which is right? Would be nice if MS a software company could put out an actual skills measured exam. Put me on a VM give me a list of task to accomplish. No go ******* learn all 14 ways to create a user account and know which way can create but not add a street address and which can rename and which can force the user to stick his finger up his ass on first logon. A lot of my frustration is also Pearson Vue. I study and get prepped take self proctored ( only 2 exam centers usually booked 2 months out local) Feel good during exam. Feel not so good because they will not allow a whiteboard Then something happens with exam and they make me stop. ( Lost camera, lost sound. proctor looses connection). They just stop the exam. No restarting. Nope wait 3-5 days for a support ticket then reschedule and loose all studying and prep. Coworker is saying just use Kathleen pdf ****. But last time I looked at one of them ( win7 exams) I felt the answers given were wrong.

You will find this with most **** that a lot of the answers are whatever the person answered in the exam, if they passed the answers were put into a ****, meaning that 30% of the questions could be wrong. I find aio********.com a useful website, it is a similar thing to **** with 200 questions. But there is a forum below each question where people can discuss whether the answers are right/what the right answers are.
  • Ekwuruibe MarshalEkwuruibe Marshal Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys to avoid failing why don't u go on this site to study WWW.cybrary.it
    Look up course catalogue tabs and locate windows server2012r2 infrastructure... U need to register to be a student of cybrary
    You could watch all the videos you want but like most users say you have to read and do lab work. I have about 3 weeks to study once again, for my retake of the exam. Right now i'm just about finished with my old book but going to start a new book... i'm going to see if I could finish it in 3 weeks..

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Mighty_blightyMighty_blighty Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keogk wrote: »
    Taking it a 6th time on Wednesday.

Don't mean to rub salt in the wounds but the retake policy says you have to wait a year after failing any exam a fifth time. Not sure it will allow you to take it for a sixth time? You could try it though, it may let you?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/certification-exam-policies.aspx
    A 14-day waiting period is also imposed for the fourth and fifth exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period starts the day of the fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate is then eligible to retake the exam 12 months from that date. To take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission from Microsoft.
    That statement is true, but if he is counting last year test then it would not count. Unless he took all 5 exam this year then they would not let him. Like for me it's the 3rd time taking it but on the site it only shows that I took it twice this year. This will be my 4th time trying tho.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Loiue1277, I bet u when u study from the link I specified u will be forced to to lab work... All materials u need are at or disposal in that link... Cybrary student gives testimonies everyday on the exams they pass using the site.
    I will check out the site, and see if i could learn it for my next exam in a few weeks.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*