Options

Ways to spend tuition reimburstment??

Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am getting $3000 money for certs and training. Already spent $800 on getting certs. I must spend rest of it before next year. Any tips?

I will be getting advance certs but i am not ready for it yet.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How does your home lab look? A new home for VM's goes a long way.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    How does your home lab look? A new home for VM's goes a long way.

i pretty much doubt they will let me use the money for buying new equipment. Its for tranning/certs for which i need to provide them proof after completing it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another suggestion that I would recommend is maybe considering education such as school if you want a Bachelor's/Master's degree at schools such as WGU. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Another suggestion that I would recommend is maybe considering education such as school if you want a Bachelor's/Master's degree at schools such as WGU. ;)

I already got Bachelor...not sure if i wanna go for masters. Even if I do, it will be lot more than 3k. The 3k is for one year..and who knows if i will still be sticking around at my current job after an year.

Are there any online training programs for certs that I must try it? I know there is cbt nuggets but i already have access to it.
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can maybe do a boot camp or something. Are there any other certs you want to work on?
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I 2nd a bootcamp go to a week long bootcamp learning something relevant to your job.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Skynet9 wrote: »
    I already got Bachelor...not sure if i wanna go for masters. Even if I do, it will be lot more than 3k. The 3k is for one year..and who knows if i will still be sticking around at my current job after an year.

Are there any online training programs for certs that I must try it? I know there is cbt nuggets but i already have access to it.

Fair enough :)

You could definitely do boot camps in that case if you wanted to grab a quick cert and gain some new skills. I know there are many available it just depends on where your goals and interests lie. What career path are you looking to specialize into and become a SME. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can pay for my Security + exam lol. would be a great blessing right now I could really use the help. but If I were you I would knock out as many exams as you could. you could maybe take a 2 week vacation and study as hard as you can and see if you could get ready for an exam or two by then. or maybe request a leave of absence from work and use a month to get ready for the exam.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If spending money by year end is a must I suggest something like INE or eLearnsecurity, depending on your area of interest, that lets you pay now and gives you plenty of time to take the course at your own pace.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bootcamps
    Training videos
    Take more cert exams
    Books
    Lab hardware
    License for SecureCRT

All I can think of
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What does your job entail? What do you consider advanced certs? Have you thought about getting some vouchers? Interested in VMWare, you can maybe join Stanly. You might be able to work something out with them so you can pay them this year, get on the wait list, get a VMWare voucher and take the class/exam next year.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If spending money by year end is a must I suggest something like INE or eLearnsecurity, depending on your area of interest, that lets you pay now and gives you plenty of time to take the course at your own pace.

Any way I can pay for MS or cisco or comptia certs in advance and take them later? Maybe thru vouchers or something??
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Bootcamps
    Training videos
    Take more cert exams
    Books
    Lab hardware
    License for SecureCRT

All I can think of

It would have been great to have all that cash and pay for certs later on when I am ready to take them in 2016. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Mow wrote: »
    What does your job entail? What do you consider advanced certs? Have you thought about getting some vouchers? Interested in VMWare, you can maybe join Stanly. You might be able to work something out with them so you can pay them this year, get on the wait list, get a VMWare voucher and take the class/exam next year.

I want to take Sec+, MCSA, CCNP and than finally CISSP. Want to become a network/system admin. Bootcamps are great but i kinda consider them waste of time...i mean learning in a week all that's on something like ccnp, cissp...just not possible.

besides...i got a full time job. what good would be a bootcamp if i won't be able to focus 100% on it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you plan on taking that many certs I'd just buy vouchers. That also forces you to study for them if you need extra motivation. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any way I can pay for MS or cisco or comptia certs in advance and take them later? Maybe thru vouchers or something??

It depends on your local testing centers, but the system is letting me schedule in the Detroit area as far out as I cared to look.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vouchers, books, videos.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

you could do one semester (6 months) of WGU for 3k
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark