Options

Industries You would like to work

dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just a bit curious to know what industry we find most interesting and would like to work for and our reasons. I will start in order of preference.

1. Aviation (I've always like airplanes, plus i would love to fly for free as a perk)
2. Satellites (hmm maybe that's still aviation)
3. Military ( add some more credibility to my CV)
4. Any of the 3 letter agencies.( access to secrets :) )
5. Oil and Gas (Secure job and i will get free petrol to fill up my gas guzzler )
6. Auto Industry ( A shiny new company car would be a great addition to my family)

Industries i've worked in and hated.

1. Banking "Too many thieves in suits"
2. Legal "They work you like a mule low pay"
3. Health "Doctors think they know it all"

Comments

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Worked in 4 of your top 6 list and am still trying to find a place I would "like to work" lol.

I think R&D environments seem to be pretty cool. Always playing with the latest toys and seem to have endless budgets.

If I could just choose one I would prob go with a gov sponsored pen testing team of some sort.
  • Options
    hmm there is no hope for me then!! :)
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hmm there is no hope for me then!! :)

Ha ha I don't want to bum you out! To be honest I have had a lot of fun in most of my jobs. I think that my issue is that I can learn at a really fast pace and once I learn something and master it I am bored again really fast. Most people I work with love their jobs though.

I had the best time in aviation/sat BTW. Awesome people and pretty cool technologies.
  • Options
    TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The quality of a job is entirely dependent on the individual company and even the individual department head. Two companies in the exact same line of work can be vastly different. As an example, Costco and Sam's Club are very similar from the customer's perspective, but Costco pays their employees living wages and many employees will work until retirement with them because of it. Sam's Club as a division of Walmart has similar issues for the employees that Walmart does.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Higher education (at a good school). 100% of people I know who worked at a good higher ed institute who leave want to go back after a few years. Otherwise I'm impartial.
  • Options
    RollTideNDRollTideND Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've worked in an ISP, for a military contractor, and an insurance company.

My ultimate list looks pretty much exactly like yours, especially with aviation at the top. I still want to be a pilot when I grow up. :Dicon_cool.gif

I haven't worked in banking but other friends/contacts/colleagues, especially the ones that work in security, say that's where most of the big money is. However, you'll also work your rear-end off for it.

Great question!
    Earned: BS Mgmt/CIS (Park University), CISSP, GCIH, CEH, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+, CSIS, CIOS, MTA 98-365
    Current: WGU MSCIA - Risk Management, Cyberwarfare, and Cyber Law
    Next Up: WGU MSCIA - Other Courses TBD, CHFI, CCNA R&S
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    One issue with the military is the minimum 8 year commitment. A lot of people do not realize this and don't find out until after they sign the dotted line. Then they realize things like "oh crap, you mean I can't get into any school I want!", "What do you mean I have to deploy?" and "Wait, so I have to deploy and you're making me do patrols or stand around as an MP and not what I signed up for???"

"My recruiter lied to me!"

:)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Higher education (at a good school). 100% of people I know who worked at a good higher ed institute who leave want to go back after a few years. Otherwise I'm impartial.

That might be a decent career. Get tons of time off and a good work/life balance. Probably pays a crap ton too.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've worked for a bank, telco, automobile maker, and school district.

School district was fun because we went to different locations everyday (I like meeting new people). Enjoyed the telco because I was on international teams so I've made contacts in numerous countries (plus I had 5 weeks vacation). The bank is pretty sweet too because I get to touch a lot of technologies.

I am really interested in working for NATO.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »
    I've worked for a bank, telco, automobile maker, and school district.

School district was fun because we went to different locations everyday (I like meeting new people). Enjoyed the telco because I was on international teams so I've made contacts in numerous countries (plus I had 5 weeks vacation).

Worked at a telco myself for 3 years. The team was the smartest bunch of guys i've ever worked with.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    1. University
    2. R+D
    3. small niche IT security made of "characters" who aren't too uptight about the work
    4. somewhere that is doing good work to make the world better, but isn't earnest about it or see it as an excuse to exploit their workers.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    SteveLord wrote: »
    "My recruiter lied to me!"

Isn't that the enlisted man's motto?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I worked in different industries. IT is IT. doing IT in a university or airport, you're still doing IT. If you want to try a new career then try a new career rather than doing IT (same career) in different companies.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I worked in different industries. IT is IT. doing IT in a university or airport, you're still doing IT.

I will disagree, some companies/industries have state of the art technology and processes while others are stucked in 1992.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    True if you're after the technology itself (doing IT work), then pick the company with the technologies you're interested in.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com