Options

IT Student Job Shadow

MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a high school student coming to me today to job shadow. Anyone have any sage advice they wished someone would have given them when they were that age? (Specifically about the IT industry)

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    "Always backup and document before implementing a big change". Student can thank me later.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let them know the importance of education especially while they are young. Tell them the story of how you got to where you are.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Point out to them that the studying never stops.

Technology constantly evolves and new versions of products or entirely new products are a routine part of what we deal with day-by-day, so get used to the fact that you should be seriously considering keeping up to date and repeating certifications every 3-5 years on average.

From a more practical point of view, the most useful advice I would give is "never entirely trust what the user tells you" and "always cover your back".

Oh and the age old advice on not dipping your pen in the company ink is one to be learned through experience, otherwise they miss all the fun part.

thanks
    Iain