Options

OSCP passed...finally.

rabb1erabb1e Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Initially started OSCP cert last November with very little experience with that type of work. Only certifications I have prior to the course are Net+ and Sec+, so my knowledge was pretty limited. I started with 60 days lab time and extended for another 30 before taking the exam March of 2015. Failed that one, and some life events happened so my funds were tied elsewhere before I was able to extend the lab time again. Finally decided to extend this October for 15 days and gave the exam another whirl. Luckily managed to get 4/5 of the same machines the first time around so I had a bit of a head start. Ended up getting 75 points and a year later got my certificate!

For those curious about the exam, I know it's been said before but I'll say it again. Enumerate, enumerate, enumerate! Right when you think you found the way in, enumerate some more. The vulnerabilities can all be found through enumeration, so be thorough! The biggest mistake I made when I first took the exam was I didn't enumerate enough. I would find an open port, and start digging at it only to find out it wasn't correct. HUGE waste of time. Be patient, be thorough.

Comments

• Options
    ivandavidsivandavids Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on your pass! I would like to attempt this cert in the 2nd half of 2016.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! +Rep
  • Options
    ivandavids wrote: »
    congrats on your pass! I would like to attempt this cert in the 2nd half of 2016.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Congrats! +Rep

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rabb1e wrote: »
    Luckily managed to get 4/5 of the same machines the first time around so I had a bit of a head start. Ended up getting 75 points and a year later got my certificate!

Congrats.

You where able to root 4 of the 5 machines the first time you attempted the exam and failed?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IronmanX wrote: »
    Congrats.

You where able to root 4 of the 5 machines the first time you attempted the exam and failed?

No, he failed the first exam, and passed the second time. He rooted 4/5 on his second attempt.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Would love to attempt this in the near future!
  • Options
    ilikeshellsilikeshells Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great work. Persistence usually pays off.
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    No, he failed the first exam, and passed the second time. He rooted 4/5 on his second attempt.

Oh I misread that.
    "Luckily managed to get 4/5 of the same machines the first time around so I had a bit of a head start. "
    4 of the machines in the second exam where the same as what he had on the first exam.

Congrats again.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    IronmanX wrote: »
    Oh I misread that.
    "Luckily managed to get 4/5 of the same machines the first time around so I had a bit of a head start. "
    4 of the machines in the second exam where the same as what he had on the first exam.

Congrats again.

Yup that's it exactly. 4/5 machines were repeat machines. Sorry for the confusion!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice work, congratz! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□