What's the current IOS version on the test?

fmitawapsfmitawaps Posts: 261Banned
I will be taking my CCENT before the end of the year, that is my schedule, at least. What version of Cisco IOS is used on the CCENT (and CCNA R&S) in the exam? ICND1 and ICND2.

At my job, in IT Support, I work with the network administrator a lot, and he was cool enough to clear out the memory and reset to default settings, a 3750 48 port switch for me to practice on, and he put Putty on a laptop for me to use. We just replaced about 40 3750s with 3850s, so we have stacks of 3750s laying around.

The 3750 switch has IOS version 12.2 on it.

Comments

  • DeathmageDeathmage Posts: 2,496Banned
    3750G's? icon_bounce.gif
  • clarsonclarson Posts: 896Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    the test is written for a version 15 of the ios. But, for a switch, 12.2 is good enough to use when studying for the ccna cert. and, we could be more helpful if we knew what ios is installed.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Posts: 261Banned
    No, they are just regular 3750s. There were only a few 3750G's and one 3750X, and the network admin kept those to use for spares.

    Believe me, I would have hauled those 3750's out of there a month ago if I could, the company is real tight and secure and even the network admin doesn't know when they might make a move to get rid of them.

    "We could be more helpful if we knew what version of IOS was installed?" I told you it was 12.2. Are there more identifying things to look for in there? I can look on monday.
  • clarsonclarson Posts: 896Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    something like this:
    c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin or
    c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin
    you want the ipservices version. this version is 12.2-55 the -55 is the last 12.2 release. So, you want close to 55.
  • TWXTWX Posts: 273Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    the test is written for a version 15 of the ios. But, for a switch, 12.2 is good enough to use when studying for the ccna cert. and, we could be more helpful if we knew what ios is installed.


    You sure about that? Numbers like 2950 come to mind and those clearly are not going to run IOS 15...
  • clarsonclarson Posts: 896Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    the test is written for 2960's which do run version 15
  • TWXTWX Posts: 273Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm telling you that's not correct based on my own recent experience.
  • JameswebJamesweb Posts: 144Member
    Hate to tell you but I have two 2950 switches that have IOS 15.1 on them with 256 Dram/64MB Flash on them and it runs perfectly on both.
    TWX wrote: »
    You sure about that? Numbers like 2950 come to mind and those clearly are not going to run IOS 15...
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Posts: 261Banned
    I was thinking of getting a few 3560 24 port switches off of ebay for home lab practice, but I'd like to upgrade them to the version 15 IOS so I have the same thing that is on the CCNA exams.

    How could I go about upgrading them to IOS 15? Where can I get the image from?
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Posts: 552Member
    I would be interested in seeing which version of IOS 15 you have on your 2950's because there was never a version wrote or published for that switch?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • clarsonclarson Posts: 896Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco learning labs for the ccna have 2960 switches and 2900 series routers. That is where the training for all the test topics and where the test questions come from. if you want to study using the exact hardware that cisco does, that is what you need. But, you can learn the topics that will be on the test from lots of different hardware (and cheaper). such as the 2950 switch, it can do 95% of what a 2960 switch can do for a lot less in price. just hope the 5% the 2950 cant do isn't on the test or you remember it from the book.
  • JameswebJamesweb Posts: 144Member
    I apologize on my previous answer about a 2950 switch running IOS 15.1, I was thinking my 1841 routers or at least had them in my mind at the time and I was half asleep when answering before lol. Actually my 2950's only do run IOS 12.2.
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing which version of IOS 15 you have on your 2950's because there was never a version wrote or published for that switch?
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • TWXTWX Posts: 273Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    cisco learning labs for the ccna have 2960 switches and 2900 series routers. That is where the training for all the test topics and where the test questions come from. if you want to study using the exact hardware that cisco does, that is what you need. But, you can learn the topics that will be on the test from lots of different hardware (and cheaper). such as the 2950 switch, it can do 95% of what a 2960 switch can do for a lot less in price. just hope the 5% the 2950 cant do isn't on the test or you remember it from the book.

    Oh, I agree with you. I took the Cisco official one week CCNAX course through a training center and it was all about IOS15, 2960 switches, and 2900-series routers in the on-paper workbooks. I can say though, on the test, nothing IOS-specific called for 15 and I can't recall anything that asked for me to configure interfaces above FastEthernet speeds.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Posts: 1,340Member
    CCNA/CCNP: IOS 15.0* (Routers), IOS 12.2(55)SE (Switches)
    CCIE: IOS 15.4T or IOS XE 3.11S (Routers), IOS 15.0SE (Switches)

    *15.0 is needed for one or two small topics. 12.4T would cover everything else, but given the drop in prices recently, an IOS 15 compatible router is not much more than a 12.4T router at this point.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Posts: 1,340Member
    TWX wrote: »
    Oh, I agree with you. I took the Cisco official one week CCNAX course through a training center and it was all about IOS15, 2960 switches, and 2900-series routers in the on-paper workbooks. I can say though, on the test, nothing IOS-specific called for 15 and I can't recall anything that asked for me to configure interfaces above FastEthernet speeds.

    Some schools seem to run the latest/greatest. A local community college where I was living at the time was running ISR G2 (1900/2900 Series) routers (for their NetAcademy) in 2010, less than a year after they were first released and 3 years before they saw their way onto the CCNA.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Posts: 261Banned
    I checked my 3750 at work today, it showed version 12.2 (44) SE5. All our 3750s and 3560s came with 12.2 (35) on their labels, I guess they were upgraded at some point.

    How can I get IOS 15 to put on a switch if I get a 3560 off of ebay? Preferably for free.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Posts: 1,340Member
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    How can I get IOS 15 to put on a switch if I get a 3560 off of ebay? Preferably for free.

    You can download any of the IP Base images (for Switches) directly from Cisco. As for IP Services, look for --

    12.2(55)SE6 -- https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=278546112&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE6&rellifecycle=ED

    15.0(2)SE2 -- https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282526410&flowid=2542&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SE2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

    When looking for IOS 15, you will need to select the 3560V2 rather than the 3560 as Cisco doesn't officially support IOS 15 on the 3560. That said, both use the same IOS and it will work fine as long as the 3560 has 32 MB of Flash.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
Sign In or Register to comment.