Options

cissp book recommendation

henders254henders254 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have over 12+ years of Linux administration experience and used a lot of tools vuln. assessment/ pen-testing. I'd like to sit for CISSP, become an associate and move into infosec. Wondering which book should I buy. I've learned that Shon Harris passed away and the 6th edition of her book covers 10 domains rather than the 8 that the exam now requires. As I'm paying things out of my own pocket, I only have budget for one book.

I have gathered some online material references that I'll go through as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do a search for "passed" threads on the forum. Get the official book or Eric conrad's.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look into the experience requirements as well. Depending on what you did as a linux admin, you might qualify for the full cert instead of just the associate.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend waiting a few months until Eric Conrad drops his 3rd iteration of CISSP study guide. Early next year. But until then use some free sources like Kelly Handerhan Cybrary IT videos and the sunflower notes
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    Thank you all. I will get the Eric Conard book when it comes out next year. Also, will keep in mind the full CISSP rather than associate.
  • Options
    walter17walter17 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    (ISC)2 now recommends the new Sybex CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official study guide, Seventh Edition. It's a lot better than the previous official study guide from ISC2.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ Agreed, get this book, why wait, study nowww! :D I have this book and it is really good so far. You can always pick up the conrad book later as well.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have this book and its not bad, just a bit wordy at times. If I was just starting my studying, I'd wait for the new Eric Conrad book.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are on budget, I would recommend the following:

- CISSP Sutdy Guide, 3rd Edition - Eric Conrad (Available Dec 29th)
    - Eleventh Hour CISSP, 2nd Edition - Eric Conrad
    - Cybrary CISSP training - FREE and highly recommended!!! https://www.cybrary.it/ They even have .mp3s you can download to listen while on the road. Again, 100% FREE!
    - CCCURE practices questions ($50-$100)

I just started studying by reviewing the 11th hour book and watching Cybrary videos. I'm also getting access to SANS MGT414 OnDemand course for 4 months but work is paying for that. If they were not paying for anything, I would do everything I just recommended based on what I have read on here.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi guys

I'm wondering if Eric Conrad 3rd edition is still The Book or there's something better. I'm planning to get the 11th hour 2nd edition book as well.

At the moment, I'm studying Cybrary and Larry Greenblatt youtube lectures.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I liked the Eric Conrad book 3rd edition. Its the only book I completely read and supplemented it with cybrary it videos and I passed my test.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig