adminpak cant find domain

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
I am trying to admin my 2000 domain via windows xp. So i downloaded the win2003 server adminpak. It installed fine. Now when I try to use functions like active directory users/computers, I get an error..

It said something like naming system error
could not find domain, or domain does not exist.

I tried to look on the event viewer, but this error was not there.
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    This is the error, Well one very close to it.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1054
    Date: 8/2/2003
    Time: 12:57:44 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JOHNNY
    Description:
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm - I always remote admin using VNC myself. The first thing I would check is that the 03 admin pack can run on XP - I don't think that would be a problem, but better to check.
    What I see as the problem is that you have a typo on the domain name.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Eh... I just d/led this (yes, it is made to run on XP machines with SP1) and had the same problems. I'll mess with it another day, unless the OP gets it sorted out soon.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The 1054 event is usually caused because the client can't reach the preferred DNS server. Do you have the correct preferred DNS server configured in your TCP/IP props?

Why use the 2003 admin adminpak for a 2000 domain icon_confused.gif
    Whoops - that is what I meant lazyart ... works on XP machine, but will it work on a 2K domain?
    www.supercross.com
    It's made for both 2000 and 2003 servers. This is quite a bit over my head (which makes it more intriguing).
    haha - over my head too. I will leave 03 alone until I finish my 2K certs - don't want to confuse myself. I have a copy, but it will stay unloaded until I am ready :)

Johan is correct with the 1054 error message ... The problem can be caused by having an invalid or unreachable Preferred DNS server address in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties.

Use ipconfig or nslookup to troubleshoot that :)
    www.supercross.com
    Wow.. I just got educated here...

Going on Russ's idea I went to my LAN connection properties and entered 10.0.0.1 into my preferred DNS server address (where I previously had none). Then I logged off locally and logged on again onto my domain.

It usually takes more than a minute to log onto the domain. Now getting in was not noticeably different from logging on to the machine as a local user. On top of that I was able to browse Active Directory, view logs, etc remotely.

This all because I all my machines connect to the router, which allows for net access even if the server is not running. I guess my options are to enter a preferred DNS server, with the alternate pointing to 10.0.0.1.

Ahhh, i just had another geek moment. I need a cigarette. icon_lol.gif
    Sorry, went to go see pirates of the caribean..

Anyway, I need to check my tcp/ip settings. I dont think i did anything for DNS.

The w2k adminpak was not made to work on xp. So when they made w2003 server, the integrated it. It is said to work for remote admin via xp..

pandimus
    you guys rock!!.. That was exactly the problem.. Now I log-on hella fast..

pandimus
    Of course I rock dood - I'm a bad ass bass playin moto racer icon_wink.gif

Johan .... what do you think we should charge him for our advice???
    www.supercross.com
    RussS wrote:
    Johan .... what do you think we should charge him for our advice???

Actually, I've just send out an invoice... to both of you! Since you gave him the same advice I already did. icon_wink.gif The invoice includes a clause that states that you'll have to pay me everytime you solve someones "1054 event".

There are two lessons to be learned here for those that want to move up :

1. if you are on the job, always make sure you get credit for your work/advice... or someone else will. icon_lol.gif
    2. if you are on the job, always try to get credit for someone else's work/advice... or the someone will icon_clown.gif

(Sorry... its been a hot day... and you all know what tastes extra good when it's hot drunken_smilie.gif)
    So what you are saying is you would like beer for payment?
    I think it has a better exchange rate than the USD currently, but... let's not ;)
    Hey, lets not go there.. America's exchange rate can be a contraversial issue.. :D
    Yeah... you're right, that might lead to another political dicussion icon_rolleyes.gif