Options

How do you connect a DSL modem to a Cisco Router?

was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

i have always wondered how you would connect and configure a Cisco 2900 router with your DSL or Cable modem? Anybody ever done it? do you need a special modem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if its a router you can do it to ways

1. run the dsl in bridge mode where it acts purely as a bridge from the dsl service to the ethernet port which would have to have all the standard dsl stuff set up on it ( the router would get the real actual address from the isp)

pppoe config
    chap authenication
    username password

2. let the dsl router pass the cisco ethernet port a local lan address from the router. ( the dsl router would get the real address from isp and serve the router a private address)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i picked option # 1 - keenon :D
    since option # 2 was a router function not a pure modem..

cheers..
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    if its a router you can do it to ways

1. run the dsl in bridge mode where it acts purely as a bridge from the dsl service to the ethernet port which would have to have all the standard dsl stuff set up on it ( the router would get the real actual address from the isp)

pppoe config
    chap authenication
    username password

2. let the dsl router pass the cisco ethernet port a local lan address from the router. ( the dsl router would get the real address from isp and serve the router a private address)

Would option 2 work if that local lan address is dynamic? My ISP provides my digital tv in the same box. The configuration of this box can't be altered and it is a DHCP server. I'd be trying to connect it to a 2514 (dual lan router).

Thanks
  • Options
    zomzom Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wat if the isp that i am dialing to r using the dynamic ip address? will it still works? thx.
    MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3, MCDBA