Networking Cert Path

BytezBytez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Looking for some opinions/critique on the certification path I've decided on during the last 3/4 weeks.

I'm in my early twenties and am currently working in a System Administration role. The technology/hardware used in this role is primarily, Windows Server 2008/2012, Exchange 2010/Office365, Azure, Citrix, VMWare, Cisco, CommVault
I've worked worked my way up from 1st line support (3 years) and 2nd line support (1.5years).

Although early in my career to decide on specialization, I would like to focus on network security. (I haven't had a chance to look into the granular levels of network security but I will do that throughout the holiday period)
I know that nothing will replace the hands-on experience but as far as certifications go I've chosen the below.

- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Cisco CCENT (ICDN1)
- Cisco CCNA (ICDN2)
- Cisco CCNA | Security

I've set myself a date of 1st July 2016, by then I would have liked to obtained my CCNA Security and be in a more Network orientated role.
I will start looking at what other certifications I can work towards once I've achieved the above. (Suggestions more than welcome now though)

Some will say that I should go straight into the CCENT but I wanted to really understand the foundations by taking the N+ & S+.
It's been almost 6 years since I did any kind of study (I left school at 16) so I thought it would be a good way to re-establish how I study best.

My study resources will include,

- CBT Nuggets
- Pluralsight
- ExamCram (Network+)
- Cisco ViRL, Packet Tracer
- ESXi Lab
- Cisco 2960 Switch

I would appreciate any other suggestions or comments on the above path I will be working towards as of this weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My only comment is to skip the Network+. The CCENT should cover most of that and it really wont help boost the beginning of your network career at all.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go to WGU and you can get all those certs in the Security path plus a degree. icon_thumright.gif

If that's not an option then I'd recommend just studying the concepts for the N+ then moving on to the CCENT/CCNA. Unless money isn't an issue (or your company pays for it), then by all means take the exam.

CCNA: Security IMO isn't that great of a cert unless you plan on going down the whole CCNA Security tree. A lot of S+ overlapped. Only thing that really didn't were ACLs, but you can mess with those on your own.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree on WGU, get a degree and certs, always better. With that at what your level indicates browsing over the Net+ course work should be enough. As a Systems Admin I would expect that you could pass the exam with little effort. Don't waste your money on CBT as Plurarsight is just as good.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you need Network+
    CCNA is better
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU is a great Option but if you cant afford it then Just go for Sec+/ CCNAX

you say you want to cover your basics with networking that's fine but you don't need to take the Net+ if you are committed to taking CCNA. Study all the basics and then go into intermediate and take your CCNAX on test is easier than two.

Now if for some reason you will get all this paid for free than take them but if its coming out your pocket go CCNAX.
    Security+ on the other hand is great to show basics of Security comprehension and it allows you to get government jobs as well
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't Skip Net+. It teaches you all the basics like cable types, different ends and structured wiring. Net+ is more useful then CCENT in the general networking field. With that being said, The Cisco certs are more well know and will get you the job over a Net+ cert. I did the exact plan and has worked out very well for me. I think what everyone is trying to say is, If you don't plan on certifying on NET+, atleast read the book and watch the videos.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll agree with some others saying skip the Net+. Think you can learn cables and connectors and how they are wired on your own pretty easy. (Couple minutes on Google) Everything else you'll learn in CCENT as far as the basics.

Maybe like Honda said, watch some videos or get a book on basic networking and cables. Learn their different speeds, speed at certain lengths, what cables are for what and why... Don't believe the CCENT went into cabling much (if at all)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would not pay for the NET+ ... I found that the overlap was over 90% when I carefully documented and created video blogs about the differences of them. I took them back to back and you can always just read through the NET+ material and not put up almost 300.00$ for an exam that as soon as you get the CCENT will become invisible.

At a certain point, 300$ for an exam like that isn't worth the return imho. Covering the CCENT will get you almost all of the fundamentals you would have come across covering Network+... just cover it without taking the exam... But this only applies if you are going to guranatee that you will get CCENT>CCNA>ETC