Options

As a techie in the HVAC industry this video made me super excited

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
Ok, maybe I'm the only one who geeks out over this but hot damn, this video of Google's data center is schweet. They have their condensing coils right up against their racks and run their DC's at 80 degrees. At the end of the video you see their line of cooling towers, its like 2 football fields long...

I remember working on an AT&T data center and the generators for the Tier 4 dc would produce 70MPH winds when they were running these were generators the size of train engines.

I gotta add, I've never seen someone skating through a data center pushing along a cart of rack parts before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmGGAbHqa0&amp

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Pushing the hand cart that well on a razor was hands down the most impressive part of the video.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Ya, I was watching that and was like um, that is a disaster waiting to happen. I mean those carts are hard enough to push by themselves.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Netapp's GDL2 has a interesting HVAC setup, this video doesn't really show or tell you much about it though. If you live near the area you should definitely try and take an in-person tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9BoaapsOI
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Ya, I live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Nothing cool up here that I am aware of...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Plenty of wind in Wisconsin and the naturally cold air should allow someone to build a 100% renewable energy data center running free-air cooling circulated from the outside without the need for A/C. Facebook has a datacenter in Sweden that uses free-air, and Intel proved you can run one in New Mexico. I'd take the .2% higher equipment failure rate on stuff that I will upgrade anyway over the high monthly A/C bills. Perhaps the only thing holding Wisconsin back is the lack of good transport interconnect?
  • Options
    Rick9Rick9 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I read 'HVAC' I immediately thought of linking the BAM blog, then I saw the OP. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Lol, well at least I have 1 person's name recognition icon_biggrin.gif